The Midweek Game

The Sunnylaw Jag

As you say lawless not starting, especially as banzo was moved left to accommodate Craigen in the middle. Banzo should have been in the middle with lawless out left. Not bashing Craigen, but he isn't better than banzo in the middle or better than lawless.

2 centre backs, injured, so nothing that could be done about that, so why start with a weakened midfield when we are forced to use our most weakest centre pairing?

Edit..after a wee bit of thinking, I would say dools should have started before Craigen. If he wanted to play banzo left for a reason, then Stevenson could have dropped into the middle of midfield and dools up front.

Edited by JaggyMad

I thought the Muirhead / Balatoni partnership wasn't that bad. Celtic seemed off the pace and their finishing was poor. I honestly couldn't fault our effort and we tried to play football. (I remain hopeful that Craigen will improve.) Substitutions seemed to work out well didn't muck up our shape etc. All in all, always bad to lose to the OF but seen worse. We move on to Saturday. But well done to all!

• Like 3

Craigen is limited in ability but he's stronger, he'll work harder and get about the pitch more than Lawless.

Going with Craigen makes sense if you want a team that will close Celtic down fast.

Would Lawless had made any difference? Probably not. He'll be back in the team for the important game on Saturday.

• Like 1

close, but no cigar.

whilst the green arse cheek were not at their best, we should take a reasonable amount of positives and pride from last night. galls proved he's still got it, and should retain the jersey for the foreseeable. aero and conrad, were overall, pretty solid and decent. no bookings and appeared no injuries. no player had a stinker, and we troubled them at times. possibly with a bit more incisiveness, not being up against gordon in top goalkeeping form, and a penalty shout near the end if it had gone our way, and we could have been on here today praising our battling, spirited and unified team performance getting a point.

as it is, contrary to what many (usual suspects) on here predicted pre-match (especially for some real knicker-wetters when they saw team line-up ..... i believe some put bets on us losing by more than 4 or 5 on seeing the cb's pairing ..... the same cb's pairing that ran same opposition close last season in 2-1 game incidentally), the players and archie, shaggy and co can feel proud at their efforts, and even a bit gutted at not coming away from the east end with a wellearned point ..... and if nothing else, full of determination to ensure they put in a stirring and professional performance vs killie on saturday and bag the 3 points convincingly.

while we shouldn't run before we can walk, i am of the opinion we should start looking up the table more than we look down it.

• Like 1

Some post-match stats:

First time no Thistle player booked in competitive action this season.

First competitive Thistle game with no bookings since 1 December 2013 (vs. Aberdeen in the Scottish).

End of Christie Elliott's marvellous appearance run - 28 consecutive games (including friendlies).

100% Abdul and Steven are "last men standing" having appeared in all 18 competitive matches this season.

Abdul has never missed a match since his debut vs. Dumbarton in July, 22 in a row.

Abdul has 1,620 minutes of unbroken game time under his belt, made up entirely from every single competitive minute of football we've played so far. Die Mensch-Maschine.

I think that was absolutely the case.

Our truly dismal record against them, and against the team that preceded sevco, continues. It must be about the worst of any other of the top 12 or so teams in Scotland. Truly abysmal.

If you take the League Cup Final in 1971 as the cut-off point, since then (all competitions and friendlies) .......

Played 73

Won 9

Drawn 10

Lost 54

Goals for 54

Goals against 162.

In the same time frame the record against Rangers is........

Played 71

Won 10

Drawn 15

Lost 46

Goals for 63

Goals against 138.

I've never seen us beat one of the Old Firm, been going just about every week since 99/00. Long overdue for me!

The 2-1 game at Firhill last season was the first time I've seen us play either of the Old Firm since the 80's...though I'm not sure I missed too many victories in that time. Certainly haven't missed sharing a stadium with their fans.

I've seen us beat Rangers at least three times - John Gibson's Game in 1971, a last minute winner by Brian Whittaker a few years later and in the season we first got relegated from the Premier League (82?) a double for Tony Higgins :shok: in a 2-0 victory, all at Firhill.

Only seen one victory against Celtic...Hampden October 1971...think that finished 4-1.

• Like 1

I went to the Hampden game only to find out that it was all ticket and they weren't selling. Gave up and went to the pub when I heard the crowd cheering Celtic's opener. Long before smart phones, I only discovered that we'd won 3-1 when I got home hours later. Bitter sweet. I didn't admit to anyone at work the next day that I hadn't got in.

Was at the Rangers 3-0 game a couple of seasons earlier, and I think I remember a 1-0 over Celtic at Firhill that somehow felt fairly ordinary (which seems really strange). And I think that's it.

I went to the Hampden game only to find out that it was all ticket and they weren't selling. Gave up and went to the pub when I heard the crowd cheering Celtic's opener. Long before smart phones, I only discovered that we'd won 3-1 when I got home hours later. Bitter sweet. I didn't admit to anyone at work the next day that I hadn't got in.

Was at the Rangers 3-0 game a couple of seasons earlier, and I think I remember a 1-0 over Celtic at Firhill that somehow felt fairly ordinary (which seems really strange). And I think that's it.

Stevie Docherty scored if I remember right

No, just looked it up in the History book. It was Geordie Shaw. The one thing I remember about that game was Chic getting stick from some of the fans coz they reckoned he wasn't trying against his favourite team. He went mental when we scored and I think got in a bit of trouble for signalling "inappropriately" to these fans.

Celtic finished fourth that year which is maybe why it was a wee bit underwhelming.

Stephen Docherty came a bit later. Maybe there's a game I'm forgetting.

Edited by allyo