Just In

watties wallies

Same team as part week

Bannigan left back didn't work lat week hey ho!

Motherwells outside right totally ran banzo ragged

Got beyond him and was pulled down penalty no question

Archie later in first half swapped banzo with Elliot

With banzo in midfield we started to play a bit better

Second half it was all thistle well just parked the bus

Subbed craigen and Stevenson for lawless and Doolan

Just couldn't create a clear opening

If McMillan is still missing next game Elliot should in at left back and leave banzo in midfield

Terrible first half better in second

Higgy still not up to his

usual standard

This was a chance to have seen Stevenson and Doolan together

Edited by watties wallies

First 30 min banzo got run ragged by ainsworth, should have swapped him with Elliott a lot earlier. Elliott had the speed to match ainsworth. When Archie realised this he also swapped Craigen to left midfield (shocking decision) Craigen should have been off then for Lawless instead of in the 50th minute.

2nd half was 1 way traffic, but no end result. We should have attacked Motherwell the way we did in the 2nd half from the 1st minute.

Higgy was shocking again today, the guy really needs to start producing something or he has to be benched. Craigen, (nice guy), but did absolutely zero today and should also be benched, how he is getting a start I do not know. We must be watching something different from Archie. Also why do we persist in only 1 up front until we are chasing the game. A wee bit of mixing our formation about wouldn't do us any harm. Last week I saw bobby Jenkins ( well coach) who was there to watch us and we started the exact team and formation this week. Why not go 442 and change our style cos team in our league has us sussed out.

• Like 2

First 30 min banzo got run ragged by ainsworth, should have swapped him with Elliott a lot earlier. Elliott had the speed to match ainsworth. When Archie realised this he also swapped Craigen to left midfield (shocking decision) Craigen should have been off then for Lawless instead of in the 50th minute.

2nd half was 1 way traffic, but no end result. We should have attacked Motherwell the way we did in the 2nd half from the 1st minute.

Higgy was shocking again today, the guy really needs to start producing something or he has to be benched. Craigen, (nice guy), but did absolutely zero today and should also be benched, how he is getting a start I do not know. We must be watching something different from Archie. Also why do we persist in only 1 up front until we are chasing the game. A wee bit of mixing our formation about wouldn't do us any harm. Last week I saw bobby Jenkins ( well coach) who was there to watch us and we started the exact team and formation this week. Why not go 442 and change our style cos team in our league has us sussed out.

Nailed it.

Higgy and Craigen have been playing poorly for weeks. If Higgy is off form we have no creativity. Craigen is just garbage.

Why could we not have Stevenson, Doolan and Eccelston on the pitch at once to press for an equaliser?

Why do we need to pass it side to side and never have a shot at goal unless we're 2 feet away?

For all our possession Motherwell were very comfortable. It should have been more than 1-0 to be honest.

We're so easy to break down yet other teams are well organised to stop us.

I still think we have a core of decent team but the organisation and desire isn't there.

Apart from the play itself, well summed up by JaggyMad, why are players even allowed to go out in those conditions with bare arms and legs? If it were freezing for us, wrapped up well, think of the potential for harm for players that sweat and then have nothing to keep the chill wind off or to wick the sweat away from the body. (It was one of the signs of Simon Donnelly's professional approach to the game that he always ensured he was clothed for comfort in cold weather.)

Absolute pish.

No efforts on target, little creativity, too many passes sideways or behind.

Bannigans indiscipline costs us again, Higgy well off form (how he stayed on for 90 I'll never know), Balatoni out of his depth at SPL level. Stevenson not a striker, managerial naivety and poor tactics again.

Each team below us gained points today.

If anyone thought we weren't in a relegation battle, think again.

• Like 1

That's us right back in the relegation dogfight yet again and to be honest we've only ourselves to blame. Being honest it'll take a huge improvement to get anything out of the Celtic game. I'll not make any rash predictions based on today, but the cumulative effect of our failure to win games is hardly encouraging, to say the least.

The glaring weakness in our side is the complete lack of a centre forward and unless serious attempts are made to fill that void then frankly I fear the worst.

Edited by stillresigned

As things stand we're underachieving, Dundee are no great shakes but we couldn't beat them. That Motherwell team was largely dire & we couldn't get anything from them. It doesn't help when our best player (Higgy) has hardly kicked a ball all season.

I'm a big Archie fan but that's 2 weeks in a row he's made a mistake taking Stevenson off, Doolan looked rusty & like a player who has hardly played recently when he came on.

Elliott was our man of the match, putting in an excellent performance at LB. When he went to LB, however, Craigen should have been hooked straight away for Lawless or McDaid, leaving Craigen on the wing was pointless.

The tactic that brought about Motherwell's goal & their other 1st half chances was isolating Ainsworth with Bannigan, yet we failed to leave Elliott on the right wing against the deadly slow Hammell. Ainsworth didn't get past Bannigan with any skill, he's just a quicker player than him. We should have left Elliott 1 v 1 with Hammell, all Elliott needed to do then was to kick the ball past him & chase it. Also think both Elliott & Higgy come infield too much (pretty much every game), leaving loads of space outwide, having 2 wingers infield a lot of the time just tightens the game up.

Bannigan needs to get his head up & take a shot too, a good few times in the 2nd half it opened up for him only to pass it out wide. On one occasion he was about 20yards out & the Motherwell defence just parted, running wide as they knew he was going to end up passing to a winger than shoot, very frustrating. Bannigan should have been taken off, not Fraser.

A very disappointing last 2 games, we should have got 6pts from them (we're more than capable, instead we have 1 & we're probably going to end up finishing 10th at best once again. Desperately need Frans back in the team plus a new striker.

• Like 1

I defy Pea Green Boy/Richard Nixon or anyone else come on here tonight & tell me that was acceptable.

The Inverness result looking more & more like a freak result when you look at what had gone previous vs Aberdeen & Killie- even Dundee last week.

No doubt they'll point to the fact we're 'x' points ahead of Ross Co & ''y' points ahead of St Mirren but in reality all their results did today was show how bad a result last week really was & what a well organised team (with a bit of luck) can achieve.

We're struggling & anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves.

The manager won't change his tactics & is insistent on playing square pegs in round holes to make sure system remains same.

Stevenson as CF, Bannigan at LB & Elliot as a right winger proof of that.

He won't be sacked, I accept that but he's not the man to take us forward.

The points we've thrown away this season due to 'lack of concentration' have really come home to roost today.

We might be 9 points ahead of 11th but surely after last season we should be looking up, not scrapping for 10th again.

We might be 9 points ahead of 11th but surely after last season we should be looking up, not scrapping for 10th again.

Enlighten me, what happened last year that makes you feel that we should be looking upwards?

You talk about square pegs etc where in the squad is the round pegs to put in the round holes other than Doolan in for Stevenson that Archie is ignoring?

Sure we have dropped points that we could /should have picked up but almost every team in the league could make that claim. On another day our second half performance would have earned at least a draw today we just didn't have enough guile to create a decent opening partly because Higgy just isn't contributing any creativity lately.

This season is about consolidating and to date they are achieving it, when this doesn't look possible Archie's position will be up for question not before.

Enlighten me, what happened last year that makes you feel that we should be looking upwards?

You talk about square pegs etc where in the squad is the round pegs to put in the round holes other than Doolan in for Stevenson that Archie is ignoring?

Sure we have dropped points that we could /should have picked up but almost every team in the league could make that claim. On another day our second half performance would have earned at least a draw today we just didn't have enough guile to create a decent opening partly because Higgy just isn't contributing any creativity lately.

This season is about consolidating and to date they are achieving it, when this doesn't look possible Archie's position will be up for question not before.

Ok. One point at a time.

Looking upwards- quality of player. We've had an increase in player budget. Guys like Ecclestone, Seabourne, Carroll, Osmam & Carroll haven't come cheaply & if they're not here to improve team/squad from last year than why are they here?

Square pegs I gave examples of players playing in unfavoured positions but in seeing you asked for more... Doolan or Ecclestone as CF. Stevenson or preferably Lawless or McDaid than Elliot. Bannigan... McMillan obv unfit but unfortunately that's been the case for best part of 18 months.

So, why did we sign Carroll on loan if not to play him? Or why did we put Keenan out on loan if Carroll not good enough even as a back up

LB?

Another day... our second half performance deserve a draw?

One shot on goal?

As for Hiiginbotham. Agreed. So why hasn't he been benched?

I did say manager won't be 'removed' but out of curiosity, when do we stop 'consolidating our position'?

Next year when Hearts & Hibs/Sevco come up? The year after?

Genuine question.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

Back in from Fir Park and it was pretty obvious Motherwell had watched us in previous games, they played wingers to nullify our full backs getting forward , Higgy gave no support at all to Banzo first half and left him isolated one on one against Ainsworth who ripped him to pieces. On the other hand when Higgy was attacking they doubled up on him obviously having identified him as a danger.

Lawless gave us energy when he came on and Doolan needs to start games to get back to his goal scoring form which he proved last year. Think out of all the signings in the summer only Abdul Osman and Seebourne even remotely cut it, the rest Ecclestone, Carroll , Stevenson etc haven't really set the heather on fire. The January transfer window now becomes crucial if we don't want to become embroiled in another relegation battle.

Edited by jlsarmy

I really need someone to explain how james craigen gets a game at this level? He is a shocking excuse for a footballer. Cannot cut it at this level yet the last few games he has been a starter. Only one man to blame and that is Archie.

One nil done and makes his usual sub Stevo for Archie. The guy is useless. I Wouldn't be surprised if our rivals don't send a scout to work out our tactics before hand cos he never changs the tactics or squad. We will not progress with Archie and that is a fact.

• Like 1

Archie, please stop playing higgy. Not only is he playing awful and way below his ability, it's affecting our and his confidence.

The usual 70 minute sub where stevenson got subbed was laughable. Higgys playing dreadful, he knows it and we do, wee lawless did more in twenty mins than higgy the 90. He's a great player on form, but he's off form so replace him!

Usual joke of a formation, it doesn't work Archie!!!!

How many shots on goal from us?

Really missed McMillan today tho' Christie did really well in a position he's not used to. Bannigan's stupidity maybe cost us the game tho' we should still have been able to trouble what looked to me a shaky Motherwell defence. I doubt that lot will get another three points playing like that too often. Don't think any of our penalty claims had much merit, tho' by sheer percentage we could maybe count ourselves a bit unlucky not to have scrambled something late on.

January is a very busy month for us. Not very confident of getting much out of our next two games but after that we're playing teams where we really have to pick up more points than we throw away. Good bit of work to be done to give ourselves a chance of having a good month.

• Like 1