World Cup Jags

idlewild84

With Ryan McGowan getting on for the Aussies, it got me thinking about other jags at world cups.

The only other 2 I could think of who played for the jags before a World Cup are Alan Rough and Mo Johnstone.

McNamara and Donnelly played at France 98 before coming to thistle.

I'm sure I'm missing a few others

With Ryan McGowan getting on for the Aussies, it got me thinking about other jags at world cups.

The only other 2 I could think of who played for the jags before a World Cup are Alan Rough and Mo Johnstone.

Roughie was a Jag for the 78 WC, not sure if he'd transferred to Hibs before the 82 WC

Roughie was a Jag for the 78 WC, not sure if he'd transferred to Hibs before the 82 WC

He didn't. His first game back in Scotland after Spain 82 was away at East Stirling, the Sunday Mail had a picture of him with an empty terrace behind him and made a big thing about the difference between the highs of the summer and his current state. Of course they ignored the fact that that part of terracing was taped off as unsafe and the rest of the ground was jam packed.

Edited by ClydebankJag
  • Like 1

Michael McGlinchey played a few games for us as a trialist the season before he played in the 2010 World Cup for New Zealand.

I have one unidentified trialist (No.11) for the Stirling Albion game. Maybe that could he be him? Would be good to know as he could be added to the "World Cup Squads" list (he didn't actually play).

Thought he did well when he came on last night. Has a hand in what would have been a cracking equaliser, only offside by a whisker.

Brings the total to 10 who have commonly played for Thistle and in the World Cup

Jimmy Davidson, Johnny Mackenzie, David Harvey, Alan Rough, Alan Hansen, Maurice Johnston, Murdo MacLeod, Robert Fleck, Jackie McNamara and Ryan McGowan.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

I have one unidentified trialist (No.11) for the Stirling Albion game. Maybe that could he be him? Would be good to know as he could be added to the "World Cup Squads" list (he didn't actually play).

I assume the Stirling game was a friendly in July 08.

If you add in trialists that have played in friendlies then you could also include testimonials. Bound to be some World Cup player who's played in a testimonial Jags XI tho' off the top of my head can't think of one..

Apologies, should have put the date in, 11th July 2009. Just checked the match report on ptfc.co.uk, seems the No.11 in question was a Spaniard.

I've got line up names and subs for all the pre-season games 2009-10 and no mention of McGlinchey, so either he somehow avoided being name-checked (in the oft informal nature of the pre-season friendly) or he only featured in closed door bounce games.

Re classifying "proper" Jaggy games, appearances and goals, I'm of the opinion that all friendlies and testimonials should count - as long as it's predominantly the current First Team squad that are playing and the game is not closed doors. I've certainly included them in my query - however I should add the caveat that many team lines are likely to remain unknown forever.

A good example that is NOT included as a "proper" Partick Thistle game/appearance (in my interpretations) would be the Jackie Campbell Select in 1980, which included just a handful of current Jags as well as the likes of Roy Aitken, Andy Ritchie etc. Some might argue that Murdo Macleod, who lined up alongside Dougie Somner, made his Thistle debut that day!

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Brings the total to 10 who have commonly played for Thistle and in the World Cup

Jimmy Davidson, Johnny Mackenzie, David Harvey, Alan Rough, Alan Hansen, Maurice Johnston, Murdo MacLeod, Robert Fleck, Jackie McNamara and Ryan McGowan.

give it four years, there will be a few more to be added to that esteemed list

Apologies, should have put the date in, 11th July 2009. Just checked the match report on ptfc.co.uk, seems the No.11 in question was a Spaniard.

I've got line up names and subs for all the pre-season games 2009-10 and no mention of McGlinchey, so either he somehow avoided being name-checked (in the oft informal nature of the pre-season friendly) or he only featured in closed door bounce games.

The Spaniard was, I'm fairly sure, Dani Sanchez who later joined ICT.

McGlinchey played in a bounce game against Cowdenbeath at Edinburgh University. I think he may have scored as well.

• Like 1

Derek Johnstone known more for his sterling effort to become the Jags worst ever manager was in the '78 (Argentina) squad. His non selection to play in any of the three games was the subject of much discussion. His form going into the tournament would suggest his omission was not entirely football related..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Just to add in 1954, Scotland only took 13 players but were permitted a 22 man squad. Further to McKenzie and Davidson who played in Switzerland, Dave Mathers was also part of the stand by players who could have travelled but the SFA were too tight to pay for. In 1958 Tommy Ewing did travel with the 22 man squad but never played.