Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

No not at all. In my opinion he always seemed a striker with potential to go further than the first divison. If we are looking at Hemmings who played a few games at Cowdenbeath then see no reason why we should have been looking at Stewart who seemed to be even more highly rated than Hemmings.

I'd imagine the big difference is Stewart is part time whereas Hemmings has been full time. Even both being relatively young in their early twenties that will make a huge difference, In his two cameo appearances Hemmings has shown he's strong, nippy and done just about everything right. If he's good enough a striker then everything else seems in place.

Btw I'm not making a case for signing Hemmings as such. He may be too similar to Baird plus we may still be looking for height but why then trial him?

To-Days Express says Partick Thistle are making a shock move for Isaac Osbourne. He left Aberdeen to be near his family in the midlands..But so far has been unable to find a club.

another midfielder, and quite injury prone?

Edited by yoda-jag

I'd imagine the big difference is Stewart is part time whereas Hemmings has been full time. Even both being relatively young in their early twenties that will make a huge difference, In his two cameo appearances Hemmings has shown he's strong, nippy and done just about everything right. If he's good enough a striker then everything else seems in place.

Btw I'm not making a case for signing Hemmings as such. He may be too similar to Baird plus we may still be looking for height but why then trial him?

Not idsagreeing what what you are saying but the other side of the coin is that Stewart has played regularly for the last few years whereas Kane appears to have played little for either Rangers or Cowdenbeath which of course can be down to a number of reasons but one may be that Stewart has been more highly rated than Kane and my concern is if he was not highly enough rated to regularly hold down a place with Rangers in Divison 3 or Cowdenbeath in Divison One then entirely sure he should be a priority, but again as you say there are other factors to consider.

Also you would expect him to shine during pre season games otehrwise there would be little point in him going on trial and eprsonally I dont believe pre season games give an accurate picture of how good players are - I remember Stefan Bonnes, John Paul McBride and Jean Yves Anis giving the impression of being great during pre season but failing to live up to the hype when the proper football started

Edited by Third Lanark

Not idsagreeing what what you are saying but the otehr side of the coin is that Stewart has played regularly for the last few years whereas Kane appears to have played little for either Rangers or Cowdenbeath which of course can be down to a number of reasons but one may be that Stewart has been more highly rated than Kane and my concern is if he was not highly enough rated to regularly hold down a place with Rangers in Divison 3 or Cowdenbeath in Divison One then entirely sure he should be a priority, but again as you say there are other factors to consider

Longest sentence ever.

Isaac Osbourne could be an excellent signing. I think it could be fair to assume he's every bit as good as Paton and probably better. It's his injury record that would be a major drawback.

& it's another midfielder when we have plenty already.

We still need a centre half & an Erskine 'replacement'.

I wonder if Friday will produce a signing again? One more friendly to go before the serious stuff.

Hemmings has signed for Cowdenbeath.

Can't disagree.

I'm not so sure tho' there is an affordable Erskine replacement about and if so, one who wants to join us. One possibility albeit a compromise would be to give Bannigan, maybe even Craigen, a freer role. The only way to do that would be to have a very sound holding midfielder to take up the slack.

By process of elimination we're surely going to find a centre back that'll suit us. Lost count how many have been on trial for us so far.

I wonder if Friday will produce a signing again? One more friendly to go before the serious stuff.

I'd agree we still need a centre half and erskine replacement but I don't think we have plenty midfielders. We lost Paton and Erskine and have replaced them (in person not in type) with Kerr and Mukendi. Our squad last season was very tight and going into the SPL with the same number of bodies would be a mistake.

I think if we want to stay up then we need a centre half, left back, holding midfielder, attacking winger and striker. Or else over the course of the season our squad will be too thin.

From the end of last season we've lost Dowie and Archie (as he hasn't played in pre season and hasn't taken a squad number). Unless we're planning to use Lindsay or do something unexpected like play 3 at the back and use Murray as a sweeper (I'm not suggesting we should do this) I think we need 2 centre halves.

Cairney did totally fall out of favour with Hibs after his horrorshow in their cup semi vs Falkirk when he was subbed at HT when they were 3-0 down- his form had steadily declined after a great start- but he was in the paper saying he was looking forward to the season as it was a clean slate.

I'd take him back, certainly, might be worth looking at a loan deal near the transfer window if he doesn't play the first few games for hibs with a view to signing him in January if he plays well (like Stevie Craig last year) although I suppose the difference would be Hibs would be unlikely to give us him cheaply if he was playing well!

Edited by Ancipital

Who is the centre half to replace ?

Archie/Dowie? McMillan can play centre half too but would still like to see another one brought in. We won't get an Erskine replace, people need to accept that. We can get someone to play the Erskine role from within the current squad, albeit not in the Erskine way. Top priority is a bustling centre forward as far as I'm concerned. Also hopeful of getting lawless signing a contract extension but can't see that happening, sadly.

Edited by Scamps