Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

In what way did the defense change?

As far as I could see our defense stayed the same, more or less, but we started scoring more.

Apart from Gallacher displacing Fox, Mair came in for Piccolo and McMillan replaced O'Donnell. I think it's fair to say the defence changed.

For what it's worth, and I've said this before, I think McMillan's value in the second half of the season has been somewhat overlooked; a much better full-back than O'Donnell, in my opinion.

• Members

If that's 'Fellow Jags Fans' then it's likely to be complete and utter tripe.

Yeah some of the other stuff emerging there this afternoon (coming via Twitter apparently) does make it seem highly unlikely. Also saying, Gabby is wanted on a 6 month loan by both Edinburgh clubs and Swindon. Also Christie is wanted for a season long loan at Bradford. Latest is some Dutch 2nd division player coming in as a Centre back.

Apart from Gallacher displacing Fox, Mair came in for Piccolo and McMillan replaced O'Donnell. I think it's fair to say the defence changed.

For what it's worth, and I've said this before, I think McMillan's value in the second half of the season has been somewhat overlooked; a much better full-back than O'Donnell, in my opinion.

Personel changed, effectiveness didn't

I think Stevenson will change and improve the mentality and physicality of the attacking side of our game. Last season there was no one there who said, "you aren't going to bully me, I'm going to boss this defence." There was no strength, desire, fight in the team. Highly was close to that, but all too often he verged on petulance. Likewise Banzo. Taylor too came close, but couldn't maintain it for 90 minutes.

As much as I like Banzo, someone needs to put their arm round him and have a wee word in his ear. He does a lot of good work but he's a bloody liability at times. Always on the verge of a cheap petulant booking. Interesting to find out how many goals we conceded from play that stemmed from a Banzo foul.

If Banzo was fit and Osman looked half decent alongside Fraser would you consider putting Banzo into left back? I know I would!

We're not going to find another LB as good as ATS, lets face it. If Banzo and Fraser are both fit then where is Osman going to play? maybe Fraser could play in the middle next to Higgy and Steevo, that could be a great midfield mind you. I just wonder if Archie has had Bannigan at left back in the back of his mind and that's why he's signed Osman. I think we could be all getting too bogged down with finding a replacement for ATS when there's one in the team already.

If Banzo was fit and Osman looked half decent alongside Fraser would you consider putting Banzo into left back? I know I would!

We're not going to find another LB as good as ATS, lets face it. If Banzo and Fraser are both fit then where is Osman going to play? maybe Fraser could play in the middle next to Higgy and Steevo, that could be a great midfield mind you. I just wonder if Archie has had Bannigan at left back in the back of his mind and that's why he's signed Osman. I think we could be all getting too bogged down with finding a replacement for ATS when there's one in the team already.

I'm sure Bannigan would be happy enough to cover at left back now and again, but I don't think at this stage in his career he'd have signed an extension if he thought he'd be played out of his preferred position. It would tho' be an interesting scenario if the most competent left back at the club didn't play in that position.

Actually I'm far from certain Stuart is a clean enough tackler to be a successful left back at this level. Good cover undoubtedly but McMillan is possibly the better defender.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Is this the same ATS that folk were moaning about for the lack of procision in his final ball and general defensive prowess? ;)

Aaron was a fine servant but very far from irreplacable, imo.

Edited by jagfox
  • Like 3

O'Donnell played for a good while carrying an injury. McMillan had the advantage of playing most games when Gallagher and Mair were in the team and the defence was working a bit better. Even then McMillan didn't settle in right away and was a bit dodgy in some of his early games.

O'Donnell played for a good while carrying an injury. McMillan had the advantage of playing most games when Gallagher and Mair were in the team and the defence was working a bit better. Even then McMillan didn't settle in right away and was a bit dodgy in some of his early games.

McMillan and SOD are very different types of players and as such I think comparison is hard. Yes, they are both right backs but sod is clearly a much more attack minded player, almost a wing back really whereas McMillan is much more defensive minded picking and choosing to go forward much less frequently. I personally prefer McMillan, but I also see odonnell as being a useful option to have when trying to attack teams. Generally I'd like to see McMillan playing against the better sides to try and sure up the defence and sod being unleashed in games we're looking to win against the teams around us.

The LB conundrum is no doubt complicated by the importance of marauding wing-backs to our attacking play. Although Archie has become more conservative as time has gone on, there are few teams in Scotland that play with both wing-backs as high up the pitch as we do. Under McNamara it was becoming suicidal. I suppose what I'm saying is that we're not just looking for a LB but an ATS-shaped attacking LB, and there aren't many of those in our price range.