Mcfadden

thornwoodjag

Hibs three centre backs were brilliant tonight especially the guy Fontaine. He is exactly the type of centre back that we need

I suppose Hibs averaging home attendances of around 10,000 against the likes of Falkirk, Cowden & Livi highlight just how hard it is for us to bring in similar quality. We're struggling in a higher division to get a third of that.

• Like 1

should higgy be out for a prolonged period, i reckon we could come to regret our reluctance/lack of finance/whatever to make him an offer...

Just guessing and taking what I could from that poorish article but I'd assume it's a combination of wages and area of the field McFadden would play in whereas I think Saints are a wee bit weak in attack without McLean.. Also I imagine we could only offer a deal up to January, which may well not have been to McFadden's liking.

I know St Johnstone have posted disappointing accounts lately but they'll still have some cash from Stevie May. There's an example of a club using transfer money to fund a player signing, lessening the risk factor.

Good point about Higgy but it would probably have been a bit out our range to offer McFadden a deal for the rest of the season. And I never pay too much attention to the pay when you play agreements. I'm sure they might be ideal in principle but in practice I doubt they are common.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I've been thinking about the McFadden situation over the last day or two and it has started to irk me slightly.

It had become blatantly evident that McFadden's options were going to be limited to clubs in Scotland in all likelihood. Why then have we afforded him training facilities for the last 5/6 weeks, getting him fit for a rival club - St Johnstone, in this case - when there appears to have been absolutely no chance of signing him? The budget was exhausted and we clearly weren't gambling on getting a decent draw in the cup because out with Rangers, we got the best draw we could have hoped for, financially speaking.

Perhaps I'm being completely unreasonable. Perhaps the players have benefited from having a guy of McFadden's calibre around training. But it's going to be of little consolation if he's running rings around them in a St Johnstone shirt.

Well tis basically taken St Johnstone 2 days of training to realise that he can give it a go.

It was well longer than 5/6weeks he was with us. Absolute shocking.

If the management liked him and they thought he could help the team improve then they should have worked something out with the BoD. Don't have the money? Find the money. Find sponsors, find a way of making it work. DOn't just sit there and say "sorry, no dice"

Arhcie clearly nothing but a yes man to that twat Beattie. Looking back at that STV interview he has basically sat there for 15mins and talked utter pish. Hasn't delivered on any of his promises. Was actually stupid enough to quote that we WILL be signing Lyle Taylor. Then we didnt.

Fed up really with Thistle just being content as a Football Club. It's been the same ever since Save The Jags. Yeah we're not a top team but hey at least we won't go bust. The way the club is run, the state the stadium is in, the marketing of the club. it is all complete dire. We simply don't deserve to be a top flight team.

• Like 1

Fed up really with Thistle just being content as a Football Club. It's been the same ever since Save The Jags. Yeah we're not a top team but hey at least we won't go bust. The way the club is run, the state the stadium is in, the marketing of the club. it is all complete dire. We simply don't deserve to be a top flight team.

Exactly how I feel sadly...

Archie has made it clear any time he was asked that we weren't offering McFadden a deal. The only place it has been suggested we might be going for him is in this stupid thread.

I've no doubt Archie's reason is simply that for the kind of money we'd have to pay to get him he isn't worth taking a risk on. Also it's hard to see how he'd fit into our team - not saying he couldn't but when I saw him play for Motherwell last season he looked OK - showed some nice touches - but was somewhat lacking in energy.

St Johnstone signed him because they can easily afford to. They have no debt, are financially sound, got cash from winning a cup and recently sold a player for near a million quid. They can easily afford to take a risk on things not panning out with him.

If we signed him it would probably eat up our budget and that would be a real problem if things didn't work out. Personally I think, when all are fit we have enough good attacking players and we should concentrate on trying to sign another decent defender if any is available within our budget at the moment.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I am already indifferent to the idea of relegation because the club does not appear to have made much progress on or off the field since we came into this league. With the signings we have made and the signings we are passing up on, we are not actively seeking to advance on last season's success. We are just happy to stoat along, get by and that is that.

Crowds are now down and the BoD will now be looking at ways of cutting costs and sadly it's always the team who suffer first and foremost for that.

Like I say, chairman has made himself look like an arse several times by making false claims about players and budgets.

Maybe, just maybe, we are not a Premier League Club?

If you're in the premier league you're a premier league club. When you're not, you're not.

FFS St Johnstone and Killie were once in the third division (as was) as I'm sure were other clubs which have improved a lot since then. We have the potential to be a regular middling premier league club but like anything else in the world it requires working hard and making the right decisions. I've no doubt about the working hard bit but we'll see at the end of the season whether we made more good decisions than bad ones.

Edited by Mr Bunny

We'll need to keep this thread updated with how many goals McFadden scores for St Johnstone.

Because if he had ended up on the payroll at Firhill, and had in any way been considered not to be pulling his weight, certain muppets on this forum would be absolutely F**KING RAGING and presenting it as yet another reason for sacking the manager.

But, we didn't sign him, so it's a reason anyway. Lose-Lose when it comes to Archibald, for some.

Edited by Richard Nixon

When you look at the build of Ecclestone (granted I've seen little of him) but I doubt he'll be a bigger success than McFadden would have been for us/will be for St. Johnstone.

For a striker to be successful at this level they don't need to be excellent, they just need to have something other players don't. Height, strength, pace, skill, touch, intelligence. You're never going to get a player with many of them on our budget, but the squad needs to have it, he would have brought some of those skills.

The decision not to sign McFadden was probably more down to the inefficiencies our current squad & that it wouldn't really suit his style of play. If we had Taylor up top, I think we might have signed him, as he had the pace to make runs that could be spotted by McFadden.

Edited by 1 John Lambie
  • Like 1

If you're in the premier league you're a premier league club. When you're not, you're not.

FFS St Johnstone and Killie were once in the third division (as was) as I'm sure were other clubs which have improved a lot since then. We have the potential to be a regular middling premier league club but like anything else in the world it requires working hard and making the right decisions. I've no doubt about the working hard bit but we'll see at the end of the season whether we made more good decisions than bad ones.

Disagree, any time we have tried to operate as a top flight club we have wrecked it. And this is showing signs of the same thing happening again. First season we do okay, then the board start tightneing the purse strings. We lose good players, we replace them with players who are not as good. We lose a good manager, we take a cheap option. How many times will history repeat itself?

• Like 1

Disagree, any time we have tried to operate as a top flight club we have wrecked it. And this is showing signs of the same thing happening again. First season we do okay, then the board start tightneing the purse strings. We lose good players, we replace them with players who are not as good. We lose a good manager, we take a cheap option. How many times will history repeat itself?

Not arguing but apart from Collins replacing Lambie could you expand on the anytime?

Just guessing and taking what I could from that poorish article but I'd assume it's a combination of wages and area of the field McFadden would play in whereas I think Saints are a wee bit weak in attack without McLean.. Also I imagine we could only offer a deal up to January, which may well not have been to McFadden's liking.

I know St Johnstone have posted disappointing accounts lately but they'll still have some cash from Stevie May. There's an example of a club using transfer money to fund a player signing, lessening the risk factor.

Good point about Higgy but it would probably have been a bit out our range to offer McFadden a deal for the rest of the season. And I never pay too much attention to the pay when you play agreements. I'm sure they might be ideal in principle but in practice I doubt they are common.

Just read Bbc website McFadden offered a deal by St Johnstone till January and if it works out for both parties it will be extended till the end of the season . The apathy around about the club just now is astounding taken into account we're only into our 2nd season in the SPFL, there appear to many reasons for this, broken promises by the chairman ( better quality of player) , increase in season ticket price, the TAG farce , the North stand malarkey even our lottery has come in for criticism. The signing of someone like McFadden would have elimated some of this, we know he probably isn't the player he was but players of Faddy's ability usually adapt their game as they get older. It wasn't a gamble to sign Faddy as I'm sure the spin off from hospitality and merchandising would have helped fund the transfer . Our esteemed BOD have in my opinion scored a massive own goal.