Archie's Only Mistake

Jaggy1967

Letting big Stevie Craig go.

Over the last few weeks it is obvious a player like him could have made the difference in a few games, none more than today when so many excellent crosses were put in and there was no one to get on the end of them.

We are good but we could be so much better !

• Like 1

I happen to agree with the op to an extent. There have so many balls flashed in from sincy and o donnel that last year son of joe was tapping in. I think we would have beaten Hearts if he'd been playing. And maybe equalised vs Motherwell. Who knows? But I do think he would improve our options if we still had him, but we don't, got to trust archie, he knows what he's doing.

Stevie scored for Wycombe today! Higginbotham could be the signing of the season. He was fecking immense today but I still want to see us get another striker in. We could have won the game 6 or 7-1 today if we had someone to convert all the chances we make.

Edited by Lindau

Baird (although I have a bet on with my dad that he won't score a league goal this season) does x10 the work Craig did. A menace.

He, Higgy and Lawless ran the St. Mirren ragged in the first half. They didn't have a clue who to mark and ended up switching to zonal marking after about 20 minutes.

I can actually see Archie starting with Baird in the future and bringing Doolan on once Baird has tired the defence out.

However, everyone will see the game differently. I just think that this team is more than just about having a "striker". It's a fluid system and needs nippy, clever players who can play wide, in midfield or up top. Baird, Doolan, Higgy and Lawless can all do that.

Having said that, I am concerned about the lack of a Plan B. Maybe we need a disgusting brute of a player to help us through the sticky run that will come.

• Like 1

I don't think Archie made a mistake letting Stevie go but he may have made a mistake in not finding an adequate replacement. Baird is not showing anything yet and will have to improve considerably to prove his worth in the team.

On today's showing it was the wrong call to start him before Doolan.

I don't think Archie made a mistake letting Stevie go but he may have made a mistake in not finding an adequate replacement. Baird is not showing anything yet and will have to improve considerably to prove his worth in the team.

On today's showing it was the wrong call to start him before Doolan.

Agree with most of this, except that (and for obvious reasons it can never be proven) Son of Joe might well have adapted to the SPL like the rest have done.

Because Derek Adams discarded him doesn't mean he was not capable. Adams had money available to upgrade at that time.

Son of Joe worked in our system last year, might have been good to give him until the transfer window to see if he could cut it in the SPL.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Thank goodness for Motherwell. Without them we might never have ventured across Higginbotham and Forbes. And maybe others?

And, I am in the 'we should've given SoJ a chance to show his worth in the Premiership as he might well've turned out to be the big, strong target man that would've helped us to convert a few of the recently squandered chances we worked so hard and skilfully to create, albeit he would've by and large been a squad player' camp.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

think our CB's were getting bullied just like last week.

Thompson was physical but that's about it. Conrad and Aaron were battered about a wee bit but Fox barely had a save to make. They're doing great though we've found that the odd mistake or lapse in concentration is more likely to be punished this season relative to last.

Thompson was physical but that's about it. Conrad and Aaron were battered about a wee bit but Fox barely had a save to make. They're doing great though we've found that the odd mistake or lapse in concentration is more likely to be punished this season relative to last.

Yeah, think their both liable to losing concentration and f*nnying around with the ball at the back at times,was a five/ten minute period after they scored when we kept giving the ball to their forwards. Thankfully they were so shocking that they were unable to capitalise on these errors. However, if they are not sorted we will be caught out at this level Ah well, feck it we won and we're wonderful!!! :worship::clapping: