Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Mate, we were sitting in 7th spot on the last day when the score was tied at 2-2. We didn't scrape anything.

And had we lost to Hearts we would have been in playoffs. We were one position and three points above the playoff place and we were in that playoff position for a sizeable period of time throughout the season. All people are saying is we need to push on and improve this year, which as of yet we haven't done.

Last season was excellent, we deserved to stay up but but this year will have no Hearts and it looks like an improved St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Ross County. I trust Archie, and think we will come good but I fear we will rely on some big January signings once more to do that.

And had we lost to Hearts we would have been in playoffs. We were one position and three points above the playoff place and we were in that playoff position for a sizeable period of time throughout the season. All people are saying is we need to push on and improve this year, which as of yet we haven't done.

Last season was excellent, we deserved to stay up but but this year will have no Hearts and it looks like an improved St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Ross County. I trust Archie, and think we will come good but I fear we will rely on some big January signings once more to do that.

In no way at all have either Kilmarnock or st mirren improved massively. St mirren at best have gone sideways, and killie have lost comfortably their best player who singlehandedly kept them up. Dundee also look to be alright at best, and Hamilton seem to be relying on their youngsters which could go well or could go badly, who knows. Inverness look to be weaker this season, and if stevie may goes to Rotherham as is being said then who knows how st Johnstone will do. It's looking like the league could be a fair bit weaker overall than it was last season IMO.

With just over a week to go until our first game of the season I am genuinely concerned over our lack of signings over the summer. We are not in as good a position as we were four months ago and we do not have long left to get players in. Like most others I am getting excited about the kick off but, as I say, I am concerned.

Archie stated he wanted to get five or six players signed for the new season and do it early. For whatever reason, this has not happened. He has stated that there has been several attempts to get players in recently and this has not happened. Do you think he is also genuinely concerned or do you think he is sitting back saying "It's OK, we got Higgy late on last year and he was great, so we'll just go out and do that again..."

I am not for one minute saying that we are doomed or it's going to be a long hard season but let's face facts - nobody knows how good the players we are going to sign between now and the close of the transfer window are going to be but it is going to be pretty hard to go out and find another Kallum Higginbotham or Isaac Osborne.

I don't blame the manager for this. He will identify targets and promote the club to a player but the reality is that Ian Maxwell has to sign them and pay them no more than he is told by the chairman.(If a player has failed to sign because the Managing Director is on holiday then that is simply ludicrous but something I would probably expect of PTFC)

I believe that the statement made by the chairman about substantially increasing the playing budget not to be true and we are more likely to be paying similar wages to last season. This is where I think the problem lies.

Anyway, as I say, I am concerned. As are other fans that use this forum. I think they are right to be concerned. For them to be called knicker wetters, pant wetters, pant pishers or whatever other wonderful underwear soiling names you have for them is a little pathetic.

• Like 4

I was quite encouraged last year when Stephen Craig & Dowie, who had both made decent contributions to the promotion winning side, were not offered new contracts - I took it as a sign that Archie was looking for a higher calibre of player.The problem was that Taylor and Mair were not brought in until January.

The same applies this year for Lee Mair and Archie has clearly decided that Barr and Mustoe were not good enough so I'm hoping that Archie has a strong nerve and good judgement and will be able to bring in the players we so obviously need - a central defender, left back and striker - before the end of August. I'd rather we held out for two or three really good players and gave our own youngsters some game time than fill the squad with unexceptional journeymen.

I'm reserving judgement on Ryan Stevenson until I see him play for us and there will be scope for criticism for the entire club set up if we don't have a significantly stronger squad when the transfer window closes. We could easily have had 12 additional points by December last season had Taylor & Mair been signed earlier - it's not an error we can afford to make again.

• Like 2

Anyway, as I say, I am concerned. As are other fans that use this forum. I think they are right to be concerned. For them to be called knicker wetters, pant wetters, pant pishers or whatever other wonderful underwear soiling names you have for them is a little pathetic.

Sorry for selective quoting but i really think while hitting the nail on the head you're also highlighting a sort of false seriousness. If that sound contradictory I apologise.. Just that if you take things to extremes the posters who are ultra worried about our lack of signings to date are, derogatory or not, best described as knicker wetters. Similarly those at the other extremity (something I'm fairly close to, I suppose) could be described as hiding our heads in the sand.

Bottom line is it's only petty name calling and the so called knicker wetters should just take it on the chin (if that doesn't sound a bit difficult :)). Maybe a good time to point out that all those worried posters on here don't own the franchise on the word "concerned". Kinda derogatory in a way to those of a different viewpoint. .

• Like 1

• Members

In fairness it's probably a pretty standard reply given to folk for a couple of weeks, when they enquire about something.

Maybe he has an Out of Office on his emails.

Och the only reason I mentioned it is because I'm sure there was some other stooshie or other at the end of the Season on here and someone mentioned then that Maxi was on holiday. More summer holidays than the schoolkids apparently!

We're definitely going to miss ATS's marauding runs down the left wing. I doubt Archie can bring in somebody who'll be equally as good right away, so that's a weak spot. I don't know if Stephenson can be considered as a straight replacement for Taylor. If not, then we're probably weaker in terms of strikers too. With Mair gone and if Gabby is out of the picture (which seems a shame), then we are weaker in central defence too. Unless some of our youngsters are ready to hit the ground running in the first team, then we could be in for a "bumpy" start to the season.

• Like 1

Sorry for selective quoting but i really think while hitting the nail on the head you're also highlighting a sort of false seriousness. If that sound contradictory I apologise.. Just that if you take things to extremes the posters who are ultra worried about our lack of signings to date are, derogatory or not, best described as knicker wetters. Similarly those at the other extremity (something I'm fairly close to, I suppose) could be described as hiding our heads in the sand.

Bottom line is it's only petty name calling and the so called knicker wetters should just take it on the chin (if that doesn't sound a bit difficult :)). Maybe a good time to point out that all those worried posters on here don't own the franchise on the word "concerned". Kinda derogatory in a way to those of a different viewpoint. .

Sorry LIB, to clarify - I should have said to call posters that every time they voice their concerns is a little pathetic.

I still think we can put 11 guys on the field at the moment who could beat anything else in the (expected) bottom 6 for the coming season. I'm not particularly envious of any of the signings made by the teams around us.

I still see the need for a few bodies coming in and it would be nice if they could be decent quality and soon. Actually think it's a bit of a luxury that we can now take a good look at a trialist and decide yay or nay,

Here's a quote from journo at Bournemouth Echo

in answer to my tweet to him re Zubar: On his day, he is good. Had a bad time with injury. He's a crowd favourite though. Surprised #pafc haven't taken him.

Anis was a crowd favourite. Didn't mean he was good though!!

I notice in the last couple of days that you've gone from insinuating you were ITK to naming someone you think is on trial here due to something you read on twitter to naming a trialist (wrongly) because a taxi driver had someone in his cab.

Think you're definitely on a fishing exercise!!

I still think we can put 11 guys on the field at the moment who could beat anything else in the (expected) bottom 6 for the coming season. I'm not particularly envious of any of the signings made by the teams around us.

I still see the need for a few bodies coming in and it would be nice if they could be decent quality and soon. Actually think it's a bit of a luxury that we can now take a good look at a trialist and decide yay or nay,

The problem is those 11 will get suspended / injured / tired and we have no back up, or real competition for their places

The problem is those 11 will get suspended / injured / tired and we have no back up, or real competition for their places

Exactly! Do the maths. Around 8 out and 2 in. At this moment in time, we are way weaker than we were last season. I will be amazed if we don't have at least 3 new faces in before the Ross County game, then again this is Thistle we are talking about, so nothing will or should surprise me

But it would take a combination of serious bad luck and a severe breakdown in discipline to be of an immediate problem. In addition I believe within the squad we've a good few players who can play in various positions if called upon. That's basically why I think Archie is trying to bring in quality rather than quantity. Undoubted the principal reason for the lack of signings to date. I'm happy enough assuming that to be the case. Others obviously less so.

What I would find rather unwelcoming would be if we fail to bring in relative quality and Archie feels then forced to bring in the more journeyman type of player solely to bolster the squad. That yet could happen but I still think it better that the manager continues to set his sights higher meantime.

I'm not advocating Zubar, merely passing on information which is a step up from wiki imo.

I really think people are overlooking the versatility/flexibility on the team. Not disagreeing we need 2/3 players

but i'm happy to let the manager get on with his job and remain confident we'll do well this season.

I also think there are some on here who are going to look

a bit daft...

Agreed. It is a problem and we all saw how we suffered in the middle of last season when we were forced to field makeshift defensive midfielders. You can't afford to do that at this level. However, we also saw the futility of bringing guys in just for the sake of filling squad places.

I guess it's down to either thinking that Archie sees the quality of player available and knows he can bring better in after some negotiation/waiting....or thinking that he's playing a dangerous gambling game by hanging around and not snapping up guys who could do a job.

What would everyone say is our strongest team if we had to start with only the players available right now out of interest. Assuming we're sticking with the 4-2-3-1, I'd go something along the lines of;

Gallacher: SOD/McMillan, aero, Conrad, McMillan/Keenan: bannigan/Fraser, osman: Elliott, Stevenson, higgy: doolan.

Obviously depends how good Keenan is, but if he looks promising I'd far rather play him there than shove McMillan out of position, who I would then play at right back. IMO, that's no weaker than any of the first 11's of the teams who we'll be competing with in the bottom 6 this season, and although I take the point that if we get a few injuries we could struggle, that goes for any team in our position. I agree that there are areas which need strengthening, at centre back for example, but if pish came to solve, we could field a competitive enough team.

What would everyone say is our strongest team if we had to start with only the players available right now out of interest. Assuming we're sticking with the 4-2-3-1, I'd go something along the lines of;

Gallacher: SOD/McMillan, aero, Conrad, McMillan/Keenan: bannigan/Fraser, osman: Elliott, Stevenson, higgy: doolan.

Obviously depends how good Keenan is, but if he looks promising I'd far rather play him there than shove McMillan out of position, who I would then play at right back. IMO, that's no weaker than any of the first 11's of the teams who we'll be competing with in the bottom 6 this season, and although I take the point that if we get a few injuries we could struggle, that goes for any team in our position. I agree that there are areas which need strengthening, at centre back for example, but if pish came to solve, we could field a competitive enough team.

There is no way Elliot will be in the team in front of Bannigan/Fraser