January Window

ayrshire jag

I fully expect SOD to leave in the summer; I don't think there's much hope of avoiding that. It's possible that someone tries to dislodge him in this window by offering a reduced fee in the hope that we take it rather than lose him for nowt. Given the issues we have at full-back such an offer would present us with a tricky decision. Archie would have to be really confident that he can bring in a quality replacement, and possibly a back-up too, before letting SOD go early. Personally I don't see him moving until summer unless someone makes us an offer we simply can't refuse.

What would genuinely be the reaction of our fans if we offered Ched Evans a deal?

Steve Bruce from Hull has came out in his support, and I think it is a legitimate appeal. While I know he is a convicted rapist, the details of his conviction are very skewed. The victum didn't actually report Evans and has never said she was raped - all proceedings and alegations have came from the police. He is consistently reffered to as footballer ched evans in the trial (no other case ever says the profession as in the eyes of the law it is irrelevant). The cctv of the night shows the women happily going back to the hotel and she asked to go there, also shows her in a fit state (for after a night out). The receptionist in the hotel over heard the women and said she sounded fine. This all came at a time when laws changed so that no longer a women had to say "no" for it to be rape but this doesn't mean she has to say yes - it just has to be consentual and the women has never indicated it wasn't consentual. In fact Evans and his friend both say the women said ok to Evans 'joining in' (as with everything else the women claims no memory). It does appear the police and court have punnished Evans for his high profile stature and the ability to send out a message that rape isn't just when someone says no. I think it is more than likely he will get his appeal - he has already served his time anyway.

Remember in law the proof has to be by the prosecution and the jury has to be sure beyond reasonable doubt that the offence took place - this can't be said for this case, so it almost certainly will get over-turned.

Like Steve Bruce, I think he deserves a chance. While it is a contentious decision as no club obviously wants associated with a rapist, I think Evans is probably innocent and has served a long time for an offence that would definitely of gone unpunnished if he wasn't a footballer. Then being a footballer means he can't return to work. Anyway, I for one, wouldn't be against Thistle giving him a platform to play again and I was wondering others opinions on it? Am I alone in my thinking? I realise we are trying to be this family, women welcome, club and I guess thats where the most concerns will be.

Edited by read'n'yell

What would genuinely be the reaction of our fans if we offered Ched Evans a deal?

NO!

At this time he is a rapist. He was found guilty and sentenced. He should not be allowed to get into a position of being a role-model for young men,

If he appeals, wins that appeal and his conviction is overturned then perhaps he can begin to rehabilitate his reputation.

We are being linked with Ruben Palazuelos. Don’t see the need for a defensive midfielder unless either Banzo or Abdul are leaving?

On SOD and Banzo going to Dundee United from an unbiased view got to say that would be a great move for them. They would fit well into the system they play.

From our point of view very disappointing if we do lose SOD for nothing. Hopefully get a decent fee for Bannigan but can’t see United being able to pay that much. Better if teams from down south came in for him.

Steve Bruce from Hull has came out in his support, and I think it is a legitimate appeal. While I know he is a convicted rapist, the details of his conviction are very skewed. The victum didn't actually report Evans and has never said she was raped - all proceedings and alegations have came from the police. He is consistently reffered to as footballer ched evans in the trial (no other case ever says the profession as in the eyes of the law it is irrelevant). The cctv of the night shows the women happily going back to the hotel and she asked to go there, also shows her in a fit state (for after a night out). The receptionist in the hotel over heard the women and said she sounded fine. This all came at a time when laws changed so that no longer a women had to say "no" for it to be rape but this doesn't mean she has to say yes - it just has to be consentual and the women has never indicated it wasn't consentual. In fact Evans and his friend both say the women said ok to Evans 'joining in' (as with everything else the women claims no memory). It does appear the police and court have punnished Evans for his high profile stature and the ability to send out a message that rape isn't just when someone says no. I think it is more than likely he will get his appeal - he has already served his time anyway.

Remember in law the proof has to be by the prosecution and the jury has to be sure beyond reasonable doubt that the offence took place - this can't be said for this case, so it almost certainly will get over-turned.

Like Steve Bruce, I think he deserves a chance. While it is a contentious decision as no club obviously wants associated with a rapist, I think Evans is probably innocent and has served a long time for an offence that would definitely of gone unpunnished if he wasn't a footballer. Then being a footballer means he can't return to work. Anyway, I for one, wouldn't be against Thistle giving him a platform to play again and I was wondering others opinions on it? Am I alone in my thinking? I realise we are trying to be this family, women welcome, club and I guess thats where the most concerns will be.

Daniel Taylor in The Guardian today writes an interesting column on this situation. Perhaps worth a read?

I wouldn't sign Ched Evans because it would affect the club. I doubt he'll ever be able to sign for another professional club again.

Why does Ed Milliband need to get involved in it? What a disaster of a human being he is.

The evidence is sketchy so I would love to see Evans's appeal be successful just to see that creep backtrack.

I wouldn't sign Ched Evans because it would affect the club. I doubt he'll ever be able to sign for another professional club again.

Why does Ed Milliband need to get involved in it? What a disaster of a human being he is.

The evidence is sketchy so I would love to see Evans's appeal be successful just to see that creep backtrack.

Nothing about a fair and just outcome then.

The reason I brought up Goodwillie was because the evidence against him was far more damning than Evans. The girl he was accused of raping, couldn't walk, had fatal levels of alcohol in her system, eyes rolling into the back of her head, Goodwillie told bouncers he would take her back to her home before taking her to his hotel. She also accused Goodwillie of rape and won the highest award for victum compensation she was told she had been "a victum of crime". The case was not granted approval to proceed to court - blocked by one man. So he got away with it therefor it is fine to sign him? Morally, I would say it would be worse to sign Goodwillie. But obviously, we can't act as the judge and jury for someone so we have to accept his innocence.

I guess it will just have to wait until the appeal, but I just don't think it is right for so many high profile people to say their 'acting as judge and jury' piece so openly, especially politicians who should be reinforcing the justice system.

That will probably depend on whether his appeal is successful. It is solely a matter for the criminal justice system rather than opportunist politicians who are seeking the easy headline. Bizarrely, Miliband is arguing that Evans should show remorse for a crime that he says he did not commit. No politician, especially the Leader of the Opposition, should comment on the Evans case whilst his appeal against the conviction is being considered.

and yet, just five days ago you posted in this same thread .....

Ched Evans would be a excellent singing IMO.

please stop posting.

you are an embarrassment to yourself and every thistle supporter.

• Like 2

Create an account elsewhere for your right wing political views. This is about football of all aspects.

• Like 1

Would be very sorry to see SOD leave, for nothing and especially to Dundee Utd.

We need a little bit of luck, to get big money for one or two of our better players. If we had a million or two in the bank, we could pay that little bit more to our players and fend off the likes of Dundee Utd.

Basically, I think we need a bit of good fortune in the transfer market to help us move up the food chain.

That will probably depend on whether his appeal is successful. It is solely a matter for the criminal justice system rather than opportunist politicians who are seeking the easy headline. Bizarrely, Miliband is arguing that Evans should show remorse for a crime that he says he did not commit. No politician, especially the Leader of the Opposition, should comment on the Evans case whilst his appeal against the conviction is being considered.

He's clearly using the situation to look for votes. Embarrassing really.

I'd say he'd be better focusing on his policies rather than bowing to mob rule but that'd be very short lived.