Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

22 minutes ago, stuthejag said:

Could it be Dougie Somner for Accies ?

It looks like him. Did he play with them?

edited to add: he went to Accies after St Mirren then finished his career at Montrose

Edited by jaggy
More info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Nice: Jags legend Dougie Somner in two pictures playing for two different teams against us on the same page!

Think it is April 9 1983 0-0 Somner wasn't playing for Accies that day (unless he is the mysterious "Newman" listed as a sub) but all the other Jags (if correctly identified) were apparently.

As I recall it was one of the most dire games of football I have ever witnessed - both sides were lucky to get 0. 

58 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Think it is April 9 1983 0-0 Somner wasn't playing for Accies that day (unless he is the mysterious "Newman" listed as a sub) but all the other Jags (if correctly identified) were apparently.

As I recall it was one of the most dire games of football I have ever witnessed - both sides were lucky to get 0. 

That was one of my first league games. Had only gone to cup games beforehand. I could not remember one thing about that match 🤣

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

That was one of my first league games. Had only gone to cup games beforehand. I could not remember one thing about that match 🤣

I only remember it because it was the day after my sister’s wedding and it was almost as tedious!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

I only remember it because it was the day after my sister’s wedding and it was almost as tedious!!!

I have perfected the art of avoiding invitations to weddings that might clash with a Thistle game.

Being fairly unfriendly is a useful trait in that respect.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, robphil said:

Yup, sandy it is. Can still remember his thunderbolt penalty in the 1-0 win over (champions elect?) Dundee. Think it was also George Niven's debut but my memory is as sharp as my eyesight these days!

George Niven's first game - Feb.24 1962 we cuffed them 3 - 0. They did indeed go on  to win the League that season.

Sandy Brown scored against them the following season - Nov.10. The season we finished third - done in by the 2 month interruption to fitba' by the weather!

4 hours ago, QXBoy said:

George Niven's first game - Feb.24 1962 we cuffed them 3 - 0. They did indeed go on  to win the League that season.

Sandy Brown scored against them the following season - Nov.10. The season we finished third - done in by the 2 month interruption to fitba' by the weather!

Thanks qxboy - winter of '63 broke my young heart. Think we topped the league on ne:erday

7 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Not my first Jags game but the first I clearly remember. The game was getting big licks in the days leading up to it. Larger crowd than normal, with I imagine many a neutral there to see Gilzean & Co tear us apart. But Thistle being Thistle had other ideas. Neilly Duffy scored twice, Hainey (fairly sure?) got the other. And as you mention Niven a clean sheet on his debut.

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He does it every year. Gav from Paisley rings a bell, but don’t know where that name comes from

Close. Gus. And he is from Paisley

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thrill-seeking-scots-grandad-tells-horror-3845873.amp

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...