Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Watt was probably a non-starter as bigger clubs than us would be after him. What about the Bosnian lad Atajic who Celtic sent on loan to Shrewsbury last season. If we are after a loan striker would he be worth a punt ?

They've signed a Norwegian lad from Cardiff also- I'd imagine someone their manager knows/rates. They have Balde- likely looking to offload- Stokes, Griffiths & the new boy so Atajic down the order so to speak.

Pretty sure we were linked with him on deadline day last August also.

What I would say is a LB & CH should be priorities ahead of a CF though I guess if a player becomes available....

That said, goes down to the willingness of our BoD to release some funds!!

And Allan Gow is training with Caley.... so, no matter how bad folk think it is, at least Allan Gow isn't training with us.

Gow = Stevenson

I also think we'd have been delighted to see him come in last January as was rumoured then.

I'll hang fire towards the end of the window but the more I think about the manager's comments in today's paper the more resentful I feel towards our BoD.

We should be better than relying on players coming in on trial. The odd one or two fair enough but Dumbarton seems to suggest we're scraping a barrel. Especially even playing the big lad who started alongside Osman that day.

I'm in my 40s & more mobile than him!! (& I can't pass a ball).

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/sport/partick-thistle/osbourne-still-on-jags-radar-for-firhill-return-173653n.24887096

So the manager says he had 3 or 4 targets in mind for each position but hasn't got them.

Are we that unlucky?

Edited to add that I'm not saying it's the manager that's telling porkies!!

BoD culpable with wages or just unlucky that we've missed out on so many?

If we had 3-4 targets for each position and we still need 3 positions filled , then that means we've missed on 9-12 targets.

Wow!

They've obviously worked hard to identify who they wanted on their short list, must be down to money I suppose.

Just signed a 5 year deal with them. I think they probably liked him :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/28537098

They liked Watt enough to pay £1.2 million for him. Literally out of our league!

And Allan Gow is training with Caley.... so, no matter how bad folk think it is, at least Allan Gow isn't training with us.

That's good news. Gow reportedly turned down a "long term deal" with Bristol Rovers who were relegated to the Conference Premier last season.

Edited by kni

Unless we get 2 decent CBs and a left back it's hoping yo be a difficult season

I think you momentarily lost control of the English language towards the end of that sentence. I know the feeling all too well.

Anyway I don't think we need to bring in two decent centrebacks. I'll be disappointed if we don't bring in one but two is overkill. The template for the CB we bring in should be based on the experience of Mair but should have the level of mobility of the average SPFL defender. Regardless of stronger foot an ability to play either right or left centreback should be fundamental.

I'm starting to believe that Keenan could easily start at left back a year from now and think that bringing in a bit more quality on loan than we could afford to buy would be preferable. Even that I realise can prove difficult.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

We don't need 2 new centre backs IMO. If we lined up with balatoni and new centre back, then that would leave us with muirhead, McMillan and Lindsay in reserve, even if we are punting picolo. Keenan seems to have played centre back today as well so I guess in a proper emergency we could use him. I think that's more than enough cover and would rather see the wages spent on another striker

Just my opinion but our defence was the weakest part of the team last season and the central area the key weak spot....we need to really improve the goals against stats if we are not to be in the play off fight ....personally I'm not a great fan of any of our CBs

If you look at the raw stats, our weak point was definitely "in defence" though whether that is solely attributable to the quality of defenders is another matter.

We did concede the joint second-highest goals against tally, only one better off than Killie and tied with Hearts at 65, which is 1.71 goals per game. If you compare that to St Johnstone (1.11) and Caley Thistle (1.16) it's easy to see why, despite being the 6th highest scorers in the league, we were nowhere near the top six.

I suspect that is in part down to a combination of a lack of experience, height, and pace in the two central defence berths, but it is also, I feel, partly attributable to us having had two very aggressive full-backs in the form of O'Donnell and Taylor-Sinclair.

For good reason they were asked to play advanced roles up the pitch, but they had little support in front of them from experienced "diggers". This is as much due to a lack of a thug in midfield to free up Bannigan (who was always good at supporting Taylor-Sinclair on the left, especially in our title-season) and the lack of any support for O'Donnell, except when, oddly enough, Christie Elliott was playing the advanced right-wing position.

If we could get one experienced but mobile central defender in to support Balatoni and/or Muirhead I think they're actually okay to cut it at this level. It's interesting that Archie has been testing out a back 3 plus wing-backs in at least one of our pre-season games. You might find that as the season goes on this will be our "plan B", whereby the "Erskine" position gets sacrificed for a sweeper and the two attacking wingers have to pull in a bit more centrally. The extra man in defence would mean we were less exposed in a wing-based counter-attack.

Muirhead was one of my favourite players in the title winning season and I really expected him to kick on. Last season was a strange one for him, he never really got to grips with it to begin with, looked okay at times and when Mair came in I thought it'd be Mair and Muirhead in the centre. Instead he went to midfield, then got injured, and that was that.

Hopefully a lot's been learned. Balatoni certainly came onto a game as the season progressed so I'm not giving up hope of those two doing well at this level.

The only reservation I'd have about bringing two centre halves in is because I'd love to see Lindsay stake a claim - as one of our own youngsters. But I have to hold my hands up and admit I haven't seen much of him so he might not be ready yet.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

You might find that as the season goes on this will be our "plan B", whereby the "Erskine" position gets sacrificed for a sweeper and the two attacking wingers have to pull in a bit more centrally. The extra man in defence would mean we were less exposed in a wing-based counter-attack.

There's another way of looking at things but coming to the same conclusion.

It's a fair assumption that we're not going to replace ATS with someone who can get up and down the park anything like as effectively. McMillan could be preferred to SOD and in that case you don't have an out and out attacking full back on the right either. I think that'll then often push Fraser & Bannigan out wider and further up the park and in turn could expose central midfield. Osman looks tailor made to be the anchor in central mid. Same result sacrificing an attacking midfielder.

I actually think muirheads receiving some harsh criticism as I heard he's been carrying his injury from the start of last season and in our first few games to me looked more up for it than balatoni !was wondering if the possible return of osbourne might be for cover at cb aswell !

Muirhead was miles off the pace of the game, so many goals were lost through "his man". Killie, Celtic, up at tanadice, are 3 games that have stuck in my mind.

He was repeatedly 2 yards off his man, struggling to judge the timing of their runs. Which is a real pity as the season before, he looked like he was the complete player.

But Archie obviously has faith in him, so I hope he comes good again. I hope his time out injured has been a positive and that he studied teams for the 90 minutes he was in the stand, focusing on the strikers, and how they play.

• Like 1

• Members

I was concerned that we were a bit lacking in support for our right backs from the right sided midfielders last season where we lost an awful lot of goals coming from that side of the park. I'm not sure that issue has been addressed or has even been looked at. I'm hoping that SOD fills that spot with McMillan cementing his place at Right Back.

I'm actually more pleased with the signing of Osman than Stevenson as I think Osman gives us something different from what we have in the team at the moment and I'm not really sure if Stevenson brings us something we don't already have.

Muirhead was miles off the pace of the game, so many goals were lost through "his man". Killie, Celtic, up at tanadice, are 3 games that have stuck in my mind.

He was repeatedly 2 yards off his man, struggling to judge the timing of their runs. Which is a real pity as the season before, he looked like he was the complete player.

But Archie obviously has faith in him, so I hope he comes good again. I hope his time out injured has been a positive and that he studied teams for the 90 minutes he was in the stand, focusing on the strikers, and how they play.

Never seen many away games last year mate but I honestly thought he was adjusting better but like a also said aparantly the injury he had was from the start of the season and worsened so I'd like to see him back in the team fit ! And also with gallacher behind him

I was concerned that we were a bit lacking in support for our right backs from the right sided midfielders last season where we lost an awful lot of goals coming from that side of the park. I'm not sure that issue has been addressed or has even been looked at. I'm hoping that SOD fills that spot with McMillan cementing his place at Right Back.

I'm actually more pleased with the signing of Osman than Stevenson as I think Osman gives us something different from what we have in the team at the moment and I'm not really sure if Stevenson brings us something we don't already have.

I think Stevenson will change and improve the mentality and physicality of the attacking side of our game. Last season there was no one there who said, "you aren't going to bully me, I'm going to boss this defence." There was no strength, desire, fight in the team. Highly was close to that, but all too often he verged on petulance. Likewise Banzo. Taylor too came close, but couldn't maintain it for 90 minutes.

Never seen many away games last year mate but I honestly thought he was adjusting better but like a also said aparantly the injury he had was from the start of the season and worsened so I'd like to see him back in the team fit ! And also with gallacher behind him

It's quite possible having Gal behind him will make a big difference actually.

think Stevenson will be a massive help to younger players, has that odd shot that no 1 else will take n scores and has the abilty to have 3 or 4 games where he's capable of winning 3 points on his own ! Think he brings a lot to the team we don't have

Big strong centre forward, bags of experience scored at all levels. Starting to lose patience with Archie. Outbid or what?

http://www.edinburgh...lkirk-1-3492990

I assume that you are being sarcastic. "Disappointing spell with Morton last season" sums O'Connor up - one goal in eleven appearances according to Wikipedia. The Lowland League must be his level now.

I assume that you are being sarcastic. "Disappointing spell with Morton last season" sums O'Connor up - one goal in eleven appearances according to Wikipedia. The Lowland League must be his level now.

100% positive it was sarcastic from how i read it :D

Seen pics of him last season bursting out the XXXL Morton top and couldn't believe how out of shape he was.

A waster of a player who should still be playing at a decent level

100% positive it was sarcastic from how i read it :D

Seen pics of him last season bursting out the XXXL Morton top and couldn't believe how out of shape he was.

A waster of a player who should still be playing at a decent level

Spot on! It's sad to see O'Connor in that league at 31.