Aitken Suite - Fair Play To The Club

avie-man

Outside the Bing this place has been one of my biggest gripes about the club. Just presented an awful image. Crap beer, crap experience, no sky tv, old tvs showing midsomer murders and bargain hunt, just feels like a big room of nothing. If anything it presented a bad picture of the club imo. I like the local pubs around the ground but especially pre-match these changes would convince me to use it again for the first time in a long while. Well done to the club for identifying the potential it has and the dire experience it has been for years.

Edited by avie-man

I thought that the Aitken suite was outsourced ? Has that changed or is about to change. I think the main factor that keeps the fans away is the length of time it takes to get served. From about 2pm, you can wait 20 mins before getting served as there is usually only one side of the bar being used. It could do with a lick of paint and a spruce up. Maybe going for Virgin Media/BT Sport would be a better option, but I don't know if that is more or less expensive than Sky

Outside the Bing this place has been one of my biggest gripes about the club. Just presented an awful image. Crap beer, crap experience, no sky tv, old tvs showing midsomer murders and bargain hunt, just feels like a big room of nothing. If anything it presented a bad picture of the club imo. I like the local pubs around the ground but especially pre-match these changes would convince me to use it again for the first time in a long while. Well done to the club for identifying the potential it has and the dire experience it has been for years.

That is good to hear as if the club can get people like yourself to come back along with getting it part of the routine for new supporters it could be a decent earner for the club. I realise that there are plenty of people who are loyal to a particular pub and won't change but we should be trying to have a decent facility for fans to use on matchdays.

The club maybe need to consider whether they would be prepared to have the AS open for more than just match days. It's definitely a moot point whether it could be made to be a viable social club in the normal sense of the term and, if so, whether it could compete with local hostelries.

My thinking comes from away match experiences such as Annan, Palmerston and even Blyth Spartans. To the best of my knowledge, those clubs are used out with just match days (although I do stand to be corrected on that). The day at Annan was memorable - a perfect sized wee club with the ample staff kitted out in Annan FC polo shirts and serving a near perfect pint and at a very reasonable price (in total contrast to the AS which serves grossly overpriced gunk, IF you don't mind waiting for ever to get served). Also at Annan, QotS and Blyth we never had the Polis skulking around menacingly ready to pounce on the stroke of 2.30pm.

My brother (a ST holder), whose entire working life has been in the licensing trade - more than 20 years as a licensee) - tried on more than one occasion to offer his assistance by explaining how queuing time could be slashed by adopting a simple method that he introduced to the Ferry and other places. He might as well have been talking Serbo Croat as the person in charge, and later the employee of the club responsible for the AS, simply ignored him; in the latter case, more than one phone call (by arrangement) was unreturned despite voicemail messages being left.

I'm sure improvements could be made to the AS, but until it's decided what kind of outlet we want it to be I fear it's destined to be the unfortunate place it is.

Meant to say that I'm not advocating we go down the road of making the AS a full blown social club - I simply know nothing about that side of things, but just interested how other clubs manage to run one leaving me wondering if we could follow suit?

The club maybe need to consider whether they would be prepared to have the AS open for more than just match days. It's definitely a moot point whether it could be made to be a viable social club in the normal sense of the term and, if so, whether it could compete with local hostelries.

My thinking comes from away match experiences such as Annan, Palmerston and even Blyth Spartans. To the best of my knowledge, those clubs are used out with just match days (although I do stand to be corrected on that). The day at Annan was memorable - a perfect sized wee club with the ample staff kitted out in Annan FC polo shirts and serving a near perfect pint and at a very reasonable price (in total contrast to the AS which serves grossly overpriced gunk, IF you don't mind waiting for ever to get served). Also at Annan, QotS and Blyth we never had the Polis skulking around menacingly ready to pounce on the stroke of 2.30pm.

My brother (a ST holder), whose entire working life has been in the licensing trade - more than 20 years as a licensee) - tried on more than one occasion to offer his assistance by explaining how queuing time could be slashed by adopting a simple method that he introduced to the Ferry and other places. He might as well have been talking Serbo Croat as the person in charge, and later the employee of the club responsible for the AS, simply ignored him; in the latter case, more than one phone call (by arrangement) was unreturned despite voicemail messages being left.

I'm sure improvements could be made to the AS, but until it's decided what kind of outlet we want it to be I fear it's destined to be the unfortunate place it is.

Meant to say that I'm not advocating we go down the road of making the AS a full blown social club - I simply know nothing about that side of things, but just interested how other clubs manage to run one leaving me wondering if we could follow suit?

Out of interest at New Broomfield the bar there was also open before games and the staff all had Airdrieonians polo shirts, ties etc on. It also showed Sky but I am not sure if that bar was open just before games or open all the time

My thinking comes from away match experiences such as Annan, Palmerston and even Blyth Spartans.

Are there any other clubs which run successful pubs inside their grounds? Unless it can get popular daily use I would imagine it would be near impossible to sustain a place that only has trade once every fortnight, and cant even stay open during the actual match. The use and maintenance of beer lines for one would just be economical. I could imagine a catering/restaurant company coming in for games but that would probably be too expensive as well.

Are there any other clubs which run successful pubs inside their grounds? Unless it can get popular daily use I would imagine it would be near impossible to sustain a place that only has trade once every fortnight, and cant even stay open during the actual match. The use and maintenance of beer lines for one would just be economical. I could imagine a catering/restaurant company coming in for games but that would probably be too expensive as well.

St Johnstone an exception to rule but they're dependent on the Fair City mortality rate. And even they've, as a club, been reporting year on year losses lately. The bar at ICT doesn't strike me a winner despite the grounds remoteness from competition .

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I dont think the trade is there out with match days, i regulary pass Munn/Woddy/S&G on my way home form work after 8 during the week and by the look of things there are 4 men and a dug in them.

I would aim for the 3 disitnct markets

1- Fans wanting to watch the early kick offs with a couple of pints in mind - decent prices and decent beers should attract them

2- Away fans- use the club twitter/facebook etc to advertise the facilities on offer - how many times to we struggle to find something decent near an away grouns

3- Families- offer food (burgers/pie n beans etc) try and get them to come in early for food and a few drinks/soft drinks enjoy the experience maybe have ex players/mac bee cutting about for photos

I think you're right. I'm sure it's all been looked at before. The future's probably no different from now, unless the club are willing to put a few quid into the place with a guarantee of no return.

Have experience of management in the licensed trade.

I applied for this post. But heard zilch from the club in response. I had sampled all of the corporate hospitality packages (or had someone do it on my behalf in some instances, as timescaled were tight) and drew comparisons to our hospitality and how we can improve in that area of the business.

Having had experience in driving sales and custom in the Pub trade I had a fair idea of how I wanted t improve the Matchday experience for the fans within the stadium. For me the Sky stuff woudlnt be worth while unless the club took the decision to open the bar on non matchdays for Champions League etc. It costs several thousands of pounds per month and the cost of that alone is not worth your while if you are opening one day a week.

I expected at least to get an interview so I could put my proposals across but did not hear anything back at all regarding my applicaion. It is a concern though with this job in particuar...the person who is in charge of the cirporate hospitality & bar management is also the same person who has to drum up advertisers for the programme and stadium trackside. Seems like two entirely different skill sets. I can only assume there are people out there at smaller clubs doing a similar roleho would make the step up to a job like this.

Would be great if it could happen but I don't think it could be successful. These clubs with successful social clubs are small-to-middling size clubs who are the only SPFL (as it is now) club in a small-to-middling size town. As such they can be a focus not just for the club but for the local community and in many cases have been for a long time.

Thistle are a minority club in their own area never mind the whole of Glasgow and a lot of the locals would rather stick to a local "OF pub" than a Thistle based community bar.

Maybe it could work as part of a wider community outreach where Firhill facilities, including the Aitken, were offered to community groups but that would take a great deal of organisation (far mre than simply doing up the Aitken and improving its facilities) and liaison even if it were feasible.

Have experience of management in the licensed trade.

I applied for this post. But heard zilch from the club in response. I had sampled all of the corporate hospitality packages (or had someone do it on my behalf in some instances, as timescaled were tight) and drew comparisons to our hospitality and how we can improve in that area of the business.

Having had experience in driving sales and custom in the Pub trade I had a fair idea of how I wanted t improve the Matchday experience for the fans within the stadium. For me the Sky stuff woudlnt be worth while unless the club took the decision to open the bar on non matchdays for Champions League etc. It costs several thousands of pounds per month and the cost of that alone is not worth your while if you are opening one day a week.

I expected at least to get an interview so I could put my proposals across but did not hear anything back at all regarding my applicaion. It is a concern though with this job in particuar...the person who is in charge of the cirporate hospitality & bar management is also the same person who has to drum up advertisers for the programme and stadium trackside. Seems like two entirely different skill sets. I can only assume there are people out there at smaller clubs doing a similar roleho would make the step up to a job like this.

Quite possible that your application got lost or forgotten about. I would ring the club and ask for Ian Maxwell and ask why you haven't heard anything.

To be honest the ship has sailed as far as the opportunity goes. I e-mailed the club with a full application as per the request on the website. If they've lost it then I am afraid that just sums up the professionalism of the way things operate.

I genuinely don't think the club themselves know who they are looking for in regards to that job. That's alot of work for one person. Its 2 roles that would require 2 degrees in each field to be competent enough to do it. Someone who is good at marketing probably knows naff all about the licensed trade and smoeone who runs a good bar operation wouldnt surely know the first thing about marketing and advertising. I was just lucky enough to have had some experience as an events promoter aswell as completing a degree in Hospitality Management. The marketing stuff is more voluntary but hospitality is my career.

I would have thought that with pre season approaching this post will be filled and they will be (or at least should be) hard at work drawing up a plan for next season.

There must be loads of opportunities for one off functions, business meetings,parties etc.

I think this would be the road to go down to increase usage.

I know someone who tried to book the AR lounge for a party and didn't hear back from the club.

He also tried to book a table for 10 for a Thistle function with no reply. On both occassions he contacted them a number of times.

So a bit of professionalism can only be a good thing.

As mentioned, sky tv is way too expensive for most clubs although the local football social club I use (in aberdeenshire) now has BT sport and it's pretty reasonable per month, nowhere near as much coverage or games as sky but they usually have a sat lunchtime game or show which I'm sure most fans would be happy to watch.

Hope the club look at that option as an alternative to sky.

Far too many examples of undue complacency at Firhil Rd emerging for my liking.

Just curious as to what particular degree(s) comrade Maxwell presented to his interviewers a bit back. Hmmmmm.

To be fair,BJ, the ad doesn't mention the need to have any degree. Unfortunately, in today's working environment it is not uncommon for applicants not to get any response. Not saying that it is right, but that's life. It is up to the applicant to follow up on progress, if they want to get any news.