Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

When the manager set the "we need 5/6 players target," we had both Muirhead and O'Donnel recovering from injuries. I think it's reasonably safe to assume that they are match fit, if not nearly there.

We have signed Stevenson and Osman. The signing of Stevenson gives cover and flexibility up front. So you could argue that we are better off there. The signing of Osman gives us much needed strength in midfield and will also help the defence. The two goalkeeper positions are sorted.

So really we are a centre half and a full back short of a fairly decent outfit.

So i guess fans have a "right" to be concerned but it looks more like hysteria from where i am sitting.

We need much more than a centre-half and a full back to be a decent outfit that can compete effectively. Your "in the know" comment suggests that last year's under 20s, with hardly any Premiership experience, will be core members of this season's squad. If that is the case, it is not hysteria to express concern so close to the start of the season. The league will probably be very tight again and, as last season proved, every point will be precious. Starting the season with an under-strength squad could be very costly.

Edited by kni

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you suggesting that left backs line up in order of their own estimation of their own importance for consideration of joining PTFC?

It was in reply to someone saying that we have to wait until other clubs sign players before they move others out.

We have not been able to attract the players we wanted. The manager has confirmed this. I don't see what is wrong with the fans then conveying disappointment about this.

I defy anyone to tell me that our current squad is stronger than the squad we finished last season with.

I'm sure Archie could go and sign a few players if he wanted - such as Barr and Mustoe. But what if he wants better than Barr and Mustoe? What if he feels that he'd prefer to play Lindsay and Keenan than sign Barr and Mustoe, if he can't get better players in?

I'd much rather see us hold out to sign players that would actually improve the squad rather than sign dross. And I'd rather see us give our youngsters a chance than sign dross. Yet it appears most people on here would rather we signed dross just so we had made a few signings. Mental.

I agree with you to an extent. Our young boys need game time through this season as opposed to be thrown in.

Lindsay & Keenan along with Duggan are 3 I'd hope to see more of this season. However, all are unproven at the top level & haven't had a lot of game time at 1st team at a lower level.

Edited by Trotter

Hi - I have kind of lost touch with some of the coming and goings in the past 3 months or so - can anybody tell me what happened to the injured Isaac Osborne please? is he still at the club, or not ?

apparently Archie was keeping tabs on his fitness but we've heard nothing since. with us signing Osman I can't see Ozzy returning.

• Like 1

apparently Archie was keeping tabs on his fitness but we've heard nothing since. with us signing Osman I can't see Ozzy returning.

There was a report that Osbourne is training with Coventry City again.

Edited by kni

I defy anyone to tell me that our current squad is stronger than the squad we finished last season with.

That is clear for everyone to see. Without counting we have lost around 8 first team regulars from last season and brought in TWO. Sorry but anyone that isn't concerned by that fact, with the season just over a week away, is living in cloud cuckoo land. We had a small squad last season in comparison to most other clubs. Yes I expect players to come in, but as it stands just now, it is worrying.....but not to the extent of knicker wetting.....at the moment, lol

That is clear for everyone to see. Without counting we have lost around 8 first team regulars from last season and brought in TWO. Sorry but anyone that isn't concerned by that fact, with the season just over a week away, is living in cloud cuckoo land. We had a small squad last season in comparison to most other clubs. Yes I expect players to come in, but as it stands just now, it is worrying.....but not to the extent of knicker wetting.....at the moment, lol

Completely agree with these sentiments.

We are weaker than the team which finished the season which just about scraped 10th but to me, more worryingly, we are also potentially weaker than the team from earlier in the season which would have almost certainly finished in playoff positions had reinforcements not arrived.

I know we will make signings, whether they are the quality or quantity we need is another matter.

I really expected us to push on this preseason with all the chat coming from Beattie and Paterson so to be where we are now is underwhelming and worrying

Some good points of views on both sides of the argument. For those that have concerns over the lack of action in signings and criticisms of Maxi and Beattie over what they have been saying but not doing have they sent any emails to these individuals and if so what kind of response have they given? As for all the well put arguments on both sides the likes of these guys will never be on the forum so would be interesting to note any points put direct to the bod regarding these concerns

And just to ensure I don't get pulled up for not having an opinion, pleased we haven't dived in for mince, a bit concerned that we haven't got "our men". I assume we will be busy this week, and we still have time. However, in terms of bedding in there could be an issue. Delighted we didn't touch Magnay.

To move the thread away from just the wringing of hands, P&B (yes, I know...) have us in for a Northern Irish player currently with Watford, probably on loan. Josh Doherty 18 year old left back is being suggested.

The Twitter rumour on P&B is an Irish defender so it could be Tommie Hoban who had a year out with an ankle injury.

Let's work with two hypothetical examples. Let's say we were after a player from Celtic on loan. Obviously the new manager there is going to wait before he gives the go ahead for that. If it's the right player, then we need to hang in there. That scenario is played out multiple times in the close season.

Then take the left back situation at Wigan. They have signed two left backs. In addition they still have the boy who was at the world cup. If he is the loan target then he's going to need a rest. Then the Wigan manager needs to decide who he is going with and who he is letting go. If he is letting someone go, then there will be a list of clubs interested. That again, takes time and is played out multiple times.

Clearly the signing of Stevenson gives us cover for Doolan and allows options with Higgy. Some people just don't seem to see that?

I can't think of a single available player that went to a Scottish club this close season, that falls in to the category of us missing out. As MP says, the club were right to look at Barr. He has a wikipedia track record. Turns out that not one single Thistle fan that i know, who saw him play, felt he was the man for us.

The only real disappointment was missing out on Lyle Taylor. The guy wants to prove himself in England.Nothing we could do. If that doesn't work out, i'm sure we'll be chapping his door again.

Edited to Add the Irish boy/Watford story was on twitter at the weekend. Some random spoke to a boy in a taxi queue who said he was signing for Thistle.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 1

Some good points of views on both sides of the argument. For those that have concerns over the lack of action in signings and criticisms of Maxi and Beattie over what they have been saying but not doing have they sent any emails to these individuals and if so what kind of response have they given? As for all the well put arguments on both sides the likes of these guys will never be on the forum so would be interesting to note any points put direct to the bod regarding these concerns

I have spoken with Ian Maxwell (after more or less refusing to speak with the young girl in the office) over my concerns previously with my seat & hospitality. Assured on more than one occasion it wouldn't happen again.

Guess what....?

Not blaming him personally as he's just one cog in the wheel but behind the scenes with other things (rather than transfer dealings) has been a shambles. Why should we expect them to be any different?

Completely agree with these sentiments.

We are weaker than the team which finished the season which just about scraped 10th but to me, more worryingly, we are also potentially weaker than the team from earlier in the season which would have almost certainly finished in playoff positions had reinforcements not arrived.

I know we will make signings, whether they are the quality or quantity we need is another matter.

I really expected us to push on this preseason with all the chat coming from Beattie and Paterson so to be where we are now is underwhelming and worrying

Absolutely correct.....this squad is not good or deep enough