Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Surprised Matt Parsons got another game over in Ireland - did not look up to it against Dumbarton. Looking at his playing history being released by a league two side after playing 10 games does not fill me with to much hope.

http://www.eveningti...73498n.24867273

Okay background starting at Crystal Palace but the lad has barely played professional first-team football, only 28 games in 4 years total according to Wiki. In saying that, Fraser has probably only played about that many first-team games and he is good enough!

Have not seen him play so can't pass judgement but I would hope we could get better, on paper at least.

Hopefully he is impressing in training and in pre-season games.

Edited by mhs

This is getting ridiculous. Try comparing McPake's recent career history with Barr's.

According to stats Barr has played 70 odd in 4 seasons against 100 odd for McPake in 5 seasons plus an international cap for Northern Ireland.

Not sure recent stats tell you much!!

Agree with OneteaminGlasgow though- McPake shite, as is Barr!

Agree with you Dark Passanger about Parsons & if anything that's what concerns me most about the Summer transfer activity- or lack off.

Many folk have pointed out we knew ATS away from last Summer yet we're scraping around having a look at ineffective trialists. Not good whatever way you look at it.

According to stats Barr has played 70 odd in 4 seasons against 100 odd for McPake in 5 seasons plus an international cap for Northern Ireland.

Not sure recent stats tell you much!!

Agree with OneteaminGlasgow though- McPake shite, as is Barr!

Agree with you Dark Passanger about Parsons & if anything that's what concerns me most about the Summer transfer activity- or lack off.

Many folk have pointed out we knew ATS away from last Summer yet we're scraping around having a look at ineffective trialists. Not good whatever way you look at it.

We were still looking for a replacement for Erskine right up to the start of the season - then Archie signed Higgy who in my opinion on his form of the second half of the season would get a game for every team bar Celtic in this league.

Would we have stayed up if we did not signed him? I don't think so.

Would we have stayed up if we did not signed him? I don't think so.

Completely agree with you. His form at the end of last season easily makes him one of the best players I’ve seen at Firhill in a very long time. I’m actually surprised we have been able to keep a hold of him this summer.

• Like 3

Completely agree with you. His form at the end of last season easily makes him one of the best players I’ve seen at Firhill in a very long time. I’m actually surprised we have been able to keep a hold of him this summer.

We signed him on a two-year contract so real cash would have to be paid to move him this summer. The one club likely to pay in our league is Celtic and they don't need him.

Clubs outside our league may get recommendations about some SPL players but wouldn't be likely to pay unless there is a real need for a particular type of player and there's sell on potential. ATS left - he was good but he went for nothing. We could easily lose Higgy at the end of next season - in fact I think keeping players like him will depend on us making progress in the league.

Really feel that relying on the fact we got Higgy pretty much last minute last season.. Isn't a sound way to go about recruiting players and tbh will barely inspire the good players we have to sign on again when their contracts are up..

Maybe Orville the Duck will find himself at a loose end?

Really feel that relying on the fact we got Higgy pretty much last minute last season.. Isn't a sound way to go about recruiting players and tbh will barely inspire the good players we have to sign on again when their contracts are up..

Maybe Orville the Duck will find himself at a loose end?

Stupid comment. Are you actually saying the management team are deliberately relying on getting a player in at the last minute? Or that folk are saying they can rely on this? Actually it looks like you are hence my first statement.

We are a small club. We have probably 2nd lowest budget in our league. That means we won't find it easy to get the players we want. That means some of the players might (note - might) not be acquired until the very last minute. It doesn't mean we are deliberately waiting to the last minute to bring guys in (or even think it's OK to do so) it just means that we might - might - have to wait.

Also the guys training with us may not be our main targets - I don't know if they are or not but we will have guys we're trying to sign and guys that are back up if we don't get our main target. None of us know who though. The time to start moaning is when the window closes.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

I agree that this close season has not been theist inspiring for the season ahead or season ticket sales. The players that have been on trial are no better if not worse than we had before. Really hope Archie can pull it out the bag in the next week. Long season ahead and already we are going to be too reliant on a fit Higgy by the looks of it.

How come i've never read a decent suggestion for an ATS replacement on here? Is it because most of the whingers are clueless? Or because FIFA 14 is out of date?

There does not seem to be many available left-backs whom we can or could afford. Barnsley are reportedly interested in Stephen Crainey, 33, who was released by Wigan with Jordan Mustoe. Jay McEveley, 29, was released by Swindon Town in League One but he has a family and may want a club nearer home.

A quick search on the PFA's free agent list produced a few unknown possibilities. Chris Chantler, 23 and ex Man City youth player, was released by Carlisle United after around 50 appearances in the last two seasons. Andrew Taylor, 28, played around 70 games for Walsall in League One in the last two seasons. Scott Barron, 28, was released by Brentford and had plenty of Championship experience at Millwall under Kenny Jackett.

ETA - any suggestions for loans, e.g. Chalmers of Celtic?

Edited by kni

Wouldn't be very enamoured with the signing of Parsons at all and find it quite strange that we gave him another opportunity to impress yesterday considering his extremely average performance against Dumbarton. We've invested a fair bit of money and playing time in Mustoe and Barr so I'm slightly surprised that neither travelled to Belfast unless we've ended our interest in both. There will be a fair few players available on loan in the coming weeks and I won't be surprised to see us pick up a couple; it'll be interesting to see what Swansea plan to do with Stephen Kingsley and Huddersfield were looking to loan out Murray Wallace last season - two guys who would solve our full-back issue albeit temporarily.

How come i've never read a decent suggestion for an ATS replacement on here? Is it because most of the whingers are clueless? Or because FIFA 14 is out of date?

Said it already, we should have been courting Tesselar, who has played left back with the teams in Scotland, but is naturally a centre half.

So who's your suggestion, then?

Ashley Cole has already gone to Roma, Evra to Juventus, Sandy Robertson to Hull and Tesselar has gone to Paisley.

Someone has to play left back, and PTFC has not done well enough in this instance, that's clear.

So who else is available - Lee Wallace?

So who is your decent suggestion?

^ Simon Lappin is available after being released by Cardiff City. He had a short loan spell at Sheffield United last season but we probably can't afford him either.

ETA - Spare a thought for Southampton's fans tonight. Their owner appears to be selling all of last season's team to get her late father's money back.

Edited by kni

How do we know if any of the players on trial will work out for us. Rewind to the tail end of div 1 season. McMillan and Dowie signed, but not to any huge fanfair. In fact I would say that it was a pretty underwhelming reaction from the fans. Dowie played a huge part in us getting promoted and McMillan is now pretty much 1st choice. On the other hand we were overjoyed when Erskine returned in Jan, but he didn't put in too many memorable performances.

Not a stupid comment at all mate! and quite a few posters on here are saying that this is the exact way that we should be making our signings seeing what we can grab in the last week...

No they're not. They're saying it might take us to the last week but that's OK as long as we get decent players in - they're NOT saying we have to wait or ought to wait. We'd all love to see some signings this coming week but common sense tells us 1) it might not happens and 2) if it doesn't happen it's too early to get in a panic about it.

We'd all have preferred all the players we need being signed weeks ago but that's not how things work even for bigger teams than us.

Am actually expecting 2 decent signings now they must have some 1 in mind surely or is ut a case of we have been too scared to waste a wage like last season ( Baird Kerr ) that we've slightly missed out ! None of us actually know gna be very interesting to see what comes about ! Few players others have signed I would have taken but I'm certainly no manager :)) !!

I don't believe you're playing the game. Next you'll be telling us Archie was correct to release Steven Craig and Andy Dowie.

There does not seem to be many available left-backs whom we can or could afford. Barnsley are reportedly interested in Stephen Crainey, 33, who was released by Wigan with Jordan Mustoe. Jay McEveley, 29, was released by Swindon Town in League One but he has a family and may want a club nearer home.

A quick search on the PFA's free agent list produced a few unknown possibilities. Chris Chantler, 23 and ex Man City youth player, was released by Carlisle United after around 50 appearances in the last two seasons. Andrew Taylor, 28, played around 70 games for Walsall in League One in the last two seasons. Scott Barron, 28, was released by Brentford and had plenty of Championship experience at Millwall under Kenny Jackett.

ETA - any suggestions for loans, e.g. Chalmers of Celtic?

Well done :thumbsup2: . As a matter of interest (to be truthful of very little interest) have you ever been at a match and seen any of the above named players actually kick a ball.?