Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Taken from P&B

Archie on Peter and Roughie's football show there said we need 3 more players.

His exact word were - "I think we're 3 short at least without a doubt, I think the full back area we've not covered and also Jordan McMillan got injured last week which hasn't helped that. So the full back area, up top and maybe another midfielder as well"

There is a repeat on at 11.00pm. Surprised he thinks we need another midfielder, but in Archie we trust. Can't moan about any of his moves in the window so far!

Edited by Lindau

Surprised he thinks we need another midfielder, but in Archie we trust. Can't moan about any of his moves in the window so far!

For me that would be the 3rd priority in that list of 3, but I reckon we could ideally use some cover in the wide positions.

I agree regarding the midfielder, our starting 3 of bannigan fraser and osman, yeh thats fine to start, but one of them gets injured we don't really have anyone to come in do we? Craigans a nice wee player but I think we could do better as a back up.

As Lindau said, in Archie we trust, but I personally would've been happy to gamble on Ozzy again, not a bad standard of back up, if (and thats a big if) we keep him fit. You can't have too many good central midfielders, wouldn't mind a wee stockpile of 4 quality central mids.

What's all this obsession with Welsh's injury about? Whether it's six days, six weeks or six months he's a Jags player who got injured playing for us. He didn't fall down a mountain. If the guy had done his cruciate or had a multiple fracture last November would you still be making sly digs that the Club's somehow carrying him?

• Like 3

What's all this obsession with Welsh's injury about? Whether it's six days, six weeks or six months he's a Jags player who got injured playing for us. He didn't fall down a mountain. If the guy had done his cruciate or had a multiple fracture last November would you still be making sly digs that the Club's somehow carrying him?

Lighten up LIB, it was intended as a joke!! Not a dig at the club in any form.

I for one will be very happy to see Sean back in the team - he's an excellent midfielder.

I'm still (slightly) interested in a constructive reply to a question I posed for you in the English football thread if you'd care to post there?

If you want to.

Point taken, I never returned to that thread, I said it tongue in cheek, as at first reading, I thought comparing a drink driver to a rapist was a bit over the top.

On reading again I retract my statement I'm respect to anyone affected by the actions of selfish drunken drivers and the hurt and damage they cause.

Accept my apologies.

Someone on Twitter who is in the Ambassadors Group has said there is a trialist coming in Monday from abroad. Unsure who or position.

Assuming it's true, does it not worry you that we're still getting players in on trial despite every league in Europe now having started?

I doubt somehow this guy & his agent been turning down offers all Summer to wait & see if we come in.

Serious question, who is in charge of recruitment as whoever it is should be shown the door if they don't come up trumps in the next week.

If we have continually missed out on targets, as the manager has suggested, then there has to be some sort of inquiry.

To miss out on one or two is part of the game but to miss out on as many as we have it seems is unacceptable.

Trialists at the end of August... It's last season all over agin when we were told we could sign a striker free agent after the window shut. If they haven't got a club by now, I dread to think!!!

• Like 1

I'm in no way happy with our recruitment policy over the summer but I do have to point out that we were screwed over last August as the Scottish transfer window closed on 31st August but the English one (and Europe wide) was 2 days later on 2nd September to accommodate the Sevco signing ban, which meant we missed out on Farid el Alagui amongst other folk.

The pressure is on though, we've known we need a left back since (at least) Christmas last year. Wondering if Archie's comments are hinting that we won't see Welsh again, ever.

Someone on Twitter who is in the Ambassadors Group has said there is a trialist coming in Monday from abroad. Unsure who or position.

Assuming it's true, does it not worry you that we're still getting players in on trial despite every league in Europe now having started?

I doubt somehow this guy & his agent been turning down offers all Summer to wait & see if we come in.

Serious question, who is in charge of recruitment as whoever it is should be shown the door if they don't come up trumps in the next week.

If we have continually missed out on targets, as the manager has suggested, then there has to be some sort of inquiry.

To miss out on one or two is part of the game but to miss out on as many as we have it seems is unacceptable.

Trialists at the end of August... It's last season all over agin when we were told we could sign a striker free agent after the window shut. If they haven't got a club by now, I dread to think!!!

Don't a lot of free agents wait till the last minute to see what's the best deal they get offered? They're not going to jump in and sign for us if they feel they could get a better deal elsewhere, doesn't mean they're not worth going for.

We aren't the only team still bringing in trialist according to Tommy Wright on sport sound.

Seabourne, wow! Talk about giving someone a chance. Maybe you should start a seabourne out thread?

Also Balatoni had a decent game yesterday albeit apart from his part in the last goal.

3 games in and we have one poor performance, ever had a bad day at work yourself? Give the team a break and your support, still one of the best teams I've seen and we look capable of carving teams open at any time, it wasn't our day yesterday and I doubt any at the club are pleased with the result or performance..

Edited by sb1876

Seabourne, wow! Talk about giving someone a chance. Maybe you should start a seabourne out thread?

Also Balatoni had a decent game yesterday albeit apart from his part in the last goal.

3 games in and we have one poor performance, ever had a bad day at work yourself? Give the team a break and your support, still one of the best teams I've seen and we look capable of carving teams open at any time, it wasn't our day yesterday and I doubt any at the club are pleased with the result or performance..

My fault for not being clear....nothing against Seabourne .....my point was we are not strong enough overall in the defence as Z unit for the season ahead

Last 2 performances have shown we're well short defensively & up top.

We need a LB & CH cover (though with BRE having signed and loaned out I don't think we"ll get anyone else for CH).

Wide positions a concern. Lawless still too lightweight & bullied off the ball for me. Nothing changed from last year. An over reliance at times on Higgy to get decent deliveries into the box & when it's now working we turn to Christie Elliot.

Dools back & scoring last night a good sign but Stevenson isn't a centre forward- emergency yes- & shows we need back up in ASAP.

Realistically we're half a team away from challenging top 6. In my opinion we're as badly off as we were at end of last August transfer window. We might have had more players but they weren't of the standard required.

The manager saw that & shipped many of them out January & realise he's been trying to get better quality players in.

However he's not got as many in as he wanted by his own admission- so far.

So.... Come next 5 days. If we don't have the 3 quality additions that the manager has been vocal in the press about getting, who carries the can?

I realise this a question for after Monday but we're at the stage for a left back & striker that we were last year with a centre half & ended up giving Piccolo a 2 year deal as he was part of a defence that kept a clean sheet in a friendly.

Big 5 days coming up.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy
  • Like 1