Just In .. United .. 2-2

read'n'yell

Saw the team on Twitter in the Woody and thought we were in for a doing. Very glad to be proved wholly wrong. After the shaky start we got tore about them in the best fashion I've seen us play in a few seasons. Thought Stevenson and Lawless were immense today - tenacious and creative in equal measure. Anxiety ridden second half as I couldn't believe that we would walk away with nothing for our endeavour so a good point to take. Special mention to the small group of supporters to the left of me who berated every player on or off the ball in the second half, requested that Archie 'not turn up tomorrow' and gave him pesters for not making any subs. I wonder if the Scottish media will be wetting themselves over our talented team of youngsters like they do United?

Who are these people? What pleasure do they get from attending games.

Better off in the North Stand, I find the attitude there much more positive

I've only scanned thru various comments but I'm a wee bit disappointed to read some comments from posters I really respect. I don't think it the least bit fair to be critical of any of our players today without knowledge of their fitness. Bannigan and Fraser must surely be completely be exempt from any criticism whatsoever. Neither could've possibly trained anywhere near normal preparation. Fraser in particular had called of sick the other day yet played the full 90 mins. Other reports had both Doolan and Keenan not 100% over the last few days. Anyway the fighting spirit shown by everyone today was tremendous.

While I'm on my high horse I actually heard a couple of Jags fans moaning that we'd thrown the win away in the second half. Too keen to get up the road and enjoy a pint to argue the toss. As I saw it we played the whole of the 2nd half with three near novices, SOD clearly carrying a knock so obvious that for much of the half McDaid covered at right back. Factor in the fitness levels of Fraser & Bannigan plus Stevenson trying to run off a knock yet those two were near livid at the final result. I really hope that they cheered up later on as tonight we should be celebrating not moaning.

I usually agree with LOB however the last free kick that Fraser wasted was very poor. Either hammer it or play it in the corner but a dink to their keeper was very poor. Apart from that Superb effort we played very well, jackie can't win here and long may it continue.

My point tho' is that Fraser was ill yesterday and missing the game. Can't possibly have trained. Under normal circumstances the lad wouldn't have made the starting XI never mind being asked to play the full 90 mins. Let's remember his crosses for both our goals rather than his tired efforts late on.

• Like 1

My point tho' is that Fraser was ill yesterday and missing the game. Can't possibly have trained. Under normal circumstances the lad wouldn't have made the starting XI never mind being asked to play the full 90 mins. Let's remember his crosses for both our goals rather than his tired efforts late on.

Yeah, as I said, I wasn't there but we should be proud and positive after that. Not the time for negativity whatsoever. 'Mon the Jags.

Credit to to gary for his assists but if he was tired then let someone else take the free kick. Or at least think it through which it wasn't. Be honest, 30 yards out right at the end and we made a Mess of it.

That was a game which makes watching football and Partick Thistle in particular an emotion charged experience - I feared an absolute horsing early on, then we played brilliantly for half an hour and spent the second half under pressure.

The old heads in the side really stepped up to the plate - I have been a regular critic of Balatoni but that was as well as I've seen him play, Bannigan was immense, Fraser hit some great passes (though they both tired in the second half), O'Donnell was an attacking threat and made some important challenges and Lawless was outstanding - his suberb skill and pass to put Stevenson through on the left wing deserved better than the shot which threatened the dug-out more than the goal...but all part of the entertainment at Firhill.

All of these guys are still in their very early 20's so credit to them. Of the real youngsters, Keenan looked hopelessly out of his depth in the first 15 minutes but after some guidance from the dug-out he settled into a decent game; Lindsay looked calm but misplaced a header and then dived in in the lead-up to their equaliser; McDaid was lively and willing - delighted to see them get some game time and look forward to seeing more of them.

When he was signed, I assumed that Stevenson would play in the attacking midfielder role that we didn't really fill last season. He was useless earlier in the season but he is now beginning to look the part. Doolan did well too but it did look like a real chance he missed and then the follow up at the post - was it Fraser? I was too far away to see but I was expecting the net to bulge.

I haven't mentioned Gallagher - no chance with either goal but although we were pushed back the only save he made was in the first minute. United moved the ball about well but we defended very well as a team.

We didn't look like scoring in the second half and our best chance was when Craigen with his first touch failed to play in the unmarked Lawless with a simple header. Although the ball then broke for him in a good position, James wasn't strong enough in the challenge to retain possession. I think Craigen has some potential and takes very unfair criticism but there was a reason just about everyone was shouting at him.

The team were given tremendous support but the number of Thistle fans who turned up was pathetic. Why weren't you there?

He was not useless - blew a bit hot and cold and took a bit to settle in but was not useless - Did nothing wrong in the opening couple of games Ross County, Dundee - poor in games such as St Mirren at Firhill and Killie but the whole team was rubbish in these games but as always people seem to need a scapegoat and some supposed fans couldnt wait to tear Stevenson apart on the forums

He was not useless - blew a bit hot and cold and took a bit to settle in but was not useless - Did nothing wrong in the opening couple of games Ross County, Dundee - poor in games such as St Mirren at Firhill and Killie but the whole team was rubbish in these games but as always people seem to need a scapegoat and some supposed fans couldnt wait to tear Stevenson apart on the forums

I'm sorry but I don't agree with any of this.

He was subject to justifiable criticism for looking unfit & playing poorly and there was discussion about his best position in the side. He was dropped even though we had several players out injured at the time.

He was our big summer signing - why would any supporter prefer to criticise him rather than want him to do well? His form and attitude has improved and he is now getting the plaudits. That seems entirely reasonable to me. Some posters seem to regard any sort of criticicism as a treasonable offence.

A scapegoat is someone who takes the blame for the faults of others.

And we played well in the first half against St Mirren at Firhill - you can't wait to rubbish the team :thumbsup2:

I'm sorry but I don't agree with any of this.

He was subject to justifiable criticism for looking unfit & playing poorly and there was discussion about his best position in the side. He was dropped even though we had several players out injured at the time.

He was our big summer signing - why would any supporter prefer to criticise him rather than want him to do well? His form and attitude has improved and he is now getting the plaudits. That seems entirely reasonable to me. Some posters seem to regard any sort of criticicism as a treasonable offence.

A scapegoat is someone who takes the blame for the faults of others.

And we played well in the first half against St Mirren at Firhill - you can't wait to rubbish the team :thumbsup2:

there has never been a problem with stevensons attitude at any point and that is from Archie himself. In fact he was regularly the last player to leave training working on different aspects of his game. There was however clearly problems with his confidence, playing a position he was not that familiar with and I guess some players can take a bit to settle into a new team regardless of how big a signing they may or may not be.

Yes we did play well first half against st mirren but I'm afraid nearly all enjoyment went out the window when it came to full time for me

• Like 1

Great performance all round - especially attack in first half and defence in second half. Everyone played their part, but I think Balatoni should have been given man of the match for the way he marshalled his young defenders - he hardly put a foot wrong.

Stevenson has to play in an attacking midfield alongside quick players such as Lawless who can go past a man. The success of the first half was based on quick passes forward into space and not the usual slow sideways stuff. I'm sure Archie will have learned a lot from this match, and the success of Lindsay, McDaid and Keenan will take a bit of pressure off Archie during the transfer window by allowing him to be more selective in new signings now that he knows that the young players are so capable.

• Like 1

Really chuffed with a point here. Would have taken that with a full squad to pick from. Great effort from every player, really hungry to win the ball and play some good stuff. Impressed with our slight adjustment after 15 mins, which nullified Utd's one attacking ploy. They changed it after the break and this, along with our boys being dead on their feet, made a big difference. Nice to walk out NOT having conceded a late one this time though.

The last bunch of results kind of sums up being a Jags fan. A 4-0 humping of ICT away and a point at home against Utd with a threadbare, patched up side - excellent. Then the Dundee and Motherwell results on the other side of the coin (although I think we were unlucky in both to some degree). Thems the joys of following the mighty Thistle though.

• Like 1

We were outstanding yesterday. Echoing what others have said that when I saw the team sheet, I thought we'd be in for a horsing. Glad I was proved wrong. The first 5 minutes, then from the Dundee Utd goal to half time was probably I've seen us play since we got promoted.

Thought Lindsay was probably my man of the match. Won everything against decent, experienced attacking players and looked comfortable all game, Balatoni played his part in marshalling him so credit to him there for his best performance in a long time. Think the criticism for Lindsay for the goal is harsh. Won the ball in the air, aimed for Keenan who switched off and Mackay-Steven (I think) just came from nowhere and snatched the ball away and broke. As far as I'm concerned, their second goal was just a mistake between two inexperienced players. They'll learn from that and move on. Keenan pretty much had a baptism of fire first 15 minutes, and Dundee Utd seemed to keep playing the ball on his side but eventually grew into the game after the first goal, definite potential for a decent player there. McDaid showed that he is our next Higgy. Not afraid to go and beat a man, and very skilful, once he bulks up a bit so that he doesn't get outmuscled by the bigger defenders in this league (like Stevie Lawless has this season), he'll be a great player and will make us a lot of money. Lawless and Stevenson were excellent, Fraser was good but needs a bit better decision-making when playing his long balls. When they come off, they can be incredible, but sometimes he ignores the simple pass to play needless cross balls which gives away possession cheaply. Doolan had a good game, but could tell that he hasn't been starting recently and I thought he lacked a bit of sharpness, particularly for the sitter he missed. Goal was well taken though.

Criticism only comes for the ref for denying us a stonewall penalty in the first half, and just generally having an awful game. The standard of refereeing in this country is absolutely appalling. No idea why some people are even mentioning Craigen here, had about 3 nothing touches of the ball in the short time he was on and didn't have time to make any sort of impact, since he was only brought on to avoid Bannigan sent off. I have a feeling that if Craigen was to score a hat-trick of 30 yarders next week, people would still moan about a misplaced pass he made.

If we can get 4 points from our next two games then that would be a massive achievement. Win at County next week is a must though.

Well done to the youngsters - but as youngsters can be inconsistent I'd hope some players will return next week. I'd certainly hope Bannigan and Fraser are fitter and Stevenson and O'Donnell don't have any aftereffects from the knocks they took.

Mind you I wouldn't mind McDaid getting another start - in fact just start the same attacking 4 players with Higgy ready to come on if needed. We may of course be forced to play Keenan again - in fact if McMillan isn't available I'd prefer Keenan to Bannigan being put there.

It may seem unfair to drop Lindsay after an excellent game but it's vital we keep the gap between ourselves and Ross County (or even expand it) so if either Frans or Seabourne are fully fit they should come in as should Osman.

Statto site I saw showed us at this time last year 10th place, 1point ahead of 11th and 5 points ahead of bottom. We are now 9th 4pts ahead of 10th and 10pts ahead of the bottom two. Although we've played some good games this season and had some good results we haven't yet had a run of consistent form. If we can get that kind of run we'll be comfortable.

It will be interesting to see what signings we make now.

Well done to the youngsters - but as youngsters can be inconsistent I'd hope some players will return next week. I'd certainly hope Bannigan and Fraser are fitter and Stevenson and O'Donnell don't have any aftereffects from the knocks they took.

Mind you I wouldn't mind McDaid getting another start - in fact just start the same attacking 4 players with Higgy ready to come on if needed. We may of course be forced to play Keenan again - in fact if McMillan isn't available I'd prefer Keenan to Bannigan being put there.

It may seem unfair to drop Lindsay after an excellent game but it's vital we keep the gap between ourselves and Ross County (or even expand it) so if either Frans or Seabourne are fully fit they should come in as should Osman.

Statto site I saw showed us at this time last year 10th place, 1point ahead of 11th and 5 points ahead of bottom. We are now 9th 4pts ahead of 10th and 10pts ahead of the bottom two. Although we've played some good games this season and had some good results we haven't yet had a run of consistent form. If we can get that kind of run we'll be comfortable.

It will be interesting to see what signings we make now.

Be interesting to see how Archie man-manages this. Dropping Lindsay for the team captain shouldn't be difficult but replacing McDaid with Higgy, when the former put in a better all round performance than the latter has achieved of late, could be a tad deflating for the youngster. Taking Keenan out the side when he's the only recognised left back available would be another awkward decision.

No knowledge whatsoever but Archie has indicated bringing in a left back is top priority. So I wouldn't be surprised if Keenan remains in place for a short time till we add to that position.