St Mirren Match

Jaggernaut

We beat 2nd place Inverness and performed very well against champions and league leaders Celtic. A bad result away from home to the form team in the league later and everybody wants to drop players and change the formation!

I'd suggest that it's more the realisation that we have won only one match out of the last eight, and haven't won at home since last season.

Of course the team against Inverness and Celtic were world beaters and with the exception of the Balatoni and Piccolo exchange now are biggest numpties in the world; funny that. I'm not totally convinced how much tinkering should be done although Welsh has been a bit dubious in some passing and decision making; it will be a big statement for Archie to drop his captain and interesting to see if he does it.

If Fraser is available I'd put him in for Welsh. I saw him against Hearts and he looked very good. Fraser and Osbourne would be a good holding 2.

I'd also give Lawless or Forbes a shot instead of Bannigan.

Craigan and Higgie to push ahead of Doolan like Craigan did against Inverness to good effect.

I think bannigan needs a boot up the proverbial erse but I don't think we can afford to drop him given his potential replacements. I think Christie needs to start or be involved, his directness this season has been impressive and he is quite broad which teams seem to struggle with.

If balatoni is back I don't think Thomson is a Problem, he was guff at st midden park in the previous game and I don't think they have any players I want for the jags.kenny McLean was ok but even at that he wasn't great.

Kerr and Baird should be kept well Away for Saturday, we need battlers not players with little bottle.

Edited by kennymac29

The problem I've seen in the Aberdeen game is that, with the exception of Higgy and Osbourne, we lacked the real desire to win the ball back from the opposition. There was as much running around as you like to see, but nobody was biting at heels or getting themselves in between player and ball. We need to come at this game refreshed and with a renewed sense of purpose.

Wouldn't be against Elliot replacing Bannigan from the start either. He has shown some hunger and willingness this season.

With fat Gary not bothering his arse in midfield and past it Thommohawk being comfortably dealt with by our defense last time might it not be an idea to just play Ozzie in the holding role by himself and give Doolan a partner? For the avoidance of doubt this idea does not involved John Baird, either Elliot up with Doolan or Lawless out wide with Higginbotham playing 'false number 9' or whatever the buzzword for it is these days with Doolan leading the line.

This might be the game to try something like that given the opposition, the lack of home goals and the lack of a home win. It's not changing our system too much, it's just switching one guy and making us much more attacking, no way Lennon will be expecting it either.

Let’s hope Balatoni is back fit. He has a good understanding with Muirhead and has been in good form as of late.

I don’t think we will see many changes in this game. I would like to see us go to a more settled line-up.

Both Welsh and Bannigan form is of concern and its possible lawless may be an option to replace Bannigan given he is more a threat in front of goal, but he may not be 100% fit given he missed the Aberdeen game with the flu. Stuart I think does not like playing in this advance midfield role imo. Would like to see him run with the ball more and get himself into the box more. His excellent close control means he should be able to do this. Playing like a sitting midfield player instead of this more attacking role is the problem.

Not sure what is happening with Welsh, Archie will be very unhappy in Sean’s efforts to get a block on the third goal on Monday night. Archie will want him to lead by example and that not the example he will want set. The problem is the only real option we have is other than Welsh is Bannigan to play next to Osbourne.

Both Doolan and Higginbottom have been in cracking form of late and it’s key they are top of their game for this match to get the win.

If I am putting money on, it will be for Higgy to score. He's in great form just now and will be key for us on Saturday. If that shot from the kick off had gone in on Monday we would have ourselves a new Chico.

He has been good for us over the last few games but his finishing could be improved.

I would say Doolan is by far our biggest threat to the St Mirren goal.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks that Higgy actually looks a bit too desperate to score? Yes, that was a memorable effort from the kick-off on Monday, but by then other than get him some glory it wasn't really going to change anything. On several occasions I think he's gone for the personal glory shot but failed, when there were better options for getting us a goal, in other words, passing to another player.

Great attitude, though. Better than mine.

• Like 2

He has been good for us over the last few games but his finishing could be improved.

I would say Doolan is by far our biggest threat to the St Mirren goal.

Agree, a bit more care and he wouldn't have hit the crossbar on Monday night.

To be slightly serious I didn't think Kallum has spurned that many chances. More to the point he like other attacking players (Doolan excluded) have not got themselves into finishing positions.

Am I the only one who thinks that Higgy actually looks a bit too desperate to score? Yes, that was a memorable effort from the kick-off on Monday, but by then other than get him some glory it wasn't really going to change anything. On several occasions I think he's gone for the personal glory shot but failed, when there were better options for getting us a goal, in other words, passing to another player.

Great attitude, though. Better than mine.

Agree, but to be honest you've got to expect that attitude from a forward thinking player. I think some of his colleagues could learn something from his approach.

Higgy's decision making could be a little better at times, sure, but I've been really impressed by the attitude and work rate he has shown this season. Looks hungry and I reckon if a shot or 2 goes in for him, he could get even better with that added confidence.

If everyone in the team had the same drive to score as Higginbotham then we would be top 6 right now. Individuals need to take responsibility at times, we are close enough as a team but it takes that individual moment that is the killer product.

Craigen and higgy must have the best playing relationship I've seen as a thistle fan. They are completely on the same wavelength and it's our biggest asset right now.

• Like 4

The front three of Baird, Lawless and Higgy ran riot at St. Mirren. Doolan, Forbes and I think Elliot came on and made the tired Saints defence look even sillier.

If Baird has only started two spl games and 1 he was good in and the Aberdeen game he was poor as were the full team. What's the difference between both Aberdeen games??? Surely it's not the strikers as both got isolated. Monday night tells you more than just the game. Nothing has been changed or learned from the first Aberdeen game eight weeks ago were Baird got hanged out to dry same happened to Doolan on Monday. Baird hasn't played enough to be judged fairly.

Only one goal has came from the middle of the park there is 4 players in that midfield who have not so much as been in the right position to score and in my opinion that is were we really have to shape up quickly or face dropping down the league.