Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Unless injuries or suspensions, there is 4 of last seasons U20 team there (may still be U20) apart from Banzo and Welsh there is no one else

I understand your concerns, it's even worse that your comment suggests, because I would not expect much if anything from Welsh. the reality as far as I`m concerned the team looks good and over the next two weeks they must get tight and play together as a team. there are many names thrown in some even saying that it would be a mistake to free Piccolo (jings) but most are either mince or well out of our budget. Dale Keenan as full back? Yes why not. I we`re looking in the wrong direction for players that's why we now have an academy and a reserve team.

Come on! Random names with a wee bit of wiki background? Is this is what's passing for insight?

You did ask for names...

& your 'insight' is someone who knows someone who's heard something & put it on Twitter.

Point being nobody except those in the club know who we're chasing.

The manager has been quoted as saying he's looking for 6 players.

He's then been quoted as saying he had 3/4 players in mind for each position but has missed out.

Then yesterday he's now hoping to bring in '1 or 2'

The waiting for the domino effect to happen theory... We were linked with the Wigan Honduran left back. Now correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't waiting for other left backs to come in if suggest having already signed 2 this Summer yet that doesn't look like it's happening.

Not to say it won't be you'd have thought if it was the case we'd have seen/heard something other than a random name in a transfer gossip column.

When you look at our transfer inactivity on top of what's been mentioned previously about the inner workings of the club seeming to be a shambles then you start to be a little concerned.

Scouting system not in place.

Chairman openly talking to fans about one of our players moving out on loan when it looks like he doesn't want to go anywhere!

Federation reps meetings not happened.

U16s free for home & away then not.

Shed moved then not.

Catering outsourced then brought back in house.

Centenary Fund draws which never take place on time.

TAG...

Edited by Trotter

It would appear that our back room team who are responsible for signings are not at the races. I live in hope that Archie had a couple of top signings ready to put pen to paper this week. The trialists saga has been rediculous.We seem to have had Barr and Mustoe in for weeks, what was the point?

• Like 1

Come on! Random names with a wee bit of wiki background? Is this is what's passing for insight?

You have not offered any insight, just whinging and moaning.

Our budget only allows for free agents or loan signings. The players that I mentioned are free agents who played regularly at our level or above over the last two seasons. They certainly played at higher level than Parsons and Magnay.

Stephen Crainey is well known but he chose to sign for a club near where he lives. Jay McEveley has been capped by Scotland. Chris Chantler played with Prince Buaben at Carlisle before he was loaned to us. Callum Kennedy played for AFC Wimbledon where George Moncur was on loan in 2012/13.

Do you think that Parsons, Magnay, Damessi and the other recent trialists were scouted by our management team? Or just offered to us by their agents? My guess would be the latter.

So what are your suggestions? To stick with the players who finished 10th last season plus a few of the under 20s?

Edited by kni

Java jag, I agree, I fear the big Ross County forwards will over run them. We just can't afford a bad start to league campaign.dont buy this it will be alright on the night stuff from the club.Apart from when we signed Stevenson there has been no real incentive for fans to buy season tickets. I've got mine so I will head along as usual but can't see many new fans queuing up for season tickets. The PR at the club is very poor. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

How about Brian McLean who has been training with Coventry City for a few weeks? It would appear that Pressley has not signed him up.

Can't say I'm qualified to comment other than the central defence is the key to improving the team so we .....sign two midfielders ?!

Can't say I'm qualified to comment other than the central defence is the key to improving the team so we .....sign two midfielders ?!

Two midfielders who we also needed to sign IMO. Stevenson, if he plays anything like he can and has done, will be a great source of creativity for the team and should mean that we're not so reliant on higgy for a spark of creativity, and osman should provide the cover for the central defence that we lacked so much since Ozzy got injured. I won't disagree that the defence is a weak point, but there were other areas that needed addressing as well.

The PR at the club is very poor. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Well if you did then they wouldn't be behind the scenes. :)

I'm one of the few that thought Brian McLean looked alright. The last time I saw him anyway. But not seeing eye to eye with Adams possibly makes me slightly biased. Both Archie & Shaggy were at the match in question when I saw him play.

My point is a very simple one. There are deals currently being negotiated. They can't take place until other clubs get players in and out. No much of googling and wiki-ing and champ managing changes that. Fans should know better. This hand wringing is embarrassing.

& you know this how?

My point is a very simple one. There are deals currently being negotiated. They can't take place until other clubs get players in and out. No much of googling and wiki-ing and champ managing changes that. Fans should know better. This hand wringing is embarrassing.

I'd be extremely surprised if this was the case after the mish mash of trialists that have appeared at Firhill, if you're right that suggests proven players have been scouted with no need for a trial , if that's the case why haven't they been signed already and integrated into the squad, why leave it till 10 days before the season starts ? I hope your " insider knowledge " comes true but I doubt it .
  • Like 1

i have detected very little 'hand wringing'; but scott petrason told us last spring that if we could stay up then we would be able to attract a better class of player to the club...the chairman offered likewise in an stv(?) interview after we had achieved just that... our manager told us that our new training facility would make signing players an easier task. he also told us he would be looking to bring in 'five or six players'. and so we renewed our season tickets in the belief that we were a club with ambitions. ambitions? we have two cetral defenders (if we discount gabby), no left-back and no back up to dools. i trust you are right and there are several 'deals curently being negotiated'. until those deals are completed, however, and with the first game of the season looming, i think we should be allowed to voice our concerns on this forum without being ridiculed as doom and gloom merchants.

• Like 2

They haven't been signed because their clubs are in the process of signing replacements? Just like the Higgy situation last year. Huddersfield made a signing, he was surplus to requirements. We got him.

As for the trialists, any good manager will be constantly evaluating who is available, Osman for example.

This is pretty basic stuff. I'm surprised it needs explained.

Robphil, none of the statements made by anyone at the club are at this stage untrue. The time to judge is when the window has closed. Even then, it is only a problem if the team aren't getting results.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

They haven't been signed because their clubs are in the process of signing replacements? Just like the Higgy situation last year. Huddersfield made a signing, he was surplus to requirements. We got him.

As for the trialists, any good manager will be constantly evaluating who is available, Osman for example.

Robphil, none of the statements made by anyone at the club are at this stage untrue. The time to judge is when the window has closed. Even then, it is only a problem if the team aren't getting results.

Colin,

The time to judge is now.

The original targets (whoever they were) haven't trapped. Lyle Taylor was clearly one of those.

We are now at plan B or C level.

I don't buy your theory that it will come good by 31st August. Most of the six signings should have been sorted by the start of the World Cup.

Archie, Maxie and Beattie have made a rod for their own back with this one, and they thoroughly deserve to be beaten with it.

• Like 1

In seeing you haven't said how you're ITK, why would you have trialists for a month if you were confident of getting these better players?

Are we not wasting these boys time?

The Wigan Honduran left back was at least 3rd in the pecking order behind their 2 Summer signing left backs, surplus to requirements at that stage, linked with us but nothing.

Is it likely to happen?

The manager also said he wanted his business done early. We were also told that the other 'signings' wouldn't be as high profile as Stevenson- not sure that a Honduran left back is less high profile...

So... How many signings will we be making? 1? 2? More?

Edited by Trotter

I'm confused, and forgive me if you do have legitimate information (I don't know if you're involved with the club?), but is this 100% true or guesswork?