Just In

javeajag

Ok....that was 10 steps backwards , a dreadful terrible performance.....too, deep, too slow, too square

Not sure what the formation was supposed to be but no slick passing football tonight

The midfield wad clearly not right and fraser is one for the future but not today

Only hearts have have scored less than us and fading we lost a soft goal

I'll say it again the manager needs help

• Like 1

The recent chopping and changing, through suspensions and new faces, took its toll today. We were dreadful for 30 minutes, playing as if they'd never met before. But I thought we were good for a draw second half, and played some decent stuff.

Main positive of course was Erskine who played as if he'd never beem away.

I still refuse to panic, ... Sorry.

• Like 2

Archie set us up wrong today, as simple as that. We didn't have the players for that formation so why play it?

Felt sorry for Fraser as he had to do all the defending and attacking from his position, was asked to do far too much. Craigen shouldn't ever be played as a holding midfielder - absolutely ridiculous he was played in this position again when he clearly can't. Not Craigen's fault.

Balatoni bit of a nightmare. O'Donnell after a decent game last week was back to his usual self. These diagonal crosses into the box have never ever worked yet it is all he does.

Some suicidal passing in the game. As soon as St Jonstone scored, they sat off us and let us have the ball and we did nothing with it really. Overall one of the worst performances this season in terms of the amount of misakes we made. Mair was a positive but mucked up the goal which was a farcical goal to concede. Archie has a lot to answer for today.

Erskine - dont know, some promising things going forward but largely does absolutely zero.

thought Mcmillan was missing in the first half if he was supposed to be on the left he kept drifting in

Balatoni was not great

SoD was shocking not seen him play so bad in a long time

Fraiser as said is one for the future

Thought when we went 2 up front we were going to get a goal, hope we start like that on Saturday, some of the play with Erskine Doolan,Taylor and Higginbotham was great with our front 2 and Erskine pulling them all over the box, Erskine was unlucky not to get 1goal , 2 at a push

Ooft that was sore to watch. Confidence is clearly zilch for most of the squad. Been a big supporter of Archie, but wtf was the team and formation all about? Between him and shaggy there is little experience. Do we need an older head in to help?

We need to stop punting balls to Taylor. Get the ball in behind for him to chase or get the ball out wide to cross it in. He back into the defender looking for a free kick and when we don't get one, we are giving the ball back to the opposition.

Conrad is struggling at this level, he is not the only one.

Saturday is a big one, they all are now. But with an inability to win at home, we need to beat our rivals away.

• Like 1

Archie set us up wrong today, as simple as that. We didn't have the players for that formation so why play it?

Felt sorry for Fraser as he had to do all the defending and attacking from his position, was asked to do far too much. Craigen shouldn't ever be played as a holding midfielder - absolutely ridiculous he was played in this position again when he clearly can't. Not Craigen's fault.

Balatoni bit of a nightmare. O'Donnell after a decent game last week was back to his usual self. These diagonal crosses into the box have never ever worked yet it is all he does.

Some suicidal passing in the game. As soon as St Jonstone scored, they sat off us and let us have the ball and we did nothing with it really. Overall one of the worst performances this season in terms of the amount of misakes we made. Mair was a positive but mucked up the goal which was a farcical goal to concede. Archie has a lot to answer for today.

Erskine - dont know, some promising things going forward but largely does absolutely zero.

first game of the season back erskine did not do zero - I thought our best player and will only get even better.

Even if we do end up in the playoffs I'm feeling more confident because of the damage erskine and Taylor can do to these teams

• Like 1

Holy beejesus that was appalling. Think we were worthy of a draw as saints did very little second half apart from time waste but some of the passing and crossing from odonnell and balatoni was shocking. Why has Stephen now decided he can't come any closer than 30 yards from the byline before he has to cross? Though even at that he just punts a ball into the middle without even looking anyway.

What's taylor supposed to do with 6 foot balls fired at his head at 50 mph? At least there was some nice one twos between Doolan and erskine but as far as positives then that was it.

Pass marks to Mair, higgy, Taylor and erskine. McMillan still thinks he's playing centre half constantly drifting inside and leaving a man spare on the wing.

Oh and lee croft is a fat time wasting tosser. How he wasn't booked tonight was a farce.

Can't see anything but a pumping on Saturday.

• Like 1

That was pretty grim - no getting around it.

Not many positives. Erskine looked dangerous in flashes and linked up well with Higgy, who put in another good performance. At the back Mair was excellent and Conrad relatively solid even though his distribution was all over the place. Dools looked sharp when he came on and we did gain some control in the second half of the second half.

Negatives a-plenty though. We need to get back to playing with the ball on the deck - it's when we look the most dangerous. The entire first half we punted the ball towards Taylor, but their central defenders won just about everything. This is disappointing as Taylor is more than just a target man, as he showed in flashes when we started to play the ball to his feet. McMillan was all over the place. The reason he's always pointing is because he's always out of position, and I include those matches when he has played on the right. SOD looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up - nothing went right for him. Craigen can't play in central midfield, Fraser was clearly uncomfortable acting as a defensive shield and Lawless was bullied off the ball. All-in that was a game to forget.

It's going to be a tough run in, but we knew that at the start of the season. Sadly, teams tend to be as good as their budget allows.

Taylor was isolated alot in the game especially at the start of the game and he didn't have much to work with for the first half hour or so.

Very little movement up top but St Johnstone's game plan was spot on sitting in and counter attacked very well.

Once Thistle went a goal down it played into the oppositions hands even more.

Doolan for me gives you good movement and works the front well and i think you need to find a starting place for him and playing up with Taylor could work well.

Nobody in the middle put their foot on the ball but this could be down to the added pressure of not getting that home win yet and players know the crowd is edgy and are trying to force things rather than play their natural game.

Second half Thistle done alot better and the triangles between Taylor, Doolan and Erskine was excellent at times.

Thistle have the ball players with that trio and Lawless but it's someone with that little bit of strength in the middle to free these guys up to play their attacking games is what's badly needed.

Fraser might be a talent but he falls just a little short for me going with the game tonight but he is young and will learn.

Thought the defence were strong most of the time but O' Donnell was getting alot of stick which doesn't help him in his game but the boy still put in a shift.

Archie will no doubt get some stick again but what does he do to get this first home win?

Attack minded players are not the problem as Thistle have them but it's a problem trying to fit them all in to the formation that works.

For me the team needs some strength in the middle of the park to do the spadework to get these players into the game more.

Lost the game in the first thirty minutes.Midfield was over run and our full backs were constantly out of position.

Really missed the energy of ATS and Bannagin.Lost all the style and flow we've had for the last few seasons.

Not sure if we had more than one shot on target from open play during the whole 90.

Massive chalange for Archie now to lift the team and get the tactics right.The loss of Ossy in particular is a disaster for us given what personel we've got left.

For the first time this season I thought, We're just not good enough.

That was chronic. How many times did we give the ball away? 15? 20? How obvious is it when we're going to take a shot? Higginbotham attempts to cut in, does a little faint then lets fly every single time - every defender in the SPL can read it and get an easy block in. We're also far too namby pampy for our own good, proven when we gave possession to St Johnstone after Forbes had rightly kept it following the short interruption. I just don't see where the points are going to come from.

Team selection headache aside, Archie's formation and line up weren't up to much tonight. How has Balatoni kept his place?

Why was Doolan not brought on earlier?

Coupled with a few players' worst ever Jags performance (O'Donnell needs a good skelping) and it made for a dreadful night of football.

Remember, this is a match some had to pay twice for. Some travel far and wide to watch the Jags and on a night like that, we really should expect better. A 0-1 home defeat is the worst outcome for the fans.

The players need to step up and do their talking on the pitch. Higgy was moaning to the JH stand at one stage and Balatoni seemed unhappy about the decision to sub Higgy. Dearie me boys, let's have a look in the mirror eh?

Probably no point changing manager but something needs to change. The pish weather, the half time music, the fact we're too nice to the opposition/officials, a proper captain barking orders, a wild night out with Adam Strachan. ANYTHING TO CHANGE THE SCENE

We lined up tonight 4 2 4

St johnstone 4 4 2

2 young lads in the engine room of the team

We were all over the place most of the first half

2nd half better

St midden game on Saturday

Ats and bannigan back

Team

Gallagher

McMillan (yes McMillan) at right back

Ats left back

Mair and another centre backs

Bannigan and Fraser midfield

Erskine and Higgy playing left and right wide midfield

Taylor and Doolan up front

That team will do the business this coming saturday

Thought erskine did well tonight as did Doolan when he came on

Onwards and upwards

Just back in from Firhill totally disillusioned from a dismal performance,have got no idea why we've abandoned the possession football that the players have been used to over the last year,we've now decided to hit high balls up to Lyle Taylor and using him as a target man which for most centre halves is meat and drink,we've also now abandoned the quick closing down of players which was one of our assets. Read all the different opinions but surely Archie is culpable for the way the team play,some of the decisions are highly debatable. Why did Doolan not start tonight especially after the way he played at Mcdermid Park when he pulled the St Johnstone defence all over the place also taking into account that Taylor was totally knackered after Saturday. Even during the game why was Erskine not put out left where there was space to run into,could have brought Higgy inside as he was doing nothing on the left hand side. People are starting to blame the players but are now getting told to play in a way that is totally alien to them,when does Archie become accountable?

That was as disappointed as I have been leaving Firhill after a game for some time.

The balance of the side didn't look right from the start. I want to watch Erskine, Lawless & Higgy but I'm not sure they can all be fitted into the side...particularly if our defensive midfielders are two inexperienced youngsters - Fraser & Craigen are being asked to take on too much responsibility. I would have brought Forbes on at half time to make passes but instead we looked like headless chickens - what role was Elliot supposed to be playing when he came on? We resorted to aimless & pointless long balls as there was nobody to move the ball through midfield.

Saints bossed the game up till they scored - looked like some powderpuff challenges for the goal.They then turned into Ross County - timewasting, five booked for fouls all of which stopped promising attacks, killing the game at every opportunity. Maybe that's what is called professional but it makes me less likely to go to a game.

We still had enough chances to equalise but without ATS and Bannigan and with O'Donnell's loss of confidence, we looked a very ordinary side tonight even with a few flashes from Erskine.

Archie and the players need to move up that learning curve quickly.

The first half hour was the worst I have seen us play all season. The defending for the goal was awful. After that we improved a bit and created a few good chances and one or two glorious ones, that were passed up. I think a draw would have been a fairer result tonight.

Erskine and Higginbotham both had good games and I like the way Gallacher always keeps talking to his defenders. Perhaps it is a consequence of his coaching experience. Lawless and Taylor weren't at their best at all today though. I wonder, in Taylor's case, if he was still tired from Saturday, having played the full 90 minutes.

• Like 1

We finished with Dools, Taylor, Squiddy and Higgy all on and from the radio commentary it sounded like we were pushing hard for a goal......I wasn't there but does anyone that was, feel that we should be starting like that?

I have been arguing for just this formation for a couple of weeks now and despite all the weeping and gnashing of teeth we came close to scoring at the finish.

• Like 1