Arthur Montford

West Ender

On the Thistle CD produced a few years ago was there not one song which faded out for a while and we heard Arthur's great commentary on the 4 League Cup goals before the song returned? Which song was it?

Thistle are rising again?

We're a well-known Glasgow football team?

Just cannot remember, so someone please put me out of my misery. It goes without saying that whatever song it was should be played tomorrow with commentary of course, as a tribute.

On the Thistle CD produced a few years ago was there not one song which faded out for a while and we heard Arthur's great commentary on the 4 League Cup goals before the song returned? Which song was it?

Thistle are rising again?

We're a well-known Glasgow football team?

Just cannot remember, so someone please put me out of my misery. It goes without saying that whatever song it was should be played tomorrow with commentary of course, as a tribute.

Not very long ago that song used to be played at Firhill just before every match. It would indeed be fitting for it to be played before the Accies match.

Sorry to hear about his death ,he certainly was an institution in Scotland.

He was a member of Killermont Golf Club and I remember the time he was asked by the secretary to park his car in the "back" car park as his estate car had the STV logo on the side. Changed days indeed

However I have to say Arthur was a supreme example of " learning on the job.".He was dreadful ,as was the whole show ,for the first few years. Typical "haun' knitted" fare from STV

On the way out of Thistle game around 1962 he interviewed my granny on her way out....as I was only 3 or 4 at the time I think I remember it was about women coming to matches. I got home to Oakbank Terrace after the game and I'm sure I saw it on the telly on the early programme. He had that big mike that covered half his face. Very polite man.

'John Hansen is right out the game!'

RIP Big man.