Ryan Stevenson - Signs

ifu03340

A very astute piece of business', conducted more or less under the radar. Obviously, further signings will have to await the completion of events in Brazil....lol!

That is a very good point. The club seems to be going about it's business quietly but efficiently. I reckon this signing is worth any three that the likes of Dundee have signed. (Am I going too far?)

Great signing. first time I remember seeing him I went through to the Airdrie v Ayr United play off final second leg which ayr won. Stevenson scored i'm sure, and was a stand out, a real quality player. Interesting to note that he was recently courted by rangers and turned them down. From what I can gather an Ayrshire lad who supports his local team with a dislike for the old firm. Which is great in my book. On top of that it will give Craigan competition for the attacking midfield role, which will take some pressure off Jimmy. What I mean by that is that last season Jimmy was a young boy, our first choice attacking midfielder, and with that probably carried a lot of pressure. having competition to focus on, will remove some of that pressure and allow him to develop as a footballer.

• Like 3

A signing that will provide competition for places we already have filled. Hopefully we'll get a couple of signings now for spaces we don't have filled.

I take your point, Will, but Archie seems to go about things in a methodical way such as getting the existing key players signed up and extending contracts. If reports of our previous interest in Stevenson are correct then Archie has probably had to move fast to tie the lad up.

I hope tho' with the exception of an experienced defender/and or defensive midfielder that we continue signing younger players. While I believe bringing Ryan in could be a cracking piece of business I think adding to the squad by signing other players of similar age should be limited to one further player, or two at the very most.

Don't see this as for a position we already have filled. We don't have anyone on the books who can play in the hole behind the striker. Erskine, Buaben, Doolan, and Craigen all played that position last year with limited success. Stevenson is a natural fit for that position or right midfield and will get goals from both positions. Great signing.

• Like 1

bunnymen what most have said.

a tremendous signing, who is experienced, proven, has goals and much more in his armoury, is a gives 100% type, and is a nightmare handful to play against.

as lady bouffant says, good choice of older age player, we need that 2 or 3 in team, but i too wish to see us maintain our policy of bringing through our own, and signing youngsters with potential and who can all blossom and benefit our style of football, no hoof merchants or journeymen required at ptfc.

and as the toilet trained one pointed out, he knocked back the advances of glasgows newest football club, and has a dislike for both bum cheeks, so that makes him a good guy in my book.

welcome to the utopia that is partick thistle ryan, enjoy your three (and possibly more) years here, turn yourself into a jags legend.

ps if archie or ryan could persuade callum paterson to also make the move from hearts to the jags that would be dandy :happy:

bunnymen what most have said.

a tremendous signing, who is experienced, proven, has goals and much more in his armoury, is a gives 100% type, and is a nightmare handful to play against.

as lady bouffant says, good choice of older age player, we need that 2 or 3 in team, but i too wish to see us maintain our policy of bringing through our own, and signing youngsters with potential and who can all blossom and benefit our style of football, no hoof merchants or journeymen required at ptfc.

and as the toilet trained one pointed out, he knocked back the advances of glasgows newest football club, and has a dislike for both bum cheeks, so that makes him a good guy in my book.

welcome to the utopia that is partick thistle ryan, enjoy your three (and possibly more) years here, turn yourself into a jags legend.

ps if archie or ryan could persuade callum paterson to also make the move from hearts to the jags that would be dandy :happy:

yoda i agree Callum Paterson would be a fantastic signing though sadly I can't see it. Having said that I didn't think we would have much chance of signing Stevenson either

terrific!!!

Cant wait to see him start playing behind Dools.

Not just a good signing because of his ability but it puts a message out to other signing targets that he's willing to come here.May help us attract other quality players .

good stuff from Arch and co.

a couple of defenders now please.

Injury prone? Another Sean Welsh?

Here's some quick stats I've dug up

2007–2010 Ayr United 81 (25)

2010–2012 Heart of Midlothian 61 (9)

2012 Ipswich Town 11 (1)

2012–2014 Heart of Midlothian 55 (12)

He was obviously only very briefly at Ipswich but apart from that seems to have managed to play 20-30 games a season. So he's played on average about 2/3rds of the games he could have played each season. Not too bad for an injury prone player. (BTW figures in brackets is goals scored).

Edited by Mr Bunny