Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

You did ask for names...

& your 'insight' is someone who knows someone who's heard something & put it on Twitter.

Point being nobody except those in the club know who we're chasing.

The manager has been quoted as saying he's looking for 6 players.

He's then been quoted as saying he had 3/4 players in mind for each position but has missed out.

Then yesterday he's now hoping to bring in '1 or 2'

The waiting for the domino effect to happen theory... We were linked with the Wigan Honduran left back. Now correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't waiting for other left backs to come in if suggest having already signed 2 this Summer yet that doesn't look like it's happening.

Not to say it won't be you'd have thought if it was the case we'd have seen/heard something other than a random name in a transfer gossip column.

When you look at our transfer inactivity on top of what's been mentioned previously about the inner workings of the club seeming to be a shambles then you start to be a little concerned.

Scouting system not in place.

Chairman openly talking to fans about one of our players moving out on loan when it looks like he doesn't want to go anywhere!

Federation reps meetings not happened.

U16s free for home & away then not.

Shed moved then not.

Catering outsourced then brought back in house.

Centenary Fund draws which never take place on time.

TAG...

Pretty sure that if I was a board member and irrespective of what I did I still got stick from fans, I would just say to myself "stuff them"

Pretty sure that if I was a board member and irrespective of what I did I still got stick from fans, I would just say to myself "stuff them"

Truthfully....

I think they already have.

Behind the scenes whether it be office staff or whatever has been a shambles for years.

Michelle Evans left to do other things including the Commonwealth Games I think. It wasn't a surprise but wasn't replaced.

Same for Bobby Dinnie.

I had a number of issues around my seat & also hospitality over the past couple of seasons, both of which sickened me to the point of saying I'm not doing it again- monies I'm talking about- & yet I do.

A tangent I know but many of these guys on the BoD don't even hold shares IIRC.

Keep saying it, they are custodians. They don't want it, let them walk away & give the club to its rightful owners- the fans.

• Like 1

I get that people are worried about signings but some of you need to get a grip. The majority of posts on any transfer thread this close season have been an embarrassment.

Think I'll go to the Fellow Jags page on Facebook for intellectual discussion from now on.

Think David Beattie etc were quite happy to take the plaudits when we won the Championship , so provided any criticism is constructive then so be it whether it's the Propco deal, TAG , Centenary Fund etc etc , most of us want to see the club do well and this season especially without Sevco, Hibs and Hearts is a fantastic chance to cement our place in the league, hopefully it still happens and we're not involved in the proverbial dogfight.
  • Like 1

I get that people are worried about signings but some of you need to get a grip. The majority of posts on any transfer thread this close season have been an embarrassment.

Think I'll go to the Fellow Jags page on Facebook for intellectual discussion from now on.

Why exactly do we need to 'get a grip' wise guy?

People discussing how the board have not lived up to their promises is hardly an embarrassment mate.. Neither is people discussing their concerns about the lack of cover in the team or questioning Archies methods of trialing players for important postions..

Calling posters an embarrassment just because some of us raise doubts about this transfer window.. why not discuss instead of just trolling?

Colin,

The time to judge is now.

The original targets (whoever they were) haven't trapped. Lyle Taylor was clearly one of those.

We are now at plan B or C level.

I don't buy your theory that it will come good by 31st August. Most of the six signings should have been sorted by the start of the World Cup.

Archie, Maxie and Beattie have made a rod for their own back with this one, and they thoroughly deserve to be beaten with it.

Who do you think you are supporting? When did the Jags become Man City? We don't have the budget to just go out and bring in who we want. Archie will live or die by his activity this summer do you seriously think he doesn't know that?

Get off his back there is almost a month to shape the team let him get on with it without the dross that is coming from this forum.

So if you are signing a player on loan, how do you do that before the World Cup? Given that these deals are by nature last minute?

Granted that's probably a bit difficult when Maxie is away on holiday , Archie's away on holiday, then there's the boys' holiday in Murcia to " check facilities " , yes you're right that's when deals become last minute.

Has anyone told Archie that this isn't good enough and that he needs to get his signings all tied up well before now? Also someone should let him know that everything he decides must be posted on this forum or put on the website immediately after he makes a decision. This running the rule over players, giving them every opportunity to make an impression doesnt seem to be working with some folk.

I'd like messi, that Neymar bloke and a Roberto Carlos type of player in too but things are not always possible, any chance we can wait till the window closes before we judge this seasons signings? Also looking forward a bit, can we also wait till the season is well established before pushing the doom and gloom wagon down the hill and climbing aboard?

Oh, and Clap clap clap - just to cement my misguided positive outlook into the stereotypical pigeon hole (as required).

My club is back where it belongs on a decent financial footing and competing with most of the other teams in the league for the best players available, some we will get and some we won't! Life eh!

• Like 4

i have detected very little 'hand wringing'; but scott petrason told us last spring that if we could stay up then we would be able to attract a better class of player to the club...the chairman offered likewise in an stv(?) interview after we had achieved just that... our manager told us that our new training facility would make signing players an easier task. he also told us he would be looking to bring in 'five or six players'. and so we renewed our season tickets in the belief that we were a club with ambitions. ambitions? we have two cetral defenders (if we discount gabby), no left-back and no back up to dools. i trust you are right and there are several 'deals curently being negotiated'. until those deals are completed, however, and with the first game of the season looming, i think we should be allowed to voice our concerns on this forum without being ridiculed as doom and gloom merchants.

Well said that man.

Did we not have issues last season as Maxi was on holiday till start of August then the signings happened, could it be the same this year?

No offence to Maxi but the club should be having a word in his ear about when he should be having his fortnight in Magaluf. Early in summer as possible surely. Love that we couldn't complete some business without Maxi. Player goes elsewhere and we get dross that relegates us cause our General Manager was on holiday at the busiest time of his working year. Only at Thistle!

The Wigan Honduran left back was at least 3rd in the pecking order behind their 2 Summer signing left backs, surplus to requirements at that stage, linked with us but nothing.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you suggesting that left backs line up in order of their own estimation of their own importance for consideration of joining PTFC?

Must admit to not knowing much about other websites but talking in general the transfer/signing stuff that's been posted on here has been relatively guff. That's not a particular go at most fellow posters on here more reference to previous years when. let's be kind, things have been a bit more insightful.

Do agree tho' that the repetitive issue punters here could benefit from a bit of navel gazing.

The same people knicker wetting on here, for that is what it is, are the same people who said we wouldn't get promoted in the 2012/13 season, who said we wouldn't stay up in the 2013/14 season, right up until we did, and even then we stayed up in SPITE of what the management at the club did.

Shockaroony they're now predicting armageddon for the 2014/15 season. Anyone else see a pattern emerging here? I take it they'll just keep predicting the worst until one day the worst actually happens (which it will - we're Partick Thistle, y'know!) and then they can say.....................TOLD YE SOOOOOO!!!!!

It's bloody pathetic. I have concerns about our squad, but have a little faith that the management are capable people. They have shown to be nothing less so far.

Mon the Jags.

• Like 3

To be honest, I think folk have got every right to feel concern, and if they want to communicate that concern via the forum, well it's discussion that will keep the forum open and active.

It just seems very repetitive. Person voices concern, person gets shouted down by folk asking questions with no answers of their own. And repeat.

• Like 2

When the manager set the "we need 5/6 players target," we had both Muirhead and O'Donnel recovering from injuries. I think it's reasonably safe to assume that they are match fit, if not nearly there.

We have signed Stevenson and Osman. The signing of Stevenson gives cover and flexibility up front. So you could argue that we are better off there. The signing of Osman gives us much needed strength in midfield and will also help the defence. The two goalkeeper positions are sorted.

So really we are a centre half and a full back short of a fairly decent outfit.

So i guess fans have a "right" to be concerned but it looks more like hysteria from where i am sitting.

When the manager set the "we need 5/6 players target," we had both Muirhead and O'Donnel recovering from injuries. I think it's reasonably safe to assume that they are match fit, if not nearly there.

We have signed Stevenson and Osman. The signing of Stevenson gives cover and flexibility up front. So you could argue that we are better off there. The signing of Osman gives us much needed strength in midfield and will also help the defence. The two goalkeeper positions are sorted.

So really we are a centre half and a full back short of a fairly decent outfit.

So i guess fans have a "right" to be concerned but it looks more like hysteria from where i am sitting.

You're either a mouthpiece for the BoD or on a fishing exercise!

Yesterday you insinuated you were In the Know, today you're suggesting that the reason we needed the extra players was because of injuries to O'Donnell & Muirhead.

Muirhead was always going to be fit for the start of the season. If they'd rushed him their would've been a chance he could've been fit for the play off games (if we'd been there).

O'Donnell was, I believe, touch & go for start of the season but why do we need an additional player there when McMillan can play there. Welsh & Muirhead also. Unlikely to buy another right back!!

We need cover for Doolan. We did last season & we do this. We do need the centre half & left back also but by your logic we need the additional two players for Welsh & Bannigan's long term injuries.

I'm sure Archie could go and sign a few players if he wanted - such as Barr and Mustoe. But what if he wants better than Barr and Mustoe? What if he feels that he'd prefer to play Lindsay and Keenan than sign Barr and Mustoe, if he can't get better players in?

I'd much rather see us hold out to sign players that would actually improve the squad rather than sign dross. And I'd rather see us give our youngsters a chance than sign dross. Yet it appears most people on here would rather we signed dross just so we had made a few signings. Mental.

• Like 1