Arthur Montford

West Ender

Sorry to hear the news.

I can remember Arthur reporting on football in the early 1960s, in black & white, with a microphone the size of a cauliflower and

his Harris Tweed jacket strobing wildly on the tiny screens of the time.

As someone else has said we can just about recite the whole of the '71 commentary, so memorable were his descriptive words.

A long time Morton man and a champion of the smaller clubs.

Sad to see him go.

• Like 1

I remember one old black and white commentary of a match. Morton (Arthur's team) had just scored, and as the players were giving each other a perfunctory handshake, he could hardly contain himself: "And the Morton players are ecstatic.....!"

He never had a bad word to say about anybody; a true gentleman.

RIP

Very sad to hear. A true gentleman in an industry that's hardly noted for that quality.

Tho' I'd been amongst others in his company a few times I really only met him properly the once. Thru a friend I was invited to an STV "live" showing at Cowcaddens of a Euro game that was only being highlighted on TV (Aberdeen v Bayern '83?). Arthur had handed over the reins to Jock Broon by then but he was still a major player at STV Sports. The man couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. At half time his head popped round the door with a "coffee anyone?". Might mean little to some but I was used to so called media bigwigs snapping their fingers and have others run to their beck and call. Arthur was clearly way above all that.

I see Morton have gone six games without defeat and are sitting on top of their division. I truly hope Arthur took some pleasure from that in the time leading up to his passing.

RIP

Really saddened to hear this news today I got to know Arthur when he visited his brother in Lennox Castle Hospital and found him to be a gentleman of the highest calibre. Arthur never basked in his fame which endeared him to all that met him.

It came as no surprise to patients or staff that he would hand out some Cup Final tickets or at Christmas bring in Sports Annuals such was the generosity of the man. His voice was such an iconic part of our sporting upbringing and who will forget those jackets, but I feel honored to have met one of life's true gents.

• Like 1

Everyone has been quoting his 'disaster for Scotland' as Ally Hunter made a James Blunt of a routine shot against Czechoslovakia in '73. (didn't see the first half- my parents insisted I go to Cubs as usual that night) so didn't hear him say it.

The one I always remember was the 'Goal for Spain and disaster for Scotland' in an ill fated Euro qualifier at Hampden

By all accounts a true gent and pro

Hope we can get a chant going for him on Saturday

:(

In our game, outside of Thistle / Scotland, I was most fond of Bob Crampsey and Arthur Montford.

Sometimes he would mess up and couldn't tell his Joe Craig's from his Dougie Somner's but it didn't matter. He kept it real and that really communicated best of all, quite the opposite of 1001 bland posers since.

He always struck me as a true gent also - always quick to acknowledge good sporting behaviour. Just looking back at some his commentaries there I was struck by quite a few instances... "The Celtic fans are applauding Thistle, I can see them from here." Different class.

Here's my wee tribute to King Arthur...

Fantastic business going on in commentary box here… what a sensation!

2mha2on.jpg

“And it’s stopped almost on the line, it’s still not clear, down to Rae, AND IT’S A GOAL! Rae scores for Thistle!”

“Lawrie at the edge of the box, inside, right foot shot, to the far side AND IT’S THERE! Lawrie scores a SENSATIONAL goal!”

“Lawrie with the corner, up go the heads, chance for Thistle. McQUADE SCORES! SENSATION! Thirty minutes played and it’s three nothing!”

“Taken by Lawrie, in comes BONE! Walks the ball into the net! It’s FOUR NOTHING!”

:)

RIP big feller

• Like 1

Agree with the tributes

For those of a certain age very much part of our football upbring and immortalised for Thistle fans in THAT commentary and gave rise to a fanzine name. Just dug out my DVD & gone ane watched it again. Wonderful although I am convinced Arthur says "and Celtic are down to 12 men" just beyween goal 2 & 3. Perhaps it's just the sound quality or maybe proof the unfair advantages the ugly sisters carry!!

As an aside (apologies for the alliteration..oops sorry again..), the following comment got me thinking - could our modern players cut out some of the stupid goal celebrations at least until the result is in the bag?!!

I remember one old black and white commentary of a match. Morton (Arthur's team) had just scored, and as the players were giving each other a perfunctory handshake, he could hardly contain himself: "And the Morton players are ecstatic.....!" He never had a bad word to say about anybody; a true gentleman. RIP