Real Jags Versus Inverness Fake Thistle

kni

Law XVII — Corner Kick

A corner kick is awarded to the attacking team when any member of the defending team plays the ball over the end line. A kick is taken from the quarter circle, with a radius of 1 yard, which is marked in each of the four corners of the field. The ball must be placed within the quarter circle at the defending side's end line nearest to where the ball went out of play. The kicker may not touch the ball a second time until it has been touched by another player. A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick. All defenders must remain 10 yards from the ball until it has traveled the distance of its circumference.

Well done to James Craigen. I think that the linesman would have allowed the goal had it not been for James running over.

This is right. The moment the linesman ordered Craigen away the move was buggered. They have a much bigger complaint about the 2nd disallowed goal. Fox panicked and pulled the guy down, straightforward penalty. Apart from that and booking Osborne for bugger all, thought the ref was OK.

The whistle could be heard well before the ball was put in the net so nothing that happened after that matters. Even if Fox did pull someone down it wouldn't matter.

^ ^ ^ That nails it for me, BR. The moment the AR shoos Craigen away, it can only be for the purpose of allowing the corner to be taken. It was a cunning plan of ICT's which wasn't all that cunning: the initial 'taker' firstly touches the ball with his foot by standing on it, and then taps it about 6 or 8 inches back towards the flag. So, that's him deciding it's now been taken just because he's let the AR know. At the point where JC retreats to defend the corner kick, on the AR's instructions, play has to be pulled back at some point and a goal cannot be awarded. In summary, we were not lucky with this outcome, but could've been unlucky with a different official.

Not the slightest bit amused by the ranting of torn-faced McCann in the studio: hard to tell who was more indignant at the officials' performance - McCann or Butcher. McCann was having a wee heart attack in the studio when they were discussing ICT's second disallowed goal. The way I saw it was that they had been targeting Foxy every time they got balls into the box, from set pieces or otherwise; Scott and their attacker were having a tussle, admittedly a very brief one and the attacker effectively out-muscled Fox who grabbed him but on his way down. Not clear at all who was more at fault. But the referee does nothing wrong by awarding a foul against them; standard decision where there's a ruck in the box which involves the keeper.

We shouldn't just take heart from the result, but also the performance; we were superb in the way we tried to attack them whenever the opportunity arose. Far more 7 out of 10 performances or better than failures. Outstanding for me were Doolan (obviously), ATS, Ozzy and Welsh - who made a magnificent full turn and pass to ATS to set up the bizarrely named Brill for KD's superb piece of opportunism for winner.

Interviewer after the game: "Terry, can you summarise the ninety minutes for us?"

Butcher: "No."

Interviewer (should've said): "Well, in that case GIRFUY ya greetin faced sour grapes h un b*sturt."

Magnificent result AND performance from this brave young team of lion hearts under the class-packed and dignified stewardship of Sir Alan Archibald.

Bring on those Tims!

• Like 2

^ ^ ^ That nails it for me, BR. The moment the AR shoos Craigen away, it can only be for the purpose of allowing the corner to be taken. It was a cunning plan of ICT's which wasn't all that cunning: the initial 'taker' firstly touches the ball with his foot by standing on it, and then taps it about 6 or 8 inches back towards the flag. So, that's him deciding it's now been taken just because he's let the AR know. At the point where JC retreats to defend the corner kick, on the AR's instructions, play has to be pulled back at some point and a goal cannot be awarded. In summary, we were not lucky with this outcome, but could've been unlucky with a different official.

Not the slightest bit amused by the ranting of torn-faced McCann in the studio: hard to tell who was more indignant at the officials' performance - McCann or Butcher. McCann was having a wee heart attack in the studio when they were discussing ICT's second disallowed goal. The way I saw it was that they had been targeting Foxy every time they got balls into the box, from set pieces or otherwise; Scott and their attacker were having a tussle, admittedly a very brief one and the attacker effectively out-muscled Fox who grabbed him but on his way down. Not clear at all who was more at fault. But the referee does nothing wrong by awarding a foul against them; standard decision where there's a ruck in the box which involves the keeper.

We shouldn't just take heart from the result, but also the performance; we were superb in the way we tried to attack them whenever the opportunity arose. Far more 7 out of 10 performances or better than failures. Outstanding for me were Doolan (obviously), ATS, Ozzy and Welsh - who made a magnificent full turn and pass to ATS to set up the bizarrely named Brill for KD's superb piece of opportunism for winner.

Interviewer after the game: "Terry, can you summarise the ninety minutes for us?"

Butcher: "No."

Interviewer (should've said): "Well, in that case GIRFUY ya greetin faced sour grapes h un b*sturt."

Magnificent result AND performance from this brave young team of lion hearts under the class-packed and dignified stewardship of Sir Alan Archibald.

Bring on those Tims!

BRAVO! !BRILLIANT post!

The whistle could be heard well before the ball was put in the net so nothing that happened after that matters. Even if Fox did pull someone down it wouldn't matter.

Well I'm well aware the ref gave us a foul. Doesn't really change the fact that Fox was the only player that committed an offence. The ref got it wrong and we got a lucky. Far more contentious than the earlier incident, although that is what the media will no doubt focus on.

Brilliant result, especially considering the St Midden and Killie results yesterday. Great all round performance and not one failure IMO. Not many teams will go to ICT this season and get any points. Interesting to see if any of the people who were calling for Doolan to be dropped and questioning his ability will have the grace to admit they were wrong. Or are they too busy eating some humble pie?

They were a right nasty bunch of cheating, diving idiots. I was thrilled to see us give them a good stuffing. Might be slightly controversial here, but I'd much rather have the likes of Falkirk, Morton and The Pars in the league rather than that lot.

And I too would vote for Blackpool Jags. Best poster on here by a mile!

They were a right nasty bunch of cheating, diving idiots. I was thrilled to see us give them a good stuffing. Might be slightly controversial here, but I'd much rather have the likes of Falkirk, Morton and The Pars in the league rather than that lot.

And I too would vote for Blackpool Jags. Best poster on here by a mile!

The names Novo and Imrie spring to mind!!

Law XVII — Corner Kick

A corner kick is awarded to the attacking team when any member of the defending team plays the ball over the end line. A kick is taken from the quarter circle, with a radius of 1 yard, which is marked in each of the four corners of the field. The ball must be placed within the quarter circle at the defending side's end line nearest to where the ball went out of play. The kicker may not touch the ball a second time until it has been touched by another player. A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick. All defenders must remain 10 yards from the ball until it has traveled the distance of its circumference.

BR, you've taken that from a really old laws book. The ball having to travel the distance of it's circumferance at a free kick and corner kick was changed years ago. The ball only needs to be kicked and move, which it did. It doesn't even have to leave the arc or travel in a certain direction. I'm as happy as the next Jags fan that the goal was disallowed, but there's no question the corner was correctly taken but the AR stuffed up.

FYI

Procedure

• The ball must be placed inside the corner arc nearest to the point where

the ball crossed the goal line

• The corner flagpost must not be moved

Opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc until

the ball is in play

• The ball must be kicked by a player of the attacking team

The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves

• The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player

I thought it took us a while to get into the game today and play our normal game. For the first ten minutes I thought our plan was to hit long balls all day to Doolan. As I stated in another thread yesterday, I thought Craigen should start as he is more likely to produce an assist in a goal as he did today. In fact if you look at the goal barely moments before his run into penalty area he's on the halfway line. Pity his finishing is poor. We need to start second half's better as both in the Killie game and this one we lost goals early after the restart as if we're not concentrating enough. However, even if at times our defence looks lackadaisical, it is amazing they have never conceded more than one goal in any match except the Aberdeen one, so they must be doing something right.

I thought it took us a while to get into the game today and play our normal game. For the first ten minutes I thought our plan was to hit long balls all day to Doolan. As I stated in another thread yesterday, I thought Craigen should start as he is more likely to produce an assist in a goal as he did today. In fact if you look at the goal barely moments before his run into penalty area he's on the halfway line. Pity his finishing is poor. We need to start second half's better as both in the Killie game and this one we lost goals early after the restart as if we're not concentrating enough. However, even if at times our defence looks lackadaisical, it is amazing they have never conceded more than one goal in any match except the Aberdeen one, so they must be doing something right.

When it's Balatoni and Aaron 1 goal max conceded.

Aberdeen game was the Gabby debacle and should be eliminated from all statistical analysis

Please excuse for not having had time to read previous posts. I'm not long back from Inverness and had to go to the pub. Anyway about the corner thingy. Clearly the linesman shooed Craigen away thus denying him any possible opportunity of defending the guy picking up the ball from the corner arc. Should the linesman not then have immediately signaled the ref that all was not kosher?

It looked to me having the benefit of being quite close to the incident that the linesman realised his error in slow motion hence the lateness of drawing the ref's attention.

What I'm totally clueless about is whether the corner should've been retaken or not. I can't quite see where the ICT player did anything wrong unless the linesman had told the fella that rolled the ball that he wasn't accepting that. As I say I'm just in from the pub but can't see the fairness in allowing a goal when Craigen primarily and the rest of the team secondarily were effectively wrongfooted by the linesman.

Restarted with a free-kick to Thistle.

Having been at the game (and seated only about 20 yards from the corner flag) and now watched it on TV, the key factor is that the Assistant Ref told Craigen to withdraw AFTER Draper had touched the ball and immediately before Doran started his run on goal.

Essentially, the goal was legal in as much as Draper moved the ball, which does not have to leave the quadrant to be in play, but illegal since the Assistant had incorrectly told Craigen to withdraw by indicating that it was not in play.

All in all a total screw up by the officials which would have left us fuming had the positions been reversed and we had been denied a goal.........and would have left us fuming had the goal stood!

So the right decision to deny the goal, following the wrong decision to tell Craigen to withdraw compounded by the wrong decision to not realise the error and flag long before the ball had got into the penalty area.

• Like 1

Watched the game on First Row Sports, and thought that it was the best performance by a Thistle team I've seen for many years. They deserved their win despite the (non) controversial corner kick goal, with our first goal simply outstanding. Not a failure in the side, and it would be unfair to single out any one player for extra praise. Onwards and upwards.