Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I don't care who DP and LSR really are they seem to know what's going on and that's fine by me. As a very occasional poster but regular reader on here kni's posts intrigue me. I wonder what his/her occupation is, retired circus performer/rodeo rider I think not maybe an accountant or a librarian? What does everyone else think? Trivia I know but i think we should be told

/\ Me too.

I like the song by the Smith's, there is a light and it never goes out

But whenever I read posts on here, some posters appear to fall into the there is a light and it never goes on category.

One thing to add on scouting network. I know for a fact that Archie and his coaching team watch hours of footage of potentials sent to them by agents. My knowledge is limited but what I do know, is that the current staff at Partick Thistle football club are putting in more hours then any normal person would even contemplate.

Cut them some slack. Til the next transfer window. Then you can start all over again.

One thing to add on scouting network. I know for a fact that Archie and his coaching team watch hours of footage of potentials sent to them by agents. My knowledge is limited but what I do know, is that the current staff at Partick Thistle football club are putting in more hours then any normal person would even contemplate.

Cut them some slack. Til the next transfer window. Then you can start all over again.

Not trying to score points but watching DVDs of a players good games hardly constitutes a scouting network , not Archie's fault at all as he's only playing with the cards he's been given . The supporters had every reason to be concerned about the lack of signings , the first 3 games we've managed 4 points from a total of 9 , maybe if we had made the signings earlier that total would have been higher. Hopefully the new signings will strengthen the team and we'll kick on .
  • Like 1

So what does constitute a good scouting network for a club with 3000 fans. I genuinely interested to hear who that works.

Our average crowds were 4800 last season , do you think guys like Bobby Dinnie we're getting huge amounts of money ( they weren't ) but guys like Bobby Dinnie had contacts all over the country , whether it was Junior football where we got Dools and Erskine or down South where some of the scouts get small retainers for recommending players . Was Bobby Dinnie ever replaced ? , it shouldn't cost a fortune for a scouting network but you would have to have someone actually heading it .

The club has Martin Hardie scouting future opposition according to the man himself on the radio last week and that wasn't mentioned by the club at all in any official capacity. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the club now also have people looking at potential signings without fans knowing about it.

Although I don't really see what difference it would make if we signed the likes of Seaborne for example on the recommendation of Pressley to Archie rather than us having sent someone down to watch him play for the team Pressley manages.

The club has Martin Hardie scouting future opposition according to the man himself on the radio last week and that wasn't mentioned by the club at all in any official capacity. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the club now also have people looking at potential signings without fans knowing about it.

Although I don't really see what difference it would make if we signed the likes of Seaborne for example on the recommendation of Pressley to Archie rather than us having sent someone down to watch him play for the team Pressley manages.

I would rather have a chief scout watch a player 5/6 times than take a recommendation from Pressley for a player who couldn't get in his team .

How would you do it then ?

Most likely the way we appear to be doing things just now. Recommendations, contacts etc. As I see it the hardest task is not identifying players, it's convincing them to sign on.

I would agree tho' that appointing a head scout would make sense. If only someone to collate whatever unofficial network we have (every club has some semblance of one).

So back to my original point. How did we sign all these players from England? Maybe Kni has been googling and emailing Archie Wikipedia links?

Nope. I've just recommended players that are free agents and that I've seen play over the last couple of seasons.

Which one of our recent signings have you seen? Or is the unwise Red Monkey full of self-righteous crap as usual?

Nope. I've just recommended players that are free agents and that I've seen play over the last couple of seasons.

Which one of our recent signings have you seen? Or is the unwise Red Monkey full of self-righteous crap as usual?

You've seen all the free agent players you've mentioned playing over the last couple of seasons?

As a long-time reader of this forum, I feel compelled to post for the first time to point out the hilarious irony of the bit on bold. Thank you for keeping me entertained with the utter drivel you post, though.

Pete O'Rourke of Sky Sports, who correctly predicted we'd sign BRE and Seaborne ahead of anyone else, says we've signed Nathan Eccleston.

From a quick scan it seems fans of previous clubs think he'd be a great player if he could finish. I think he's worth the risk. Archie's used the English market very well.

Canny wait til it's official! My thoughts from another thread.....

With 6 goals in 60 career games he should be good for at least 3 goals come May. With Archie never playing 2 strikers and Archie's 1st and 2nd picks being Doolan/Stevenson I boldly predict 1 goal for Eccleston and a free transfer in May 2015.

We've got the players, so what can we moan about now?

Ah, the scouting system...

I think Archie needs all the tools for the job and a scouting network is one of those tools, Archie has the potential to out do Lambie and be looked on in the same light as Macparland or Husband , the fans (most of them) see this potential and want to see the club allow him to go to the next level, as someone said Hardie appears to be scouting opposition teams so maybe we are scouting in stealth without making a song and dance about it

I hope people realise there are people who have been concerned about our transfer dealings this window who aren't complete roasters like kni.

I have been pretty critical of this summer and made clear that I thought we had a weaker squad than that which ended the season. I still happen to believe that and it won't be until I see the new guys perform more that I change my opinion. I am not anti-Archie in the slightest and believe the last three years have been the best for a Jags fan for many years. I think my disappointment at this summer shows just how far we have come that we shouldn't settle with poor players with even poorer attitudes which have plagued us in the past.

Fingers crossed Carroll and Eccelstone are on par with ATS and Taylor and that Seaborne, Osman and Stevo continue to impress.

• Like 1

The point here is that no-one had a right to be critical until the window closed IMO. Archie deserved at least that. In fact, I reckon he deserved better than that.

As was pointed out previously, many of us unhappy at the club/BoD.

If the manager has identified targets within the price range of which has been set by the BoD & 9/10+ have refused to come to the club then I'd suggest we've either been mugged off by agents or not paying as much as has been promised.

We'll never know unless those ITK can shed light on it?

I think Carroll has the potential to be a very good signing from what I've read about him.

Ecclestone? Well I'll reserve judgement for a while. If we were interested in him at the start of the window then I'm sure we'd have had him in the door before now but again I don't think he was anywhere near the manager's first choice -once Taylor out the running.

You're saying about the manager deserving better. Do you not think the fans who were asked to put their hard earned money into the club early by the BoD to get players targeted by the manager in the door early also deserve better?

The best of times

First time poster. I think this could be the best team I have seen since a Ronnie Glavin brace beat celtic 2-0.

There may have been teams harder to beat, but the style this current team play make them the best I can remember. Enjoy them while we can. And remember, Archie may not know a lot about management yet, but like Bannigan, Frassr and O'Donnell, he is improving with experience. But he knows how a team should play football. He will be in demand for bigger jobs this year. These are the best of times for Thistle, but we always want more.

• Like 1