Sportscene

skipper

I texted Cowan and Cosgrove yesterday that most of Scottish football is fed up hearing their bias on the 'well and the Saintees - they go on ad infinitum. But the BBC is riddled with this. Apart from the Ugly Sisters and the skewed coverage they get you've got wee Chic going on and on about St Mirren and to a lesser extent Richard Gordon with Aberdeen and wee Robertson on Ross County. I'm sure you can think of more. Plus they sent along that woman to Firhill yesterday and she didn't exactly exude football knowledge/expertise. I was listening as I watched and wondered if she was at the same game.

Is it time we acquired a celebrity/media fan to fight our corner. We seem to get hardly any coverage EVER!!

Considering the late drama in the the 1-2 and 3-3 league games between Thistle & Hamilton this season and the fact that Hamilton are just two points off the top of the Premiership and equal top scorers with Celtic, the coverage showed contempt for both clubs. Also, regardless of the poor cup attendances all round, Firhill had 3rd highest after Dundee and Motherwell as far as I can see.

• Like 1

In fairness to Cowan and Cosgrove - and Richard Gordon and Spency as well - at least they are up front with their allegiances (as was of course Arthur Montford). In my view,it becomes a problem for these pundits when their natural affiliation is to one or other of Celtic or The Rangers (some will have transferred their allegiance from the defunct predecessor). Personally I have no problem at all with their allegiances (although the Saintees and 'Well thing is becoming a bit of a repetitive drag) - and I assume that the majority of the punters are all genuine - although the obvious and hypocritical pretending by some of them is truly tiresome.

Having said that, where there is a genuine affiliation and affection to whatever team they support (particularly Derek Ferguson who seems to genuinely love the Accies) it is actually quite refreshing.

• Like 1

Asked if he thought Tommy Craig could turn things around at St Mirren, Owen Coyle replied, "I hope so ...". So, Owen, if you hope that St Mirren can avoid relegation, who do you hope will take their place in the bottom two? No prizes for guessing the answer to that one.

What I really detest is when some celebrity (term used very loosely) attaches themselves to the likes of us, or other Scottish clubs for that matter. Just being a Jags supporter you receive enough patronising without these phoney allegiances. I can to some extent understand a Glaswegian/Scottish based bigwig pretending to be a fan of a non ugly sister club if just to protect their career. But for example Jimmy Greaves associating himself with Hamilton Accies. What's all that about?

Be different if those celebs were putting their hands in their wallets. Even at that we dodged a bullet by not responding to one Stuart Hall a self proclaimed Jags fan.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Asked if he thought Tommy Craig could turn things around at St Mirren, Owen Coyle replied, "I hope so ...". So, Owen, if you hope that St Mirren can avoid relegation, who do you hope will take their place in the bottom two? No prizes for guessing the answer to that one.

What annoys me is when the pundits say that they are sure that Team X will "start climbing the table", for example that has been said several times about St Mirren when Steven Thompson & Co return or about Ross County when Jim McIntyre starts getting his message through. The logic therefore is that to allow this to happen other teams must start sliding down the table, but that is never quite spelled out!

I texted Cowan and Cosgrove yesterday that most of Scottish football is fed up hearing their bias on the 'well and the Saintees - they go on ad infinitum. But the BBC is riddled with this. Apart from the Ugly Sisters and the skewed coverage they get you've got wee Chic going on and on about St Mirren and to a lesser extent Richard Gordon with Aberdeen and wee Robertson on Ross County. I'm sure you can think of more. Plus they sent along that woman to Firhill yesterday and she didn't exactly exude football knowledge/expertise. I was listening as I watched and wondered if she was at the same game.

Is it time we acquired a celebrity/media fan to fight our corner. We seem to get hardly any coverage EVER!!

Derek Ferguson goes on about Accies, Spencey goes on about Dundee and Utd and everytime I hear Rob Mclean commentate our game we lose - 2 celtic games at firhill last year, St johnstone rearranged game last year, St.Mirren and Aberdeen at home this year - stay away Rob ya bas

I always get a bit peed off every time I hear John Barnes banging on about Killie. He always seems to be doing their games. Even when doing the sports news midweek he always manages to squeeze a mention in for them. The coverage of our game yesterday was ridiculous. Why did a game between 2 teams in the 2nd tier (Alloa / Hibs) get extended coverage whilst ours or the St Mirren ICT game (all Premiership) got a minute each?

He was fantastic PR for us during the league winning season.

For all I laugh at the man's regular malapropisms and his near unique use of the English language, I've got to agree. He knew our players strengths and weaknesses but more to the point and, unlike the BBC norm, Derek could actually recognise the individual members of our squad.

I'd like to think his continued involvement with BBC Sports will effectively preclude his younger brother (surely imminent for the heave from his present employers) from getting a similar gig.

Let's be honest the standard of football reporting is awful and made even worse by the fawning sycophancy showing towards Celtic and even more so towards Sevco. If I hear one more mention of the League Cup Semi–Final I'll cry, God help us if they play each other in the Scotish Cup as well!

I think I remember around about the same time as the league cup draw we drew 3-3 with Hamilton in what you could consider quite a thrilling game, yet the headline on BBC sport for Scottish football was the league cup draw...

Highlights didn't do the game justice at all, pretty disappointing. Although that was one of the most enjoyable games this season, atmosphere in the north stand was great.

Just having a look at the BBC web site report on our game - wanted to confirm my impressions and did to some extent -

possession 51% to them (so 50-50 really), but then it was a cup game. I'd thought they had more but with less effective possession than us (party down to our defence).

Shots - we had more and we had 6 on target to their 2. This agreed with my impressions at the game.

I'd thought Doolan came on but apparently it was some young guy called Chris Dillon. Anyone seen him in the u-20s?

Edited by Mr Bunny