Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I'm not too bothered about Erskine.

Higgy, Stevenson, Lawless, Elliot and Craigan can all fill that role to an extent. Erskine is not exactly the most versatile player either. The guy is still a bit of a hero/legend but not sure he adds much to our team.

I noticed Ratnamara has played him pre-season and he did score at least once so maybe he is getting a chance there anyway.

I'd like to see Erskine back but agree it wouldn't be a priority. Anyone that did what he did two seasons ago should be at least a very worthwhile squad player/impact sub. His link up play with Doolan was regularly excellent. I also think it would be the right move for the player and that usually results in a mutual benefit.

Why? 28 years old, much more SPL experience than any of our players, and has marshalled the County defence on several of those occasions when we failed miserably to break them down.

I genuinley think he is a bang average 1st division footballer and I've always thought he was the weak link that Ross County side. He's slow and un-comfortable in posession and thats definetly not what we need.

I genuinley think he is a bang average 1st division footballer and I've always thought he was the weak link that Ross County side. He's slow and un-comfortable in posession and thats definetly not what we need.

Imagine a back pairing of Scott Boyd and Gabby...

A lot of that could be true but Scott Boyd has done himself proud. By all probability his career should've gone backwards after his spell with us. A young player effectively on his own in terms of development at Firhill, as indeed were our then youth players under (forgive the oxymoron) the tutelage of Dick Campbell.

If indeed Boyd's faults are as you say then he must be a strong willed individual especially when you factor in his arse of a manager and him even having to play alongside Alex Keddie for a spell. Personally I don't think he can be as poor as you say plus I've seen him play well up in Dingwall on a few occasions. Agree tho', even if he was available, he's not the centre half we should be looking at.

• Like 4

Having read what Archie wrote in the match program against Sunderland and his recent comments, I have to admit I am now a little less concerned than I was. It is clear he is looking for a better quality of player, and isn’t resigned to just buying rotational squad player to pad out the team. He’s still at least three or four short, and nobody knows this more than Archie, but if he’s able to bring in two players next week, and perhaps another one or two after that season gets underway, I think we will be okay. Let’s not forget that Ozzy and Higgy were both signed after the season started last term, and many players wait until the season kicks off before making decisions on their futures.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

It may sound strange, but if players are knocking us back (ie. Not the players who have been on trial with us), it would suggest we are at least targeting players who are of a sufficient quality that they would see us as too much of a step down.

As far as I know, the budget has been increased this season, or at least that was what Beattie has said. I think it is simply a matter of the players not being entirely up to scratch or wanting too much in wages.

Osman wasn't a trialist. He was a target. I wish people would do even the most basic of reading/research. I'm embarrassed for them.

Try reading this.

Evening Times - "Osman was one of six trialists boss Alan Archibald cast his eye over during the 1-1 draw with Dumbarton on Saturday and has now been handed a deal at Firhill to become the second new arrival of the summer following the capture of Ryan Stevenson last month."

STV - "The Ghanaian midfielder impressed while on trial with the Firhill men, playing in the friendly match with Dumbarton at the weekend."

The Scotsman- "The Ghanaian midfielder played on trial for the Firhill team in a 1-1 draw with Dumbarton in their friendly match on Saturday, impressing manager Alan Archibald with his performance."

Were they all wrong?

I'm embarrassed for you as you continue to pretend that you have inside knowledge.

Pathetic!

Edited by kni
  • Like 3