Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

As was pointed out previously, many of us unhappy at the club/BoD.

If the manager has identified targets within the price range of which has been set by the BoD & 9/10+ have refused to come to the club then I'd suggest we've either been mugged off by agents or not paying as much as has been promised.

We'll never know unless those ITK can shed light on it?

I think Carroll has the potential to be a very good signing from what I've read about him.

Ecclestone? Well I'll reserve judgement for a while. If we were interested in him at the start of the window then I'm sure we'd have had him in the door before now but again I don't think he was anywhere near the manager's first choice -once Taylor out the running.

You're saying about the manager deserving better. Do you not think the fans who were asked to put their hard earned money into the club early by the BoD to get players targeted by the manager in the door early also deserve better?

Or...he was looking for a club down south but hasn't found one, like Osbourne last year.

The point here is that no-one had a right to be critical until the window closed IMO. Archie deserved at least that. In fact, I reckon he deserved better than that.

no one has a right to be critical ? , first of all we knew Sincy was leaving at least 9 months ago , we've now signed a left back on loan till January . Jake Carroll might turn out to be a great player for us but the way it looks just now it's only a stop gap as chances are in January we might have to start the same process again , we had 4 centre backs last year , we're now down to 3 and having watched the last 2 games the jury's out on 2 of them. Supporters have a right to criticise as long as it's pertinent .

no one has a right to be critical ? , first of all we knew Sincy was leaving at least 9 months ago , we've now signed a left back on loan till January . Jake Carroll might turn out to be a great player for us but the way it looks just now it's only a stop gap as chances are in January we might have to start the same process again , we had 4 centre backs last year , we're now down to 3 and having watched the last 2 games the jury's out on 2 of them. Supporters have a right to criticise as long as it's pertinent .

The "we knew sincy was leaving 9 months ago" line is irrelevant. Like has been said many times, over and over. Almost all our signings are going to be free agents/loan signings. 9 months ago there was absolutely no way of knowing what players are going to be available. There's no point in finding a guy we'd like to replace ATS who has 3 years left on his contract because we're never going to get him.

• Like 1

Also at the risk of sending some into convulsions, I heard last night that Muirhead was offered to Hamilton two weeks ago. Presumably asa make-weight in a deal to sign whoever Archie had been scouting there last season. Gordon?

Stephen Kingsley on loan from Swansea is this mornings's tweeted rumour.

I can confirm that a replacement for ATS will be signed today. About two hours ago. You're welcome,

1) Absolute rubbish

2) Absolute rubbish

3) Nice to give us inside info when it's out in the domain 2 hours earlier. Still , we all love people on the INSIDE!

Edited by Lindau

Maybe a stop gap left back is all we need just now, if Keenan can be developed and/or MacMillan takes over that position. Another possibility is that Huddersfield are hedging their bets to see how they get on in the 1st half of the season and if it works out for them, then Carroll may become available to sign permanently(if we want him).

I don't really understand why you are so down on loan players anyway - Taylor was a loan player.

I presume in the 4 you are including Mair who didn't arrive until January? And also excluding Lindsay who I guess we will want to introduce at some point during the season. And excluding BRE who is due to come back in Jan.

You can be critical all you like, but not to give guys a chance is just ridiculous.

The "we knew sincy was leaving 9 months ago" line is irrelevant. Like has been said many times, over and over. Almost all our signings are going to be free agents/loan signings.

Free agents as in coming to the end if their contract & looking for pastures new?

Free agents like Paton, Erskine & possibly even ATS himself who 'signed' for other clubs whilst still with us you mean?

& just to be clear, once again, this isn't being critical of the manager. The BoD are culpable if they have been unable to bring in the number if players that the manager himself has suggested.

Or...he was looking for a club down south but hasn't found one, like Osbourne last year.

Difference being Osbourne had played up here & said about family reasons for wanting to move back South.

Quality player as he was last season, I think many are reluctant to take him on due to injuries.

The way you put it with Ecclestone you could also say he's up here as a last resort. Young man with no family ties to speak of as far as I'm aware.

As I said not knocking him, jury's out. He could be next Billy Mackay for all we know.

Do you not think the fans who were asked to put their hard earned money into the club early by the BoD to get players targeted by the manager in the door early also deserve better?

Not really answering the question as such but the BoD are the same BoD that launched TAG or didn't launch TAG whatever way you look at it. In addition they've dithered about/reversed various decisions over fans seating (North Stand debacles & other kids go free related issues). A previous summer we had all that sevco back pedaling, which again would have bearing on ST sales.

So it shouldn't really surprise anyone if they feel that the BoD have misled them yet again this summer. It's what they do. Oh and they can't even run a raffle on time.

• Like 4

Free agents as in coming to the end if their contract & looking for pastures new?

Free agents like Paton, Erskine & possibly even ATS himself who 'signed' for other clubs whilst still with us you mean?

& just to be clear, once again, this isn't being critical of the manager. The BoD are culpable if they have been unable to bring in the number if players that the manager himself has suggested.

All these players moved onto "bigger clubs" on either way more money or better terms I.e longer deals. We're unlikely to be able to offer any players with 9 months left on their contract the kind of money that's going to make them sign a pre-contract with us when they don't even know what league we'll be playing in. Obviously they're going to wait till this window to see what else they can get.

• Like 1

Why?

.....make them sign a pre-contract with us when they don't even know what league we'll be playing in.

So by your thinking (& please understand it's not a dig, merely playing devils advocate) we'll go through this every Summer?

We can't offer players deals long enough or with enough money therefore they leave us.

We can't offer players pre- contracts as we don't know what league we'll be in.

Therefore every Summer we'll see a high turnover of players with replacements not being able to be signed until the end of August when we are their last resort/they are our last resort?

What happened to 'Together we can build this'? Doesn't sound like we're doing much building if your thinking correct.

Why?

As I said to Andy above, they are the ones holding the purse strings & signing off players.

The manager has 3 targets lined up for each position we want to fill. They've been scouted & I'm assuming contact made to find out if they're in our price range.

Now, if it's attracting players from down South up here & every single one if them has refused to up sticks & come North I'd be very surprised.

Some will certainly but all of them?

So why then has the manager missed out on so many?

He's done his part of the job.

Not really answering the question as such but the BoD are the same BoD that launched TAG or didn't launch TAG whatever way you look at it. In addition they've dithered about/reversed various decisions over fans seating (North Stand debacles & other kids go free related issues). A previous summer we had all that sevco back pedaling, which again would have bearing on ST sales.

So it shouldn't really surprise anyone if they feel that the BoD have misled them yet again this summer. It's what they do. Oh and they can't even run a raffle on time.

They've also overseen arguably the most successful period for twenty years, but that's probably just luck I suppose.

They've also overseen arguably the most successful period for twenty years, but that's probably just luck I suppose.

On the park you are probably right, but behind the scenes if you've ever dealt with the club at any level questions are inevitably raised, same as players stepping up to a higher level maybe it's time for the people behind the scenes to raise their game as well.

But is it about "people stepping up"? I imagine they're doing their best. Or in reality would a more professional operation not require investment, additional staff etc? And if so, would fans be universally happy to see the money being spent here rather than on the playing squad?

But is it about "people stepping up"? I imagine they're doing their best. Or in reality would a more professional operation not require investment, additional staff etc? And if so, would fans be universally happy to see the money being spent here rather than on the playing squad?

Correct me if I'm wrong but until recently did we not have the stewarding provided by a company owned by one of the directors?

Surely as an SPFL we should have a more professional operation? That in turn could lead to more income for the club.

I know there are a lot of volunteers who work tirelessly for the club in their spare time but surely that statement tells you everything - "spare time".

Did we ever replace Michelle Evans?

& no offence to Ian Maxwell but what qualifications did he have for the job he's doing? By his own admission, none. He's learning on the job. That in turn may cost the club money in terms of mistakes made.

& then there's good old PropCo...

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

Surely as an SPFL we should have a more professional operation? That in turn could lead to more income for the club.

I do get this argument, and don't entirely disagree. But Scottish football is a very risky business, and expanding the operation wouldn't necessarily bring immediate rewards. If we invested and then got relegated as a result then the board would be hammered. I'm not saying they're getting everything right. I'm just saying that it's a tricky balance and I'm less inclined than others to jump on every error.

I do get this argument, and don't entirely disagree. But Scottish football is a very risky business, and expanding the operation wouldn't necessarily bring immediate rewards. If we invested and then got relegated as a result then the board would be hammered. I'm not saying they're getting everything right. I'm just saying that it's a tricky balance and I'm less inclined than others to jump on every error.

I do see it from this point of view but football only part of the business we could attract.

It's the operation 'off the pitch' that could be a potential income stream for the club which in turn would help the 'on the pitch' side of the club.

I do see it from this point of view but football only part of the business we could attract.

It's the operation 'off the pitch' that could be a potential income stream for the club which in turn would help the 'on the pitch' side of the club.

Like refurbishing the Aitken suite and hiring out for functions for example ?

Like refurbishing the Aitken suite and hiring out for functions for example ?

Absolutely. But how much money has been wasted until now?

I think the suggestion has been mooted for years & more so since Beattie & co came in but only been done this year.

It didn't matter what league we were in, the functions aren't affected by that.

I've regularly attended work things in STUC building at Woodlands as well as courses in one of the suites at Celtic Park (with no catering provided in either venue I should add) & neither are any bigger that the Aitken Suite.

Missed opportunity for potential income over a number of years which could have been of major benefit on field.