Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

I'm not really sure what people expect Mair to have done for the equaliser. If he had moved towards where the ball was coming from, it would have gone over his head. Sutton earned himself an advantage by peeling off to the back, thus allowing him to get a run at the ball coming in. The error in that goal was allowing the cross to be made in the first place.

Is that not the definition of "ball watching" then? I like mair and feel he's done a pretty good job since coming in, but if the guy he's marking peels off him, as you said, should he not go with him? He would know that if Sutton has got a run on him for a header he's likely to get beaten so if he goes with him he at least has the chance to put him off, hold him or something. Things that other centre halfs do to our strikers in the box. As it is he has a free run, Mairs caught on his heels slightly and well....we know what happened next :(

• Members

For me the problem all season long has been in central defence. Archie perhaps thought that Conrad and Aero could cut it at the higher level and given how well they played for most of last season, that was not an unreasonable assumption. In fact they started the season off pretty well. Then the errors started to creep in.

It was pretty clear by December that the young players at the back needed some experienced help. The January window is not an ideal time to try and resolve this type of problem and the best we got was Mair. He has helped a lot, but like every other defender in the world, he can make mistakes too.

Like it or not, we are still very soft through the centre and I don't think we've seen the last of the type of goals we lose when teams bombard us aerially this season. I do think also, that all 3 of the young central defenders we have, will go on and have long relatively successful careers in football and I'd love it if it was to be mainly with Partick Thistle.

• Like 1

• Members

Is that not the definition of "ball watching" then? I like mair and feel he's done a pretty good job since coming in, but if the guy he's marking peels off him, as you said, should he not go with him? He would know that if Sutton has got a run on him for a header he's likely to get beaten so if he goes with him he at least has the chance to put him off, hold him or something. Things that other centre halfs do to our strikers in the box. As it is he has a free run, Mairs caught on his heels slightly and well....we know what happened next :(

It's a gamble. You go with the guy and someone else drifts into the space and you're asking where your Centre half is. Conrad is already out of position because he has tried to stop the ball going for a corner and done nothing other than keep it in for the winger to make the cross. Mair is caught between a rock and a hard place with this one as I see it. Once Motherwell had the ball it was a superb execution by them rather than a mistake by us that caused the goal. Perfect cross and a perfectly timed run and header.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I (and many others) praise when needed and criticize when its due........... but you only pop out from under your rock when we're beat, you thrive on failure

I hate failure and I hate the performance today because I care about the club I don't think trying to turn a negative into a positive is helpful

But enough about me ? What about today ?

I hate failure and I hate the performance today because I care about the club I don't think trying to turn a negative into a positive is helpful

But you are NEVER positive when things are good, are you? As Norgethistle says, jump back into your hole that you should have went to when you said you were quitting the forum.

You are the premier negative ninny who only comes out of the woodwork when things are sour.

How does one become an anti-glory hunter?

You see guys this is a forum but you don't want people to post unless it's things you agree with

It's been like that for ages.

There's no point in threads like this. You get the usual suspects, who don't even go to the games coming on and spamming any valid points.

Archie got it wrong today again. Tactically outmanoeuvred by Yogi Hughes and Gary Locke in the space of 3 weeks.