St Mirren Game

mhs

A win on Saturday will see us catch and possibly overtake, on goal difference, a St Mirren team that seem to blow hot-and-cold.

Last time at St Mirren Park we had one of our best performances this season yet the last game at Firhill was frustrating and based on the scoreline it was a heavy defeat. Need to watch Thompson and try to not let Goodwin bully/control the game from midfield.

Lots of issues on Tuesday night so I would line up as follows:

Gallagher

McMillan Mair Piccolo Taylor-Sinclair

Fraser Bannigan

Lawless Erskine Higginbotham

Taylor

Sincy and Banzo will go straight in and help the team. SOD needs dropped, some really poor games recently. McMillan was honking for 30 minutes on Tuesday then helped turn our game around when he tried playing, think his natural right side will help him play better. Gabby in for Balatoni who has been very poor recently, I think Gabby is more physical, best in the air and will get stuck into Thompson and even Goodwin if the chance arises. Craigen has had a poor spell so a rest could do him good and he is useful for the bench (allowing us to drop Elliot from the squad altogether). Erskine looked dangerous and creative so keep him behind Taylor.

I would be tempted to start Doolan instead of Lawless but that really limits the bench for a change of striker, plus Lawless has found some form recently. Muirhead on the bench gives us an option if Mair/Gabby need subbed or if we need to put someone in midfield to break up play and hold off.

• Like 4

A win on Saturday will see us catch and possibly overtake, on goal difference, a St Mirren team that seem to blow hot-and-cold.

Last time at St Mirren Park we had one of our best performances this season yet the last game at Firhill was frustrating and based on the scoreline it was a heavy defeat. Need to watch Thompson and try to not let Goodwin bully/control the game from midfield.

Lots of issues on Tuesday night so I would line up as follows:

Gallagher

McMillan Mair Piccolo Taylor-Sinclair

Fraser Bannigan

Lawless Erskine Higginbotham

Taylor

Sincy and Banzo will go straight in and help the team. SOD needs dropped, some really poor games recently. McMillan was honking for 30 minutes on Tuesday then helped turn our game around when he tried playing, think his natural right side will help him play better. Gabby in for Balatoni who has been very poor recently, I think Gabby is more physical, best in the air and will get stuck into Thompson and even Goodwin if the chance arises. Craigen has had a poor spell so a rest could do him good and he is useful for the bench (allowing us to drop Elliot from the squad altogether). Erskine looked dangerous and creative so keep him behind Taylor.

I would be tempted to start Doolan instead of Lawless but that really limits the bench for a change of striker, plus Lawless has found some form recently. Muirhead on the bench gives us an option if Mair/Gabby need subbed or if we need to put someone in midfield to break up play and hold off.

That looks decent enough. If they go at it with a positive attitude and can score............. (can the defence then hold out???)....

There's a glimmer of hope in me for this game. I think the new guys have improved the team and they'll be settling in more every day.

Erskine to rip them apart on the break. I'd like to fit Doolan into the starting lineup, but I'm not sure where. Taylor gets another chance. I think we might well see the lineup in the OP, although I'll need to be convinced that playing Lawless, Higgy and Erskine together gives us what we need defensively too.

Over 600 tickets all ready sold so there will be a great support on the day to cheer on the lads.

I feel this is a bit like going into the Hearts game, a proverbial must win. Obviously it will be a tough task as St Mirren are coming off a good win. Although the form in the lower half of the league is hard to use as a barometer of who will win as we beat Hearts, then lost to St Johnstone who Hearts went on to draw with.

After a slow start we got into Tuesday's match and created a few decent chances. We have the players to score goals its just a matter of them doing it when it counts now.

A bit of a cup tie feel to this one and we have Bannigan and ATS back so I am quietly confident again despite our roller coaster type form.

p.s. Piccolo played for the u20s last night so he may be back in contention to do a man marking job on Stevie Thompson?

No Higgy in the team ?

I would think he is one of the first names on the team sheet

As I posted on another topic team for Saturday

Gallagher.

Macmillan. Right back. Has pace can tackle and has good positional sense

ATS left back. Really has improved his game this season

Centre backs. Got to be mair and another. But not balatoni. I would play muirhead

I believe that we have still to see the best from aero

And with mair along side him it's got to be these two

Midfield. Bannigan and another

Probably Fraser but just keep it simple

Out wide players got to be erskine and Higgy

Thought erskine really looked up for it on Tuesday some great play and unlucky not to score

Taylor up front please no aimless high balls play to feet this lad has the strength and ability to hold the ball and lay off to you know who

Doolan

How this guy is not in every starting lineup I do not know

Two wide guys given a free role switching wings cutting inside think of the space they would create for Doolan and Taylor

However unfortunately I know Archie will play a more defensive line up keep it tight and then maybe the last 15 mins bring on Doolan

But I'll be there cheering on ra jags win lose or draw

• Like 2

I'd have Craigen in. As long as he's in the right position as an attacking midfielder I think he's an important player for us. Keeps us on the front foot. Not sure who I'd leave out. I actually didn't think we needed a player in Erskine's position, but since it's Chris Erskine I'll make an exception.

I think Tuesday night showed that fielding lots of attack-minded players does not necessarily mean that the team will attack effectively - the side must be properly balanced.

I'm delighted that Chris Erskine is back but it does seem like our equivalent of Kevin Keegan signing Asprilla when Newcastle already had a full quota of exciting attackers but needed players to improve their defence. I think that we can only start with three out of Erskine, Lawless, Higgy, Doolan & Taylor on Saturday.

I would love it if we beat them though!.

Because it's an away game, I think we need someone on the right hand side to work alongside SOD and stiffen up that area for us. We lose a lot of goals from that wing. I think McMillan at right back and SOD at right midfield could be the answer.

I know you've been saying this for a while now Will. I will continue to agree that we should try it. I feel like Lawless on the right offers zero cover when we are defending, and as said above - I don't think we can afford Higgy, Erskine and Lawless in the same side as it leaves us very short when we are on the back foot. Taking a bit of defensive responsibility from SOD might also help his confidence. He is at his best when running at the opposition, without the worry of giving the ball away in a vital area.

I don't see how we could possibly drop Higgy. He tore them apart at their place earlier in the season and they won't be looking forward to facing him again.

I know you've been saying this for a while now Will. I will continue to agree that we should try it. I feel like Lawless on the right offers zero cover when we are defending, and as said above - I don't think we can afford Higgy, Erskine and Lawless in the same side as it leaves us very short when we are on the back foot. Taking a bit of defensive responsibility from SOD might also help his confidence. He is at his best when running at the opposition, without the worry of giving the ball away in a vital area.

I don't see how we could possibly drop Higgy. He tore them apart at their place earlier in the season and they won't be looking forward to facing him again.

Lawless is one of the few players who often tracks back and wins the ball or is close by and available to our defence to offer us a chance to counter attack. He is an attack minded player in a forward role so isn't meant to defend much but I think he wins more than his fair share of tackles and frequently helps when we are defending. This is one aspect of Stevie's play which I admire. Granted, he often chases back because he was tackled or lost possession... but still! :P

I would agree that SOD could be tried further up the park but his crosses, passing and shots have been, by-and-large, dreadful this season. Okay, he may run up the park more in a midfield role but to what avail?

Higgy's end product could be better but I agree that he has to start, his creativity and attacking play is heavily relied upon. You can see teammates looking to him to try and spur an attack and create some chances/space up the park.

Edited by mhs

I'd have Craigen in. As long as he's in the right position as an attacking midfielder I think he's an important player for us. Keeps us on the front foot. Not sure who I'd leave out. I actually didn't think we needed a player in Erskine's position, but since it's Chris Erskine I'll make an exception.

I think Craigen needs a rest not for fitness or stamina reasons more for staleness .He's possibly only played recently due to our mini centre midfield crisis. More to the point I feel Erskine will play in that forward midfield position James usually fills. Imo getting Higginbotham and Erskine both starting is preferable to starting both Doolan and Taylor.

I would tho' also like to see an overlap when both Kris & Lyle play. To accommodate that would require an early substitution and no repeat of last Saturday. No point playing both Taylor and Doolan when one is dead on his feet.

I'd go with Bannigan and Fraser as the deeper centre midfielders but feel no matter what combination we play in that area we're found lacking. Chicken or egg situation whether it's defensive midfield that overexposes our backline defence or it's frailty in the backline that makes the defensive part of midfield look lacking. Either way the end result is too often the same so we've got to trust that Mair's inclusion will make the difference. Personally only losing one goal in each of the two games Mair has played in has been no disgrace. Making so few goalscoring chances albeit against two good opposition defensive displays has been the major disappointment.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

...................... Galacher ...................

McMillan .. Mair .. Muirhead .. Sinclair

............... Fraser .. Bannigan .............

Higginbotham .. Lawless ... Erskine

...................... Taylor ......................

Gallacher has looked far more composed and keeps me reassured in goals. McMillan had a shaky start to the StJonstone game but I felt after half an hour he did better. O'Donnell's side of the pitch has probably contributed to about 80% of goals this season and I think we need to switch it about. Outwith a good game v Killie, I really don't think he has positively contributed for a long time.

I've put Muirhead in because Balatoni seems to have one shocking piece of defending a game and the last two games have cost us points. Muirhead also has better distribution. Mair is coming onto a game. Fraser/Bannigan I feel is hard working, energetic and can both play/ bring out the best in each other. A good partnership.

Higgy always a starter. Erskine purely because I think he will score - tuesday showed what a lot of us thought, doesnt contribute defensively and can not touch the ball for periods but when he has the ball he looks a threat. Think he'll bag us a few goals. Lawless in there for Craigen mainly as I think Lawless really puts in a shift and is surprisingly strong tracking back. Lawless should definiely be played through the middle as he is willing to cover far more ground and track back, compared to Erskine. Taylor obvious starter up front also.

I would like to see Baird and Kerr in the team

Really really hoping we beat this manky mob tomorrow.. hopefully dish out the doon we have being threatening all season

Kerr is injured.

I'd like to see Craigen and SOD are dropped for this. Craigen has been off form for a while and SOD's defending has been suspect.

SOD for McMillan and Bannigan for Craigen would be my changes.

Hopefully Mair wants to prove Lennon wrong and puts in a good performance against Thompson.

• Like 1