Saturday's Handball

thebiglemon

Here we go, making up statements that if said often enough then become true.

"chose to ignore (or somehow didn't see) a blatantant handball on Saturday."

Clearly he did see it and did not ignore it. He saw the hand ball but ruled it was ball to hand and not deliberate hand ball hence play on. He reiterated this with the action he made to Bannigan when he was protesting. But easily the worst refereeing performance this season.

Ok, thanks.

Just seen this on Sportscene (recorded). The guy is either spectacularly incompetent or venally corrupt. Either way, not fit for purpose. I was freeze-framing. He has a perfect view, even better than all of us in the JH. Utterly indefensible.

Correct, but will he be requested to explain it in public? No. Will he come out with something like his vision got obstructed at the last minute? If so, then why did he affirm to the Thistle player that the St Mirren's player's hand was down by his side?

There is simply no accountability. They take their £800 quid per match, and get a few ticks here and there from their "observers" at the game. Depending on said number of ticks, they'll be proposed for higher-level games. All secretive, and all rotten.

• Like 1

..........., and get a few ticks here and there from their "observers" at the game. Depending on said number of ticks, they'll be proposed for higher-level games. All secretive, and all rotten.

I can't be arsed looking it up again, but I seem to remember that Saturday's Referee observer was Brian Cassidy.

I would guess that he though Beaton played a blinder. :crazy:

Nothing will happen unless a delegation of clubs doorstep the SPFL. Quite often the argument that poor decisions are distributed evenly in the long run is wheeled out to defuse any particular grievance. Even if this were true though, which it probably isn't, it ignores a generalised decline in standards.

Nothing will happen unless a delegation of clubs doorstep the SPFL. Quite often the argument that poor decisions are distributed evenly in the long run is wheeled out to defuse any particular grievance. Even if this were true though, which it probably isn't, it ignores a generalised decline in standards.

This idea of some sort of statistical equivalence of a season is nonsense. Even if true on pure numbers, think of this: your team is denied a clear cut penalty in a game in which the oppositon win 1-0. Later in the season you are winning 3-0 and the ref gives you a dodgy penalty. Does this mean things work out even in the end? Obviously not as the result of ref's poor decisions can vary from game to game. One game ref makes bad mistake doesn't affect result, another game ref's bad mistake is crucial to result.

The problem is more than likely the SFA. I'd imagine there isn't a never ending que of upstanding young gents beating down the door to become referees.

The SFA will be worried about criticising or punishing refs in case it affects recruitment of new ones.

I've no doubt there's an element of this but I think a bigger thing is unwillingness of people in authority ever to admit mistakes. At least in football it doesn't affect folks lives the way it does in other walks of life.

One game ref makes bad mistake doesn't affect result, another game ref's bad mistake is crucial to result.

A sort of example would be in the first couple of weeks. First incident St Johnstone score against Hearts when a player in an offside position was adjudged not to be interfering with play. One week later a second incident when Higginbotham's goal was ruled offside as another player (Lawless?) was deemed to be interfering with play in an offside position.

Firstly I have no idea if both incidents were correctly called and secondly I can understand in such cases that it's not perhaps an exact science and one ref will differ with another over exact interpretation. Point is both incidents looked very similar yet no one in authority took the time to explain how each referee made the opposite call. By not doing that they leave themselves open to the pundits, media, fans and aggrieved managers to start a rant. The latter end up on occasions being fined or banned from the dug out and all because some flash point wasn't diffused.

The refs and/or officialdom by not explaining a decision are missing an opportunity here. Instead of gaining a bit of respect, even when they get a decision wrong, they come across as incompetent and at the same time, arrogant

This idea of some sort of statistical equivalence of a season is nonsense. Even if true on pure numbers, think of this: your team is denied a clear cut penalty in a game in which the oppositon win 1-0. Later in the season you are winning 3-0 and the ref gives you a dodgy penalty. Does this mean things work out even in the end? Obviously not as the result of ref's poor decisions can vary from game to game. One game ref makes bad mistake doesn't affect result, another game ref's bad mistake is crucial to result.

The most obvious example is Blind Les Mottram's failure to see that Paddy Connelly had scored (or Martin Clark handing the ball back to Andy Murdoch) at Firhill did not equate with him failing to notice Nicky Henderson being chopped down in the play off game at Tannadice two seasons later. Dundee United won an inconsequential League Match 4-0 anyway whereas our defeat in the second match consigned the club to years in the wilderness.

another handball in the box by Goodwin again today and no penalty given. No idea of the circumstances, but just saying

It should never have been a penalty today. Goodwin's hand should've been connected to his body, which in turn should've been connected to a seat as he sat out a one match suspension for last week's stonewaller.

Only consolation is seeing Derek Adams annoyed http://www.bbc.co.uk..._medium=twitter

Hmm, just a couple of weeks ago there was a lot of talk about Danny Lennon's coat being on a shoogly peg, and how rank St Mirren were. The latter may well be true, but they're now above us in the league with a game in hand…...

We're getting awfy near the foot of the table…….

Their game in hand is against Celtic (2nd game of the season) and won't be played until January. They will get beat.

Probably my only game of the season. If I live to be 100 I'll probably never see as clear a penalty as that. O'Donnell deserved his two yellows, but if you applied the same standards to Goodwin he could have easily been off twice over. If that really is the ref that sent the Hearts player off at Perth then the guy's performances should be a concern to the SFA. The decisions he's getting wrong are so blatant.

I see Goodwin was up to his old tricks again yesterday. Apparently a string of fouls followed by a deliberate handball in injury time which the ref failed to see. Sounds familiar!!

Ross County boss Derek Adams angry at Jim Goodwin 'immunity'

Adams said: "I think a lot of people are flabbergasted to think a player can commit so many fouls and get away with it. It was a handball this week. It was a handball last week against Partick Thistle. I've not got blinkers on, it was plain to see."

The old cliche "decisions tend to even themselves out over a season" might be worth dredging up as regards penalties/not penalties, bookings/not bookings, sendings off/not sendings off etc. at the minute.

We shall see.

It won't for us if you believe the recent trend of not giving the 50/50s to the team most recently promoted. Accies and Pars fans only felt they started getting the odd rub of the green in their second season.

• 1 month later...

Ross County boss Derek Adams angry at Jim Goodwin 'immunity'

Adams said: "I think a lot of people are flabbergasted to think a player can commit so many fouls and get away with it. It was a handball this week. It was a handball last week against Partick Thistle. I've not got blinkers on, it was plain to see."

Goodwin at it again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25523133

Leads a charmed life.