Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I think he means bringing in another Lyle Taylor. Stevenson can do the strong man up front gig no bother but has no pace. So not much point bringing in an inferior "Kris Boyd" type. Taylor was strong, fast and mobile. Ideally someone like him. I emphasise the word "ideally".

I wonder if Higgy would work as a lone striker???

His effort and creativity is brilliant from the midfield/wing positions, I just think it could be interesting to see him as the main striker. Not a long term solution though as it could weaken the midfield/wing.

I am in agreement with, we need some more depth to our squad, but serious question.....after Wednesday night and that performance, if and I know it is a massive IF, but if they can keep that performance up, who do we drop.

If we get a striker and a left back, who do we drop from the starting line on Wednesday?

I am in agreement with, we need some more depth to our squad, but serious question.....after Wednesday night and that performance, if and I know it is a massive IF, but if they can keep that performance up, who do we drop.

If we get a striker and a left back, who do we drop from the starting line on Wednesday?

You don't need to drop anyone after a good performance, it's when there's a bad performance/injury/suspension that you need better alternatives. Stevenson wasn't effective against RC & if the chips are down he might look abit like he's not interested when playing up front as he's not the most mobile.

No one. If we were to add depth it would be just that, depth. Options off the bench to start with I'd imagine and then they'd get their chance in the case of injuries or suspensions, or when performances do drop. But initially at least, there would be no need to drop anyone.

ETA: I actually thought Stevenson was good on Wednesday, as his role clearly wasn't that of a conventional striker. Granted he was blowing out his arse by the end, but I thought that his dropping deeper actually brought other players into play very well and the county defence really didn't know how to handle it. Almost playing a false 9 role, by drawing the defenders onto him thus creating space for higgy and lawless to work with. Look at the 3rd goal for example, his dropping deep has brought the county defender to him and left acres of space for lawless and Elliott to run in behind, and his flick to lawless was sublime. It may not work against better, more organised defences but I thought it was a good display from him, just not one that we'd expect our line striker to play.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 1

We can always improve the squad.

If a good quality left back, for example, becomes available then he'll give the manager a very welcome choice to make.

It's all about continual improvement of the squad which is something we have been really good at since McNamara came in.

• Like 1

I was far from convinced by Stevenson in the lone striker's role on Wednesday and would rather see Doolan play there. Another striker like Lyle Taylor - quick, strong, able to link up play and score goals - would be ideal. There must be plenty of them out there desperate to sign for Thistle.

For those posters who rely on internet searches to assess players, I note that one of our rivals signed a left back who started his career with Maribor, who are Celtic's next opponents in the Champions League, and last year was with Parma, the Italian Serie A club. That looks like an impressive CV but those of us at the game on Wednesday saw him playing left back for County - he was completely useless .

• Like 1

I was far from convinced by Stevenson in the lone striker's role on Wednesday and would rather see Doolan play there. Another striker like Lyle Taylor - quick, strong, able to link up play and score goals - would be ideal. There must be plenty of them out there desperate to sign for Thistle.

For those posters who rely on internet searches to assess players, I note that one of our rivals signed a left back who started his career with Maribor, who are Celtic's next opponents in the Champions League, and last year was with Parma, the Italian Serie A club. That looks like an impressive CV but those of us at the game on Wednesday saw him playing left back for County - he was completely useless .

I actually think stevensons presence in front of Ross county's 2 CBS helped us create a lot of space

Nah can't see it, Stevenson starts every week if he's fit if you're asking me. Archie made him captain on his debut, only time Stevo's not in team is if he's crocked or suspended if u ask me.

I also think Stevenson will start most games but pretty sure he will revert back to a role in behind the striker. I think he was put in that position on Wednesday night because of who we were playing, as he has a bigger physical presence than Doolan.

Archie seems to be quite loyal so it could be the case of same again at Dens though.

I see he was saying that he was looking for another wide player and a striker before window closes. McFadden can play both roles. Am I the only one hoping that all his other options fall through and he ends up signing for us? Or is it the case that Archie doesn't see it as a good option? I think it would be a risk worth taking.

Edited by Jag

Nah can't see it, Stevenson starts every week if he's fit if you're asking me. Archie made him captain on his debut, only time Stevo's not in team is if he's crocked or suspended if u ask me.

You're maybe right about Stevenson starting if fit but is he fit enough to play twice a week? Even so, I still think Doolan will start tomorrow. Possibly in Lawless's place.

I can't see him changing the team after a 4-0 win.

I can see how Doolan up top is a good option away from home in particular. As soon as we win the ball, he's always on the move and looking for space.

A couple of additions and a bit of luck on the injury front this year, and it might prove to be an exciting season ahead.

Not wishing for a moment to be critical of any player who played the other night, but I just feel that if Archie can make the signings he's mentioned it will strengthen our team: particularly when the inevitable injuries and suspensions occur.. Not too mention that an additional forward similar to Taylor, would allow for a plan B when appropriate.

I see Killie have just signed Michael Ngoo. His goal scoring record isn't anything to get excited about but I see he is 6' 6" which probably suggests what Killie's tactics are going to be.

BTW I caught the highlights of the Killie v Aberdeen game. Have I been spoiled by the thrill-a-minute team from Firhill or was that really a slow, dull game?

Killie have Miller, Magennis, and Ngoo. Think there's only one route they'er taking this season to getting the ball forward.

I see McFadden is now being mooted for a move to the MLS- could we fulfil a similar role to Lampard @ Man City with a deal until December / January? Still think he'll go elsewhere but a shorter deal would probably give us more of a chance.

Wouldn't change the team for tomorrow, even though Stevenson isn't at his best at CF.

Killie have Miller, Magennis, and Ngoo. Think there's only one route they'er taking this season to getting the ball forward.

I see McFadden is now being mooted for a move to the MLS- could we fulfil a similar role to Lampard @ Man City with a deal until December / January? Still think he'll go elsewhere but a shorter deal would probably give us more of a chance.

Wouldn't change the team for tomorrow, even though Stevenson isn't at his best at CF.

Thought young Muirhead would be getting more game time there, seems to be getting pushed further down the line