One Step Forward Two Steps Back

Norgethistle

Thanks for editing my post and not including the rest of it.

No disrespect to Maxi, but unless he has a business degree i'm unaware of, i don't think he's suited to the job... overseeing a team of folk yes, but doing the day to day? no, it's too much for one guy.

he needs a team of young enthuisiastic staff, maybe a grad programme of sorts, where we take on 3 Uni Grads for a year to break them into the Small Business World. Him overseeing that, i think would work very well.

Edited by potty trained

Not disagreeing with the majority of your post but do they? Do they really? I think we're exaggerating how professional any club of our size (or smaller) is in this country. We all make do as best we can. Should we do better? Yes, but lets not exaggerate our performance relative to others.

Yes teams of similar size do excel.

i think its sad that we as fans look to our club to "do as best we can". that to me is accepting mediocre business management and accepting that things will not be done in a professional manner.

Apart from being disrespectful to ....er, Maxi, that is actually hilarious. Some of most inept chancers I've met in business were overly keen to wave their MBA in my face within 5 minutes of meeting them. It's nota pre-requisite or guarantee of ability or success.

I don't know if you above know but all three of you have made valid points that would be very hard to disagree with........

Yes there's other non professionally run clubs out there.

Yes we do tend to accept mediocre management

Yes there's academically qualified managers who are totally useless

Don't really know why I brought this up apart from to say it would be better to suggest ways to improve non football management of PTFC. Just saying it's crap, not relatively that bad etc is way too subjective.

Thanks for editing my post and not including the rest of it.

hadn't noticed that sort of thing is not the done thing on here. ever.

irrespective of my shortcomings in editing skills, i'm not really getting the link between academic qualifications and ability to meet the considerable challenges of running a top flight football club. why would recruiting 3 (very specific!) uni graduates work very well - genuine question?

hadn't noticed that sort of thing is not the done thing on here. ever.

irrespective of my shortcomings in editing skills, i'm not really getting the link between academic qualifications and ability to meet the considerable challenges of running a top flight football club. why would recruiting 3 (very specific!) uni graduates work very well - genuine question?

It was just disappointing that you chose to ignore the part where I compliment where I think he would be better suited.

It's a pity that you can't seem to be able to even entertain my suggestion on how the business side of the club can be improved. I take it you think everything's just tickety boo, as it is.

We appointed a player, who I still wait to be corrected, carried no business qualification or experience at the time. Who else was interviewed to fill a position that had never been held at the club?

I would say that graduates who have gained qualifications in marketing, sales, accountancy, contract law possibly, have more knowledge in how to run the business side of a football club more efficiently than an ex footballer.

Again, it should be stressed that I am not slating maxi, he is doing his job to the best of his ability, and with the knowledge I had at the time, I suggested an alternative to what is blatantly obvious a failing set up.

The fact that things are getting worse since my original post. Proves the model we have is not working.

But again, for clarity, I don't point any blame at maxi (I think I get on quite well with him, he did after all introduce me to TTL) or his helpers door. I lay it firmly with our board of directors.

Edited by potty trained

• Members

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall hearing from a former Director that Maxi has a business degree and owing to his footballing background, may be ideally suited to the job he is currently in.

It may well be that even if he does have a degree, he's not very good at the job that he is currently in and that's a totally different kettle of fish!

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall hearing from a former Director that Maxi has a business degree and owing to his footballing background, may be ideally suited to the job he is currently in. It may well be that even if he does have a degree, he's not very good at the job that he is currently in and that's a totally different kettle of fish!

Isn't his degree in engineering?

I could be wrong about that, though.

It seems, they got some things right. It looks like they have sold a lot of advertising with the new electronic board.

Or were they just for the Telly game??

I certainly hope they are just for televised games. From the JHS the electronic boards were very annoying. Hard to see the far side action when it is played in front of a constantly moving background.

Another example of the paying customer being inconvenienced for the great god TV.

• Like 1

I certainly hope they are just for televised games. From the JHS the electronic boards were very annoying. Hard to see the far side action when it is played in front of a constantly moving background.

Another example of the paying customer being inconvenienced for the great god TV.

I found myself momentarily hypnotised watching a line of little fishes on yon touchline electronic screen. Of course maybe I was just having yet another senior moment.

• 4 months later...

Bring this back up with the shambles of the Celtic tickets, and the office being shut from 11am on the 20th till Boxing day, then closed till 29th even though we are meant to be trying to sell 1/2 ST's, Celtic tickets and 5 game packages.

5 months on and with the exception of the CF being drawn on time nothing has improved

Celtic tickets was a shambles in as much as we only really found out via word of mouth. No idea about the issues surrounding the size of the allocation, or where the 'blame' is for this and I do think ST holders should have had priority.

However, I feel office opening times were well advertised online and certainly in line with a lot of other workplaces I deal with. Advertised as closing at 12noon - I made sure I got up there before then (around 1130). I'm unsure who it was that said they couldn't get in at 11am, but I definitely got mine after that. 1/2 STs and 5 game packages available to purchase online or in person during advertised opening. Admittedly, the 'in-person' opening wasn't great for anybody working 'normal' 9-5 or wanting to present something tangible as a Xmas gift, but as i've said it is in line with a lot of workplaces and with previous seasons.

I agree the CF draws are an improvement. I cancelled my subscription as it was getting beyond a farce, but might be forced to rejoin if they keep this up!

However, I feel office opening times were well advertised online and certainly in line with a lot of other workplaces I deal with. Advertised as closing at 12noon - I made sure I got up there before then (around 1130). I'm unsure who it was that said they couldn't get in at 11am, but I definitely got mine after that. 1/2 STs and 5 game packages available to purchase online or in person during advertised opening. Admittedly, the 'in-person' opening wasn't great for anybody working 'normal' 9-5 or wanting to present something tangible as a Xmas gift, but as i've said it is in line with a lot of workplaces and with previous seasons.

I couldn't get in a little after 12, the biggest shopping days of the year (Friday and Saturday before Xmas) we are closed for almost all of it, how do we expect people to part with their money if there is no outlay to do so. The office used to extend its opening hours on the run up to Xmas, but those days have gone

• 4 months later...