Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

So there are a few options out there. As listed above.

Even if Archie hasn't seen some of them, I'd hope he's enquired about them. But if Archie has, then the majority of Scottish Premiership teams will have, too.

Just because other teams have these positions sorted, doesn't mean they haven't looked at who's available.

The first question will be, how much would it cost in wages to bring such a player to Scotland?

If they are above budget and would prevent a player of the required standard of quality taking another position. Then we can't follow our interest. Not until they are struggling for a team and lower their demands.

Edited by potty trained

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/sport/partick-thistle/osbourne-still-on-jags-radar-for-firhill-return-173653n.24887096

So the manager says he had 3 or 4 targets in mind for each position but hasn't got them.

Are we that unlucky?

Edited to add that I'm not saying it's the manager that's telling porkies!!

BoD culpable with wages or just unlucky that we've missed out on so many?

Edited by Trotter

http://www.eveningti...73653n.24887096

So the manager says he had 3 or 4 targets in mind for each position but hasn't got them.

Are we that unlucky?

Archie's comments suggest that we are not offering big enough wages but we can't expect the Directors to fund operating losses personally.

The last game defeat at home to County was very costly last season. If we had finished 7th, the manager could have had around £200k more to spend.

We are probably budgeting to finish 10th again. There's no point on wasting money on players that will not improve the squad.

http://www.eveningti...73653n.24887096

Are we that unlucky?

I thought we were told the wage salary was almost doubling (or certainly greatly increasing) this season, only a handful of players have signed new deals so there should be plenty money available.We were also promised preparation and planning would ensure swifter action this close-season. We have proper training facilities now which was cited as a negative last season for attracting players.

Nothing we can do unfortunately, just have to sit and wait to see what happens with signings. We are clearly scraping the barrel now which is concerning.

If we had finished seventh we would have had an extra £150k and maybe looked more attractive as a club on the up.

Still got time, lets hope Archie can work a very minor miracle and grab a few great players!!!

Edited to add... Why sign Ozzy again? We have Osman for the centre-mid holding role, plus Banzo, Fraser and supposedly Welsh (in six weeks time!). Unless it is with a view to playing Ozzy at centre-back?

Edited by mhs

Just takes me back to the bullsh*t that Beattie fed us in the STV interview where he said there would be finances in place to offer improved wages and actually named dropped Lyle Taylor as a player they could afford to bring to the club. Stevenson has been a great signing but let's be honest, the only reason we got him was because of his driving ban and the fact that he lives a short taxi journey from both the ground and the new training facility. The drop in wages was acceptable based on the money he would save on travel expenses over the season. That's not to say he wants to be a Thistle player and will give us his all.

The playing budget surely is the most important aspect of the football business that these guys run. If we can't bring a high enough calibre of player to Firhill then we can't move up the table, we can't chase more lucrative sponsorship deals, we won't sell as many season tickets, sell as many strips or merchandise.

Archie takes alot of the flack for being frugal with the signings and not bringing many in but at the end of the day he can only work with what he has in front of him and what the BoD provide.

• Like 1

Stevenson has been a great signing but let's be honest, the only reason we got him was because of his driving ban and the fact that he lives a short taxi journey from both the ground and the new training facility. The drop in wages was acceptable based on the money he would save on travel expenses over the season.

I have selectively quoted you but... LOL. I don't think that is why he signed for us at all.

From Wiki and some other news sites: "In April 2013, Stevenson was banned from driving for a period of 20 months". So he can drive from October. Doubt he would sign his career for 2-3 years based on a few months of commuting, especially when he just played/trained in Edinburgh for a year.

PS. For what it's worth, I agree with you with regards to where this extra cash available is, we were told we can now compete with many other Premiership clubs.

Edited by mhs

Archie's comments suggest that we are not offering big enough wages but we can't expect the Directors to fund operating losses personally.

The last game defeat at home to County was very costly last season. If we had finished 7th, the manager could have had around £200k more to spend.

We are probably budgeting to finish 10th again. There's no point on wasting money on players that will not improve the squad.

I'm unsure as to how much money the current BoD have/are invested/investing in the club.

We know that the Weirs are financing the youth side of things.

Kids were asked to pay for ST reservations this year & our own STs jumped by about £30.

Quite angry to read the manager's comments that we've missed out on so many targets as, has many have said on this thread, I'm sure they'll find out before hand as to whether the players concerned are outwith our wage demand.

Stevenson has been a great signing but let's be honest, the only reason we got him was because of his driving ban and the fact that he lives a short taxi journey from both the ground and the new training facility. The drop in wages was acceptable based on the money he would save on travel expenses over the season. That's not to say he wants to be a Thistle player and will give us his all.

When did he move house, up to Glasgow?

Not sure but it's my understanding he lives out the back of Drumchapel in the new estate at the Boulevard.

I'm just pointing out that we were possibly extremely fortunate that some of his personal circumstances swayed him to Firhill. Because evidently we are being more frugal than other clubs when it comes to wages and contracts. It was common knowledge in the mdeia that Hearts had wanted him to take an overall 75% wage cut, which, with him being unable to drive at the moment, would have been almost pointless for him at the minute. This was the only reason he left Hearts. He was open and honest about the fact that he wanted to stay and wanted to be part of their rise back to the SPL. Did an interview in The Scotsman I think it was.

I'm not sure if it was tongue in cheek, but he said when he signed for us, to a newspaper, that he wanted an extra 1000 a week from Dundee to cover taxi fares and they refused.

That whole ridiculous suggestion might have stood up to scrutiny a little better hadn't Stevenson signed for two, potentially three, years. It also falls down on the fact that he was banned in April last year before he agreed to take a wage cut. The expense involved in commuting from bloody Glasgow to Edinburgh is being vastly exaggerated considering folk earning lesser amounts than a professional footballer manage it every day.

In fact, even if he had signed for that reason alone, so what?

Some folk haven't half gotten their knickers in a twist this summer.

Not sure but it's my understanding he lives out the back of Drumchapel in the new estate at the Boulevard.

I'm just pointing out that we were possibly extremely fortunate that some of his personal circumstances swayed him to Firhill. Because evidently we are being more frugal than other clubs when it comes to wages and contracts. It was common knowledge in the mdeia that Hearts had wanted him to take an overall 75% wage cut, which, with him being unable to drive at the moment, would have been almost pointless for him at the minute. This was the only reason he left Hearts. He was open and honest about the fact that he wanted to stay and wanted to be part of their rise back to the SPL. Did an interview in The Scotsman I think it was.

I'm not sure if it was tongue in cheek, but he said when he signed for us, to a newspaper, that he wanted an extra 1000 a week from Dundee to cover taxi fares and they refused.

Obviously I don't know Ryan Stevenson and haven't asked him personally why he signed for us, but i would imagine it has far more to do with the wages on offer from the various clubs being largely similar but the other clubs being unwilling to offer him the length of deal that we did than it does with him having a driving ban for a couple of months of the deal.

If the money is actually there for it, it's not unreasonable to keep an outside interest in Osborne. Given that Welsh really shouldn't be rushed back if at all possible, compared to this time last season we actually have far fewer stock central midfielders, albeit some were poor quality.

We had: Welsh, Bannigan, Fraser, Forbes, Osbourne, Kerr, Craigen, Murray - all were fit to play at the start of the season

Towards the end of last season we were working with an effective squad of: Bannigan, Fraser, Craigen, Buaben, Erksine, Moncur, none of which were injured for any long period.

Now we have: Bannigan (rumoured temp injured until some point in September), Welsh ("6 weeks", Fraser, Osman and Craigen

It may well be the case that we're looking to get lads like Wilson from the youth team more involved in the first-team, but you can see, looking at the numbers, why we might want an extra body in. It's true that Lawless, Elliott, Higginbotham and Stevenson can each drop back to a midfield berth if needs be, but we'd prefer to have them as part of a distinct group of wide or advanced strike-support rather than hold them for the fluid bank of 3 in front of the defence.

We could probably *get by* without bringing in another midfielder, but just because we haven't tied up a left back, a centre-back and another forward, doesn't mean we should therefore not keep an eye out for another digging midfielder as cover at least until Welsh is back if the price is right.

If the money is actually there for it, it's not unreasonable to keep an outside interest in Osborne. Given that Welsh really shouldn't be rushed back if at all possible, compared to this time last season we actually have far fewer stock central midfielders, albeit some were poor quality.

We had: Welsh, Bannigan, Fraser, Forbes, Osbourne, Kerr, Craigen, Murray - all were fit to play at the start of the season

Towards the end of last season we were working with an effective squad of: Bannigan, Fraser, Craigen, Buaben, Erksine, Moncur, none of which were injured for any long period.

Now we have: Bannigan (rumoured temp injured until some point in September), Welsh ("6 weeks", Fraser, Osman and Craigen

It may well be the case that we're looking to get lads like Wilson from the youth team more involved in the first-team, but you can see, looking at the numbers, why we might want an extra body in. It's true that Lawless, Elliott, Higginbotham and Stevenson can each drop back to a midfield berth if needs be, but we'd prefer to have them as part of a distinct group of wide or advanced strike-support rather than hold them for the fluid bank of 3 in front of the defence.

We could probably *get by* without bringing in another midfielder, but just because we haven't tied up a left back, a centre-back and another forward, doesn't mean we should therefore not keep an eye out for another digging midfielder as cover at least until Welsh is back if the price is right.

I am not too worried at the moment. Moncur, surprisingly, sat on the bench for most of his stay. Wilson is, rightly, getting opportunities to stake a claim for a centre midfield spot. McMillan or O'Donnell can play in midfield if necessary. A short-term loan or deal (Osbourne?) is another possibility. Erskine could be made available again but there may be better alternatives on the market.

It's not a ridiculous suggestion at all.

I was simply pointing out that perhaps geography among other things gave us a stroke of luck in signing Stevenson.

It's now "perhaps" why he signed. Could have swore you were asserting that it was the only reason earlier...

I wonder if we are looking at strikers and McFadden is only here for his training if we would look at Tony Watt. It maybe of course that he would be considered too much of a liability, there is potential talent there but would it be worth if the lad didnt get on well with his Manager in Belgium

eta - I didnt realise he had signed a 5 year deal in Belgium so I guess there is absolutely no chance

Edited by Third Lanark

I wonder if we are looking at strikers and McFadden is only here for his training if we would look at Tony Watt. It maybe of course that he would be considered too much of a liability, there is potential talent there but would it be worth if the lad didnt get on well with his Manager in Belgium

Just signed a 5 year deal with them. I think they probably liked him :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/28537098

Edited by mhs