Play Offs

Auld Jag

For years we have wanted play offs,now we have them it could be our downfall.Ithink I am right in saying we are the only team to be relegated from the top league in Scotland by play offs.Lets hope we dont repeat that at the end of this season.Does anybody know the format of the play offs?

Championship 3rd plays 4th home and away. The winner plays Championship 2nd in same format. Winner plays 2nd-bottom in the Premiership. First match at the Championship club's ground.

I don't want Thistle to be playing in that fixture, but if it comes to it I don't fear any of the current top four.

This might now be a good result because the way we are now going Hearts catching us must be a real possibility.

This might now be a good result because the way we are now going Hearts catching us must be a real possibility.

No way Hearts will catch us.

We are not picking up many points but they are picking up even less. We have collected 20 points, they have collected 14 leaving a gap of 21 points. There are 15 games left, even if we lose every game and Hearts win 7 and lose 8 (bloody amazing run that would be!) then they would catch us and it comes down to goal difference. Hearts would need a phenomenal run and us a club worst to be overtaken.

The split will be interesting though - if a team goes on a run during the last 5 games, it will heat up! Hopefully we are 15+ points clear of Hearts at the split to avoid us looking behind. We need to be aiming for 10th.

If we finish 11th (odds-on now, I am afraid, as we've blown our run of easier home games just at the same time Ross County, our main challengers, have imporved their squad and picked up lots of points), then we'll be a team very low on confidence, playing a team high on confidence - say, Hamilton. That doesn't bode well.

• Members

We certainly don't have a great record in play-offs

Won one, lost one. (Unless I'm missing any others?) Suggests we're not great, but we're not bad either. Way too early to be talking about play-offs just now anyway. We could get most of our squad back and everything could just suddenly click and send us on a good run just as the 3 teams directly above us have done at various points through the season.

It is worth remembering that there is the top six/bottom six split so our last 5 games will all be against the teams around us and if we are all within a few points of each other then other teams will take points of each other and a couple of decent results could see us out of the play off spot.

Keep the faith!

If we got to the play-offs - and I obviously hope we don't - it'd at least be exciting. And I certainly don't fear anyone down there. We've played well in pretty much every match at home (exceptions: last night, Aberdeen (0-3) and maybe Motherwell (1-5)? Wasn't at the latter but scoreline suggests we weren't great).

Last night was bad mainly because of the personnel we had out injured or suspended. If we have a full-strength side on the pitch we should decimate Hamilton/Falkirk/whoever...should...

Knowing Thistles luck, we will go down in the playoffs.

PTFC got promotion via a play off after finishing a dismal 4th in Div 2 with the help of a last minute goal after being pounded for the whole second leg then won a penalty shoot out. If that's 'knowing our luck' then I'm confident. Or maybe it just means The Bunnet should be rehired.

Edited by One t in Scotland

Won one, lost one. (Unless I'm missing any others?) Suggests we're not great, but we're not bad either. Way too early to be talking about play-offs just now anyway. We could get most of our squad back and everything could just suddenly click and send us on a good run just as the 3 teams directly above us have done at various points through the season.

You're right. I also considered thon horrible 3-0 defeat at Firhill to Ayr as a "play-off", as it basically came down to who won that game would survive. We didn't.

You're right. I also considered thon horrible 3-0 defeat at Firhill to Ayr as a "play-off", as it basically came down to who won that game would survive. We didn't.

That's was in my mind too. In fact I searched for it on the net as a play off game so convinced was I it happened. Mind you I would never have found that 70's Video clip without being an idiot in the first place, so at least something good came of it.

This season has been typical of being a Thistle supporter, hunners of if's and but's. all the games now against the 'beatable' teams are over. its going to take a miracle for hearts to catch us but knowing us it a distinct possiblility. we could/should have at least another 10 points and be sitting comfortably in the top 6 but that would be too easy. if we cant win a playoff against a team thats played 6 cup finals before theyve even kicked a baw against us then we deserve to go down. however we should be capable of winning a play-off against anyone in the league below us. if we get rid of the dead wood (kerr, baird, elliot to name the worst of a few) theres no reason why we cant build a decent side that can achieve what we should have this year.