Aberdeen V Partick Thistle, Monday 4 November

jagfox

I think 4 is harsh on us. It's been a much better contest than the Firhill game. Nothing between the teams in the 1st half other than Bannigan not doing his job at both goals. Thought we responded well to the 3rd goal, the heads didn't go down.

Craigen really unlucky to be subbed. One of our best players till that point.

Aberdeen are the best side we've played this season.

Fox blameless. Full backs OK. Central defenders OK. Midfield OK, but no penetration. Bannigan at fault for two goals (Welsh lost possession once or twice again), but had a decent second half. Dools ran around, had no service. Higgy tried hard. Craigen MotM of us. Subs made no difference. Beaten by a better team who can shoot and get in dangerous crosses with somebody at the end of them.

Ok I watch Valencia a lot and I'm used to one striker ... Soldado before that villa etc..... Both small like doolan .... But that system depends on two wide players and someone playing behind thd main striker and that's the part we are missing ... I thought if might be lawless but doesn't seem to be

Only caught the second half, and can't believe the scoreline. We were all over them for most of that 45 minutes but never really looked like scoring. Higginbotham andd Craigen were creating all our good chances and they were taken off. Craigen's first touch passing was lovely to watch, however as I think I said after the Celtic game, Higginbotham's greed spoiled one or two opportunities where the pass was a better option, but his confidence to go for those shots is a bonus when we're famous for trying to walk the ball into the net.

For the two goals I saw, the first one Welsh is sold a poor dummy and gives Hector plenty of time to place a fantastic shot, the next is a brilliant piece of play and our defence caught moving too slowly. Both preventable but both great from Aberdeen.

I think with our style of play, we have to work very hard to get goals (Doolan's second vs Inverness excepted) but the more physical teams are better at picking on defensive errors.

Every loss is a good source of learning. After watching that on TV, I'd say that it's clear that to make progress in this league, we need more muscle than we have (Osbourne being the exception), and the players need to be sharper off the ball, quicker to turn (without losing their footing - how do other players manage not to lose their footing when they're playing on the same surface?) and better able to cope with a long ball game - at least to neutralise it, if not to use it or stop it from being used effectively.

Only caught the second half, and can't believe the scoreline. We were all over them for most of that 45 minutes but never really looked like scoring. Higginbotham andd Craigen were creating all our good chances and they were taken off. Craigen's first touch passing was lovely to watch, however as I think I said after the Celtic game, Higginbotham's greed spoiled one or two opportunities where the pass was a better option, but his confidence to go for those shots is a bonus when we're famous for trying to walk the ball into the net.

For the two goals I saw, the first one Welsh is sold a poor dummy and gives Hector plenty of time to place a fantastic shot, the next is a brilliant piece of play and our defence caught moving too slowly. Both preventable but both great from Aberdeen.

I think with our style of play, we have to work very hard to get goals (Doolan's second vs Inverness excepted) but the more physical teams are better at picking on defensive errors.

So why were Craigen and Higginbotham (our better players) subbed when were chasing the game yet Welsh and Bannigan (who were poor) stayed on?