Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

i can say without a doubt outside of Celtic I believe we now have one the strongest midfields in the league.. However its not the area that needed strengthened..

Its all well and good having an amazing midfield.. pretty crap when your defense is understaffed and we aren't starting with a striker

fair enough.. midfield has been bolstered

lack of foresight has left us completely inadequate in other areas.

I realize your trying to make a point but really.. our midfield was strong last year its strong this year.. the areas that needed work have had almost no help.

3 more days..

fair enough..

Glad we got there in the end.

The midfield may have been strong last season, but that included Osbourne, Erskine and Buaben at one stage or another. It's been strengthened during the summer.

Sure, people are frustrated that other deficiencies haven't been addressed - although Seabourne looks better than Mair in my opinion, so it's not as simple as one out and one in - and I'm beginning to feel as anxious as others. However, to suggest that there has been no evidence of strengthening over the summer, as jlsarmy did is...horse cack.

Edited by Dark Passenger

Think I've seen it mentioned a few times on this thread about it not necessarily being Archibald's fault.

Time for BoD to step up & put an extra few quid in the pot? After all I'd imagine they've saved a few quid on wages from start of Summer.

I see we've gone from 'three' on Peter & Roughies show last week to a couple today.

I'd argue we've only brought 3 in (at the moment) as we've sent the other one out on loan for half the year.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, comment that Archie isn't trying a leg. Tbh my main gripe is probably with the board. We had the Beattie interview on STV just after we beat Hearts where he said that next years budget would increase and that we could compete with most teams in the league, wages wise and that Lyle Taylor was a top target and even his wages wouldn't be a problem as he was exactly the type of player we were trying to tempt to come to Firhill. That clearly hasn't been the case, given that it's been pretty clear how frustrated Archie sounds as he has tried to get guys in, but it looks like the wages on offer are a major stumbling block. Our target area should be the lower English leagues but even down there the wages are frightening, so there is no easy solution. All us fans know, is that we desperately need players in before that window closes on Monday!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Lyle Taylor WAS a top target. What are we going to do? FORCE him to sign? Since day one, I've said the same thing. Keep calm deals are ongoing. It'll go to the wire. It always does.

Did we not have a back up in mind just in case? Or for left back or another CH seeing as we released Gabby and we only have 3

Tbf people have made suggestions on players only to be mocked by a certain poster claiming all they know is through FIFA and Wikipedia.

One thing to note is, so far to my knowledge Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Ross County and Dundee have all made left back signings so there are clearly options out there. Not making any claims on their quality.

We are right now a weaker squad than the one which finished last year in 10th.

I agree we are weaker and I know other clubs have signed left backs - but I think that quality is the important factor in all this.

Lyle Taylor WAS a top target. What are we going to do? FORCE him to sign? Since day one, I've said the same thing. Keep calm deals are ongoing. It'll go to the wire. It always does.

Not sure what the capitals are about but even us, not in the know, unlike yourself, know the story about Taylor. The point I was trying to make was that Beattie was insinuating that with us staying up we would definitely be able to attract better players to Firhill, on good wages, even Scott Paterson stated the same. That clearly hasn't been the case as Archie has made it clear that most of our main targets have went elsewhere. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming the players we targeted were thought of by the club as attainable and within our wage bracket, so how come we have missed out on most of our targets. Can only assume our wages, even with an increase in the budget, are seen to be one of the lowest in the league. I have sympathy with Archie as it's clear he has had players in mind, but for one reason or another they have went elsewhere. Pretty sure it's our wage structure. It's a hard one to call as no one wants a repeat of the late 90s, but then again we want to cement our place in the top league. Let's just hope Archie can get another 2/3 in before the door slams shut

Not sure what the capitals are about but even us, not in the know, unlike yourself, know the story about Taylor. The point I was trying to make was that Beattie was insinuating that with us staying up we would definitely be able to attract better players to Firhill, on good wages, even Scott Paterson stated the same. That clearly hasn't been the case as Archie has made it clear that most of our main targets have went elsewhere. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming the players we targeted were thought of by the club as attainable and within our wage bracket, so how come we have missed out on most of our targets. Can only assume our wages, even with an increase in the budget, are seen to be one of the lowest in the league. I have sympathy with Archie as it's clear he has had players in mind, but for one reason or another they have went elsewhere. Pretty sure it's our wage structure. It's a hard one to call as no one wants a repeat of the late 90s, but then again we want to cement our place in the top league. Let's just hope Archie can get another 2/3 in before the door slams shut

The actual players might not fancy playing for us especially from down south were they hardly know heehaw bout scottish game. I read archie say it takes a bit of selling to make them come up here...

What's difficult to understand here? The Lyle Taylor situation is the perfect example.

The chairman gives the manager an increased budget. This allows us to sign Taylor permanently because we can agree a fee with Sheffield Utd. The manager makes Taylor his top target. The chief exec makes taylor an offer. Taylor is mulling it over. In comes a former coach of his . Scunthorpe give him a better offer AND the opportunity to play in England. That's replicated a number of times over with different players

It doesn't matter how many targets you have, you either wait it out. Or sign inferior players.

What's difficult to understand here? The Lyle Taylor situation is the perfect example.

The chairman gives the manager an increased budget. This allows us to sign Taylor permanently because we can agree a fee with Sheffield Utd. The manager makes Taylor his top target. The chief exec makes taylor an offer. Taylor is mulling it over. In comes a former coach of his . Scunthorpe give him a better offer AND the opportunity to play in England. That's replicated a number of times over with different players

It doesn't matter how many targets you have, you either wait it out. Or sign inferior players.

And you know the offer was better how?

Sorry not in the inner sanctum like yourself

Was I?

So, we haven't brought in a left-sided centre back? We haven't signed a holding midfielder? The Stevenson signing was a figment of my imagination?

I thought that was evidence of Archie strengthening the side.

Does strengthening not mean better than we already have or had . You could argue Osman and Osbourne are more or less like for like, is Seabourne that much better than Mair ? , time will tell on that one . At this moment is Stevenson better than Doolan as a lone striker ? , is he better than Banzo in the centre of midfield ? . Paterson and Beattie both made soundbytes about strengthening the team so we didn't end up in a relegation battle like last year, so far that hasn't happened but we've still 3 days to go .