Just In

stillresigned

What a horrible day to watch a game of football, but the Jags warmed me up. Agreed with Archie when he said on Sportsound after the gamethat we maybe gave them too much respect for the first ten or fifteen minutes. But when we started playing we played well. Stuck to our passing game and at times looked very good. Unfortunately, gave away 2 soft goals 1 the first neither the goal keeper nor defence covered themselves in glory. The second Welsh I think got caught in possession in midfield and we were attacking and essentially got caught on the break. Perhaps an older wiser team would have saw the match out, instead of going hell for leather for a win. I thought the one big difference between the teams was the standard of finishing. Essentially Celtic took most of their chances, we didn't. Nothing startlingly new there then only I was very proud of my team today even Lennon said we are "a good team and can play a bit". Which is like someone else saying your Brazil. So disappointed yes, but gutted no I've seen enough of this side to think the best is yet to come. Big Isaac MotM by a country mile and superb support today.

• Like 1

I was a bit concerned after they scored the first goal, as they then had a couple of chances on the break. Fox made a few saves in the 1st half. 2nd half I think we were better than them and had a few chances ourselves. I thought pretty much everyone had a decent game and disappointed we didn't get a point.

An excellent performance that on another day could have came away with something from the game. Another good goal by Doolan – he has really come onto form.

Higginbottom would have been man of the match for me. Gave Celtic plenty of problems and of course set up the goal.

Welsh I thought played well first half but looked tired in the second. Got to wonder if he is fully fit.

Other standouts for me were Fox, Osbourne, Sinclair and Balatoni. Big Muirhead was at fault at both goals but when you have such a young defence then these mistakes are going to happen. Fox I thought committed himself to early at the goal but otherwise I thought he was again excellent for us.

Our young side will all learn from today and become better players.

Edited by Alan Murray

We controlled most of the game, Osbourne and Higginbotham were brilliant, come to expect it from Osbourne but that was Higginbotham's best game for us.

Celtic were a damp squib all round, on and off the park. I expect to beat them next time at FIrhill.

And despite all my moaning on here I thought the Main Stand was brilliant, I'd actually rather be in there, didn't lost any of the atmosphere and the view is much better, high but still comparitively close to the pitch up the back. Plus I could only see a couple hundred of their ****** fans down the front right of the North Stand which was a bonus.

No failures in the Thistle team today. Just a shame that their two goals came from errors; for the first Bannigan gave a horrendous short pass to ATS when the latter was marked, that led to a corner, and we lost another goal to a header from a set piece. For their second Welsh got caught in possession for the fourth time, and this time it was to be fatal. But apart from those lapses the team challenged, fought, and passed beautifully. Fox had a couple of excellent saves to keep us in it in the first half. ATS was impressive in all aspects of his game.

It's a shame that SOD isn't going on the runs into or outside of the opponents' defence the way we know he can do. It's depriving us of a valuable attacking option. Balatoni and Muirhead were excellent, though they'll be asking questions about the goal. Dools ran his heart out and scored, Elliott definitely gives the team a new lease of life when he comes on. Osbourne, another great shift. Man of the Match for me: Higginbotham. Tireless, got stuck in and about them, caused them no end of trouble.

A couple of long shots that we put in in the second half might have led to better things if the players had opted for one more pass, and a couple of moves in and around the box might have been a couple of longer snap-shots instead, but that's with the benefit of hindsight.

Excellent display, Jags. And the support from both stands was excellent too. Was a diseased-ridden bunch of vermin the other lot have as "supporters".

Edited by Jaggernaut

When you look at the money and squad available to Lennon they really should be winning games by 4 or 5 clear goals but I think we showed that we're not far away from competing in terms of talent and style of play. I think we're only going to get stronger and more experienced as the season goes on. One final point -how come Brown gets away with his tackle in the first 5 minutes yet Osbourne gets booked for his first foul of the game ?

• Like 1

We controlled most of the game, Osbourne and Higginbotham were brilliant, come to expect it from Osbourne but that was Higginbotham's best game for us.

Celtic were a damp squib all round, on and off the park. I expect to beat them next time at FIrhill.

And despite all my moaning on here I thought the Main Stand was brilliant, I'd actually rather be in there, didn't lost any of the atmosphere and the view is much better, high but still comparitively close to the pitch up the back. Plus I could only see a couple hundred of their ****** fans down the front right of the North Stand which was a bonus.

Sorry you had to see that. Apart from one or two brief looks, I couldn't even bring myself to look at any of them, it's such a distressing example of "humankind" gone bad.

I've raised some issues before with Muirhead and again it's two goals that are partly down to him. Welsh was at fault for the second but when level with the striker, Muirhead should of got a tackle in. He was also at fault last week against Caley. During the game he loses out on headers continuously. Not having a go but it has been a recurrent theme - he never had this issue last season. Think he needs some extra training with Archie and Paterson on how to deal with more physical players. Got every confidence this will improve. Balatoni has been outstanding and pre-season I thought it would be him, of the two, that would struggle.

As others have said, I thought Higginbotham was motm. No failures in the team - Bannigan had a decent first half, still a few lacklustre challenges/passes but an improvement. Still played excellent as a team and only a few individual errors have been the difference today.

Also, why at set pieces do we allow their player to stand infront of our keeper? I said at the time, that Doolan should of been pushing their player away to make room for Fox to save. Instead he wedged the Celtic player between himself and Fox. Meaning Fox couldn't dive and obviously there was no foul as the player stood still. Its basic basic tactics. One on each post and one guarding the keeper. The header wasn't far from Fox and he would of had a decent chance to save it if the Celtic boy was pushed away. This also very nearly cost us last week.

Anyway, overall an excellent performance, deserved a point. Everyone played their part and brilliant Doolan getting another goal. I make it 4 goals in 5 games? Even with a few mistakes that are highlighted, we are good enough to win any game this year.

Fox - few excellent saves, not much chance with either goal. 8/10

O'Donnell - defensively good, decent going forward. Still not hitting the by-line or going on runs but no complaints 8/10

Sinclair - defefensively sound and caused Celtic a lot of problems 9/10

Muirhead - few missed headers, not brilliant for either goal and distribution poorer. Overall still fairly solid, got to remember its against champions league opponents. 7/10

Balatoni - brilliant performance, yet again, could go on to play at a higher level 9/10

Osbourne - solid player, also surprisingly skillful and good passing set 9/10

Welsh - outwith getting caught on the ball 3/4 times he had a very good game. But he did cost us the second goal so 7/10

Bannigan - mixed feelings, not bad but not amazing. When he tries he is great but I think there's possibly a confidence or attitude issue just now. 7/10

Craigen - tirelessly worked, hassled Celtic all day. 8/10

Higginbotham - motm for me. Excellent all round play, involved in everything positive for us and also tracked back. Would of been 10 if he scored that chance in the second half. 9/10

Doolan - did his job which is pretty hard against Celtic, was never going to get much time on the ball. 8/10

Elliott and Forbes - neither got much chance when they came on but did ok. Felt Forbes could of helped O'Donnell out by hitting the right wing more and Elliott did some decent chasing down. 4/10

It's kinda funny to walk away from the game disappointed and feel happy at some way in that. I felt we were worth a share of the points. We did give away the goals cheaply which against the Old Firm is always a crime. There were several good performances and all have been mentioned already. As for SOD the big difference was today how Celtic played as Samaras is a handful on the wing and O'Donnell had to be aware of his defensive responsibilities at all times. One of the major differences was that Celtic pressed us high up the pitch whereas other teams have given us space to play our game. Disappointed but not dejected.

• Like 1

Agree with the majority of comments from all posters about the game. A lot of positives can be taken from this and we deserved a draw. Great atmosphere and fantastic emotion when we scored.

If Osbourne could pass like Forbes and run like Elliott he would be unstoppable. Think Fox is getting close to the Scotland squad with his saves. Still need more ball to feet for Doolan as their centre halves were big boys and too strong for him in the air. Aaron seems to have got faster. Love the directness of Elliott when he comes on. No failures.

Is everyone called Balde built like some Sci fi medieval warrior?

I've raised some issues before with Muirhead and again it's two goals that are partly down to him. Welsh was at fault for the second but when level with the striker, Muirhead should of got a tackle in. He was also at fault last week against Caley. During the game he loses out on headers continuously. Not having a go but it has been a recurrent theme - he never had this issue last season. Think he needs some extra training with Archie and Paterson on how to deal with more physical players. Got every confidence this will improve. Balatoni has been outstanding and pre-season I thought it would be him, of the two, that would struggle.

As others have said, I thought Higginbotham was motm. No failures in the team - Bannigan had a decent first half, still a few lacklustre challenges/passes but an improvement. Still played excellent as a team and only a few individual errors have been the difference today.

Also, why at set pieces do we allow their player to stand infront of our keeper? I said at the time, that Doolan should of been pushing their player away to make room for Fox to save. Instead he wedged the Celtic player between himself and Fox. Meaning Fox couldn't dive and obviously there was no foul as the player stood still. Its basic basic tactics. One on each post and one guarding the keeper. The header wasn't far from Fox and he would of had a decent chance to save it if the Celtic boy was pushed away. This also very nearly cost us last week.

Anyway, overall an excellent performance, deserved a point. Everyone played their part and brilliant Doolan getting another goal. I make it 4 goals in 5 games? Even with a few mistakes that are highlighted, we are good enough to win any game this year.

Fox - few excellent saves, not much chance with either goal. 8/10

O'Donnell - defensively good, decent going forward. Still not hitting the by-line or going on runs but no complaints 8/10

Sinclair - defefensively sound and caused Celtic a lot of problems 9/10

Muirhead - few missed headers, not brilliant for either goal and distribution poorer. Overall still fairly solid, got to remember its against champions league opponents. 7/10

Balatoni - brilliant performance, yet again, could go on to play at a higher level 9/10

Osbourne - solid player, also surprisingly skillful and good passing set 9/10

Welsh - outwith getting caught on the ball 3/4 times he had a very good game. But he did cost us the second goal so 7/10

Bannigan - mixed feelings, not bad but not amazing. When he tries he is great but I think there's possibly a confidence or attitude issue just now. 7/10

Craigen - tirelessly worked, hassled Celtic all day. 8/10

Higginbotham - motm for me. Excellent all round play, involved in everything positive for us and also tracked back. Would of been 10 if he scored that chance in the second half. 9/10

Doolan - did his job which is pretty hard against Celtic, was never going to get much time on the ball. 8/10

Elliott and Forbes - neither got much chance when they came on but did ok. Felt Forbes could of helped O'Donnell out by hitting the right wing more and Elliott did some decent chasing down. 4/10

Can't really argue with any of your comments or ratings. Bloody frustrating though to see such high overall scores yet to still come away with nul points!

Most of the points have already been made, but I'd disagree with (what I see as) the excess praise for Higginbotham: he hasn't showed that he is enough of a team player, instead taking the ball on his own where he could feed others (particularly Doolan), often in order to try a shot from distance that will not trouble a competent goalkeeper at this level. Is it lack of awareness of where his teammates will be, or just gloryhunting? Only time will tell. On the other hand, he and Osbourne seemed to combine to good effect, battling in midfield to gain possession.

If Osbourne could pass like Forbes and run like Elliott he would be unstoppable.

and he wouldn't be playing with Thistle!!. We played well and my only complaint was that when they went down to 10 men that we didn't ditch the passing game (only for the 10 minutes) and go to a more direct approach. Disappointed that we created nothing after they went down to 10, also I am one of Forbes biggest fans and I know he only got 15 minutes on the park but if he wants a regular shot in the team he is gonna have to hit the ground running when he comes on. Was very disappointed with his attitude and he didn't seem interested in getting involved. Other than that we matched the best team in Scotland and proved beyond doubt that we are the 2nd best team in the city!

That's six home games in the League without a win...but I don't really care. I like the way we try to play football. Aberdeen & Celtic were powerful sides but with the exception of Dundee Utd, my main reaction has been that the opposition have massive physical units playing for them rather than very talented footballers. Celtic have a budget that dwarves our own but they were reduced to chopping down Taylor-Sinclair & O'Donnell and time-wasting at the end. Both of their goals came from us trying to play too much football.

I think we were definitely worth a draw and although there were a few individual errors we didn't have anyone who looked out of their depth. I thought we tried too many speculative long range shots when there were chances to pass our way through, though I expected Higgy to have a shot when he tried to chip it across to Doolan...and has Stephen O'Donnell been told not to take on his man on the outside? - our goal came when he got forward into the penalty box.

ATS was excellent, Higgy was lively and more effective than when out on the wing, and Craigen did well in linking up play. Osborne is an outstanding ball winner and although his distribution is a bit limited, he keeps it simple.

This was the first time I have seen Thistle play either of the Old Firm since the 1980's - segregation worked well so nothing much to report as a sociological experience.

Gutted. We lost.

But today was a good day. Proud, very proud of the boys.

We played well. We lost the first, just as I thought we were really beleiving we could do something. Which is both good and frustrating. We should be starting these games with no fear. We are a good team.

I dearly hope we can hold on to these players and build on the squad. I know money talks but hope the boys recognise this squad has potential if they stick together.

We are the main stand!!!!

The north stand's a 'hole!!!

:fan:

Sorry you had to see that. Apart from one or two brief looks, I couldn't even bring myself to look at any of them, it's such a distressing example of "humankind" gone bad.

The support from the so-called best fans ever was p**s poor. Expected better. That surely wasn't the Green Brigade; or was it? I take it there was no trouble after the game? A mate pointed me to a Celtic forum and apparently we've upset one or two of them with our chants. The more evolved even acknowledged that we gave them a game and our fans were "funny"! I think they expect every team in Scotland to simply lie down when they come a calling.

Thought we tried like f*** and could have taken something out of the game. In truth, the move to the main stand turned out to be not that bad.

Maybe hyper critical, but when they went down to 10 men, we seemed happy to continue with out game plan. With 5 mins to go I would liked to have seen a bit more urgency in getting the ball forward. We kept the ball well, but it went back to Aaron, Conrad or Fox to then hit up the park. I don't want punt up the park stuff, no real point given the size of some of the Celtic team, just a bit more urgency.

As I say, hyper critical cause we played some cracking stuff today. Well done lads.

Celtic were not that great, the big guy Virgil at the back looks a player but yon Ambrose, ooft, bombscare.

Some cracking patter from the Jags fans, I know he scored, but the chorus of 'who's the f@nny in the gloves' was magic.

Well done for giving an honest opinion on your experience of the game. From my perspective in the JHS the guys on the main stand kept the atmosphere up just as much as the NS.

The only regret for me is the new entry system is taking some getting used too and feels longer to get in than previous. There was far too big a queue to get in today with many folk messing about trying to get there ticket to read. Maybe improve with experience, I hope so can't afford yo turn punters off.

Maybe hyper critical, but when they went down to 10 men, we seemed happy to continue with out game plan. With 5 mins to go I would liked to have seen a bit more urgency in getting the ball forward. We kept the ball well, but it went back to Aaron, Conrad or Fox to then hit up the park. I don't want punt up the park stuff, no real point given the size of some of the Celtic team, just a bit more urgency.

As I say, hyper critical cause we played some cracking stuff today. Well done lads.

Celtic were not that great, the big guy Virgil at the back looks a player but yon Ambrose, ooft, bombscare.

Some cracking patter from the Jags fans, I know he scored, but the chorus of 'who's the f@nny in the gloves' was magic.

That song, followed by "where's your famous atmosphere" were lyrical highlights for me.

Walking away from the game feeling a bit disappointed. Hang on a minute! We are are a young team who have just been promoted from a division that had no money in it. We have just been beaten by a team that can hold its own in the Champions League. Would I be feeling the same if it had been Barca, Munich, Milan or Dortmund who beat us by the odd goal? Probably not. I thought we competed well and a lot of positives to be taken from that display today. I think we where undone by strength and pace today. Give Archie a few Million pounds and we could maybe match that today. Proud to be a Jags fan? Oh Yes!!!!!

• Like 6

In common with most posters (I think) pissed off with the result but not the performance. I spent 9 years complaining about how crap it would be to get promoted and got it shoved right down my throat to day - the feeling when you score against Celtic is just awesome. Onwards and very much upwards.

• Like 2

I agree with Sasha and the Earl but think that it is more a sense of frustration. However, that has been the norm rather than the exception over the years. It's far better to experience frustration whilst mid-table in the Premiership than anger (as under Campbell) in the lower divisions. It's just a case of normal "service" being resumed after being spoiled like kids last season.