Jags - Dons

The Cup

Noticed this http://www.eveningex...e.aspx/3389938? In the interests of consistency should we not be handing over the North Stand to the Dons? Or are their smoke bombs and flares* less of a risk than those of our city rivals?

*Excuse my ignorance but are smoke bombs and flares the same thing?

Smoke bombs are self-explanatory really, flares are trousers with wide bottoms that were popular in the 1970's and, so I am told, remain popular in the north east. It's easy to imagine that appearing 40 years behind the times would indeed cause embarassment.

Spoke to my Dons supporting mate. They've sent back 1,000 tickets to Firhill that will be available on the day.

He reckons its because lots of their fans don't want to buy tickets and have their names known due to previous mistreatment by the police in Glasgow.

I reckon it is because they are diddies.

Team for tomorrow, on the assumption Balatoni is fit then:

Fox

O'Donnell - Muirhead - Balatoni - Taylor-Sinclair

Osbourne - Bannigan

Lawless - Craigen - Higginbotham

Doolan

Doolan did well when he came on against St Mirren, setting up the winner. So he gets the nod ahead of Baird. Let's hope the injuries weaken the Aberdeen team, if they do I can see us notching our first home win of the season.

With Aberdeen missing some of their most influential players in Anderson, Flood, Robson and McGinn, tomorrow is a really good opportunity to get points against a team that I, like many others, expect to finish near the top of the league. It will be interesting to see whether they go long, looking for Zola and then pick up the second ball or whether they'll try to exploit our full-backs with Wylde and Pawlett's pace. On that second point, I expect O'Donnell and Sinclair to be slightly less cavalier in their attacking to ensure we don't get caught on a counter. Should that happen, it could turn into a bit of a stalemate but it would be better to err on the side of caution.

Hoping that Welsh makes a welcome return to the starting lineup as he was extremely impressive in the opening games. Despite being slightly unfair on Osbourne who played well against St Mirren, I would bring Welsh straight back in alongside Bannigan. Balatoni would be a big miss; Gabriel may well thrive on a physical battle with Zola but I don't think he's ready for the first team yet - still strikes me as an accident waiting to happen. Doolan in for Baird for pretty obvious reasons. Other than that, it should be "as you were" from the St Mirren game.

Gabriel may well thrive on a physical battle with Zola but I don't think he's ready for the first team yet - still strikes me as an accident waiting to happen.

May well have validity in saying that but sometime we're going to have to play Gabriel. I don't see how he's going to ever be ready for the first team if he doesn't get a run out. We're unlikely to play minor opposition in the League Cup again and with that in mind I'd rather see Gabriel play a league game sooner than later.