Just In

Third Lanark

Very poor and that is polite

Positives booth and osman. I was at times watching and thinking surprised Hibs let him go.

Negatives - gallacher one of our best players IMO but all he had to do was pick the ball out the neck. Thought a little slow for the goal.

No one was great but disappointed with some if these guys

Lawless - As great player for us and underestimated but tonight - bundles of energy but decision making and first touch were awful his one shot at goal was a pathetic pass back.

Higanbotham and Fraser - surprised to hear a couple of fans say they are recovering it will take them a while to get back to their best. Fraser is still very young but really expected a bit better with some of his passes and corners considering how good he has been. I don't know if higgy is still recovering but craigen and Elliot would have been slaughtered for that performance tonight

Doolan - rightly got praised to the heavens just over a week ago but tonight he was so powderpuff it was ridiculous. Those headers he did if I could even call it that were atrocious. Kris you are a great servant to us but that was poor.

The others were nothing great. Other than the goal st mirren did nothing they were mince and we were humiliated again by mince.

Stevenson I thought did well first half half and created a lot but completely lost the plot in the second half. Ryan your the oldest player on the park you shouldn't have lost it.

Why did Declan mcdaid pass the ball back to st mirren at the end if the boot had been on the other foot there's no way Jim Goodwin would have done that

Easy to get wrapped up in the result but worth considering who was the better team. All day long it was us, and we had a stinker.

Doesn't make tonight any better I can assure you I have fell out with anyone stupid enough to try and treat me as a normal person in the those 2 hours. Life of a Jag I'm afraid and something to consider for those idiots that complain when we get narrowly beaten by a good team.

• Like 1

We were absolutely awful tonight, there's no denying it. We were utterly devoid of ideas and there was no pattern to our play. We were effectively beaten by a well-drilled back four. It looked like someone had swapped the players' boots with clown shoes: passes were flying all over the place and everyone seemed to be trying to control the ball with their shins. I like Stevie Lawless but there are times when you can tell after 10 minutes that he's going to have one of those days. But he wasn't the only one. Higgy is still struggling to make an impact - I've no idea what's up with him at the moment; Bannigan was ineffectual at best; and Osman couldn't pass a ball further than 5 yards. There were only a couple of players who could perhaps be excused: Doolan was feeding off scraps, and scraps that had been hurled at his head from 50 yards away. Conrad seemed to be taking part in a competition to see how much height he could get on his clearances. It was the footballing equivalent of a comedy sketch in which a soldier fires a mortar that is pointing straight up. Also, O'Donnell wasn't being picked out by either Osman or Bannigan, despite the fact that he was waving his arms around as though he was directing a trafficking plane.

What was most concerning is that we lost the plot towards the end. We don't seem to know how to put a team under concerted pressure. Instead the midfield goes AWOL and we end up with Gary Fraser playing quarterback, hoofing balls towards a back four only too pleased to head them straight back to whence they came.

Callum Booth looked decent though...

• Like 2

It was cold, we played poorly, it was a dreadful game and we lost to a pretty dire side...not a great Friday Night's Entertainment.

The only excuse is that the pitch was bumpy which is all against the quick passing game we try to play. Why do we play so much football in Scotland at the time of year when the weather is at it's worst, people are short of money & the playing surfaces get damaged? No wonder the standard of football and the entertainment level is so comparatively low - most of the time it's like watching head tennis...with a skill quotient way below Andy Murray.

We started slowly, conceded a cheap corner, faied to clear or close down and lost a soft goal to a mishit shot that seemed to bounce past half the team and the goalkeeper without any of them doing anything about it. We must have put in about 30 crosses without a Thistle player getting a clear chance and punted about 50 long balls which were easily dealt with by their very ordinary central defenders.

Lawless had sparks of invention and Booth was a willing runner down the left wing but pretty much everyone else was disappointing. I was surprised Osman was the Sponsors' MOTM - i thought he was poor, Stevenson didn't have a good day and Higgy was not the real Higgy(again). We pinned them back for most of the first half without really threatening but were even worse in the second half. It was frustrating watching us fail to show any sign of beaking through their defence.

It was the sort of game that puts people off going to football. It's a real shame that it was a night where there was TV & Radio coverage of us falling far short.

Shocking.

Set piece goal conceded (again) & lucky not to concede a second from a corner late on.

St Mirren's first clean sheet in 31 games & let's be honest, they didn't need to work particularly hard to do it. Their CHs, including Goodwin FFS, won every first ball that was punted long & every second ball that was punted a little bit shorter.

Manager- Aside from the obvious clueless plan B again, they left 3 back for set pieces, we pull all but 1 back. Someone explain why?

Second half. They string 5 across the back & we play one up top & if we're not lumping high balls at him, the ball when on the deck is predictably (albeit also slowly) going wide instead of someone running at Goodwin or McCausland.

Their corner with a couple mins to go. They have 3 defenders back on halfway. We have everyone back. Eventually we send Lawless up to halfway.

Last minute of the game, Gallacher (coach) waving O'Donnell forward for the corner. St Mirren forward slightly confused looks to his bench as to whether he should go back... Our manager makes the decision easy by ordering O'Donnell back to halfway.

C'mon, apologists, someone defend the indefensible here...

It's not a one off. It's happening too often.

Motherwell haven't looked like winning since they played us last time.

Killie hadn't scored a goal from open play since the last time they played us.

St Mirren no clean sheet in 31 games but no bother, they're playing us.

Set pieces defensively a bombscare.

Positive GD? That's ok then. Points better off than we were this time last season? That's ok then.

Last year we were unable to win at home. This season we can't string 2 results (even draws) back to back.

& without sounding disrespectful to Booth, he's a left back. He had no defending as such to do tonight. Going forward his delivery was aimless to often. Though to be fair when you've one wee guy amongst 3 CHs with no support bursting into the box it is difficult to pick him out.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

I thought we were pretty decent tonight - although I appreciate that that opinion won't be too well received on here. Between 15 and 45 mins in particular we were really strong. Had we scored the couple of goals that our play merited we would have gone to win by a pile.

yeh, frustrating that we were increasingly plodding in the face of the anti-football that the woeful St. Midden play, and annoying that we lacked the spark where it matters - but overall Thistle played okay tonight.

The old cliche that we'll play worse and win does not ease the pain of the defeat - but it is true nonetheless. Look no further than that dreadful game down in Paisley a couple of months ago for an example of exactly that.

• Like 1

I thought we were pretty decent tonight - although I appreciate that that opinion won't be too well received on here. Between 15 and 45 mins in particular we were really strong. Had we scored the couple of goals that our play merited we would have gone to win by a pile.

yeh, frustrating that we were increasingly plodding in the face of the anti-football that the woeful St. Midden play, and annoying that we lacked the spark where it matters - but overall Thistle played okay tonight.

The old cliche that we'll play worse and win does not ease the pain of the defeat - but it is true nonetheless. Look no further than that dreadful game down in Paisley a couple of months ago for an example of exactly that.

I'll have a pint of whatever concoction you've been drinking.

seriously? What game were U at

You're at it, right? We were absolutely woeful.

What I will say is that we will never play as poorly as St Mirren did tonight and win.

I don't often have a go at the manager but the second half tactics tonight were pathetic. Almost every time we got forward the ball went wide to the wing for a meaningless cross to come in to an outnumbered forward .Why did we repeatedly use this tactic when it was clear nothing was going to come from it.St Mirrens defenders will never have an easier nights defending , we played right into their hands.Just why did every player go wide with almost every ball ? Archie seems to have an obsession with getting the ball to the byline and crossing at the expense of players driving through the middle into the box. The service to Doolan tonight was laughable.

If a team .like St Mirren tonight , decide to sit in then we have no chance of breaking them down with these tactics.

Nothing, absolutely nothing came through the middle tonight.and we were sussed out early.The lack of a plan B and a change of formation early from the manager cost us what should have been a victory.

We must become more direct through the middle to get into the box We were predictable and obvious and Archie couldn't change it. Thought his subs were poor again also and when they came on they all seemed to end up on the wing too.

For me a very poor show from the management team tonight and Im definitely not an Archie basher.

• Like 1

When it gets to the last 10 minutes and you are still persisting with the same tactic that hasn't worked since the first minute, and it still doesn't change, something us wrong.

Words can't describe how wrong those tactics were, and how easily it could have changed.

St Mirren came with one plan in mind, sit back, soak it up and counter. Win some set pieces, score, sit back.

Which begs the question, why stick do rigidly to one tactic as we did. Surely if you are going to spend 90 minutes getting nowhere near their goal, it's much more pleasing on the eye to pass the ball around, back to front side to side and keep possession, wait for one of the st mirren players to make a mistake or step out of their rigid formation.

At what point does booting fck out a bit of leather to an inch of its life, become the favoured tactic?

At what point in the game do you look at SOD punting long balls at Stevo endlessly with no reward and think, we need to change this! Ok, Frans, you punt long balls at Dools, see if that works.... It didn't. Two of the worst centre halfs in the league cruised that game tonight.

I'm really not sure about Booth, he shat out of two challenges within a minute, in the second half, in the middle of the park. Going forward he looks ok. Hopefully he will come good. Not a great debut though.

No wonder SOD wants away, he must be freezing standing waiting and waiting and waiting with the whole pitch infront of him for a ball across the pitch. Fraser does it on occasion, but we haven't had anyone who can utilise SODs space since Paton, who could find him with a first time 50 yard pass without even looking up. Our cross field play has become laborious, that the defending team can just move as a unit across the pitch at the same pace as the ball.

Anyone who thinks Osman, Banzo or Fraser are automatic picks ahead of Craigan, as was suggested pre match are kidding themselves on. Osman was woeful, clumsy, slow and panicky. Hid behind the referee so he couldn't receive a pass, I can't remember him once demanding the ball off Frans. Banzo hasn't ever got to full fitness, Fraser likewise. They are both miles off the pace this season.

Higgy? God where do you start. Had 3 great months from Feb to May last year, don't get me wrong, 3 exquisite months, but apart from that he has run down blind alleys, taken the huff, been selfish, fallen over and waved his arms about a lot. He needs to start getting it together, otherwise I struggle to see how we can justify having him as a luxury player. During his run of form, he was described to me by someone close to him as, the sort of player who'd get you the sack... I didn't understand it at the time... I'm starting to see that now.

I can't really fault Lawless, they narked him out the game, at times there was 3 players around him closing him down with no support.

Stevo likewise did his best and produced our only highlight of the game, keeping a honking cross field pass in play infront of the JHS with 5 or 6 keepy uppies. I've no idea how he managed that!

Dools, bossed by Goodwin and that cab horse. Starved of anything like quality service, but still squandered good opportunities, back to mistiming his leaps at back post crosses.

The thing us, how can Archie drop any of them, they stuck rigidly to his tactics as he laid down.

Eta: it turns out they didn't stick to his tactics. Spending the 90 minutes of punting aimless balls to midgets was the players doing, seems Booth was the only one really listening to the manager when he told them to get the ball down the wing and across the box.

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 2

Who exactly do we think is going to head all these high balls,at one point in the second half Dools shied the ball to Ryan who promptly crossed the ball to no one.People made a great effort tonight crowd wise,thought the Northy put on a great show until even they gave up.We seem to be unable to change our tactics,how many times has that been said?,you wonder why people wont turn up to watch us,well tonight is a prime example,i heard AA on BBC biased,say that that St Midden started better than us,wel big man you tell us why that was!.

• Like 1

Did anyone expect we'd turn in a majestic performance and win comfortably?

We have a woeful management team that still haven't learned any lessons from last year.

Thistle are both turgid to watch and completely noneffective.

Great at passing the ball sideways though.

You must be having multiple orgasms this morning!

I was worried about this game but still thought worst case scenario would be a draw they are terrible and we plAyed into there hands completely !! If we could have been more patient and kept the ball on the deck instea of just bumping the bAll up the park looking for Stevenson to win every header ? Felt sorry for Doolan tonight aswell the service to him was ducking awful my question is didArchies game plan say punt the ball up to Stevenson all night ??? Doubt that was our plan but it seemed to. E out best hope ? :a what's really disappointing from tonight's performance is that when 1 or 2 of our attacking players aren't at there best we seem to have no idea what to do with the ball !!! Strangely enough I think it's the best I've seen a left back play for us this season the boy booth IMO looked like everything we have been missing from ats this season always happy to take the ball and a get up and down the nap all night !! Unfortunately higgy wAa poor and hasn't been the same since injury prob needs 1 of our fans to shout at him saying he's shit of something as he seems to thrive on proving some 1 wrong !! His best form came after one of our fans riled

Him !! Obviously missed big seaboard presence. But I couldn't fault big Conrad tonight but then out of the ill game we must have only defended for 15 miiiins !! We actually seem great agaisnt the attacking teams out problem sseems to be breaking down a team that parks the bus anyway I'm now in a **** of a mood steaming !!! And weekends now in her hands cos ave been in a **** if a mood since a got in lets how they fight like **** on Sunday So we can laugh at them peace n love etc ptfc xx

Well not sure where to start, list of things we did wrong is so long. I think Bannigan is far too negative and slow, he needs benched. We are a better team when he doesn't play and I think last couple of weeks really highlighted that. Doolan was non-existent - in the short time Eccleston played he made a good contribution. Higgy not happening for him this year, still tries hard though and has a presence on the pitch, all be it not much end result. Same went for Stevenson today - he tried exceptionally hard and gave his all, but didn't have anybody to play with half the time. Less critical of him. Lawless sparks of creativity but pretty much nothing went his way.

Our back four was good. I think Booth looked very good for his first game - put the ball on a plate for Stevo at the end of the first half.

St Mirren had a plan and stuck to it - we can never break down teams that sit in like that. Midway through second half they had a free kick on the half way line and kept 6 people in their own half, unbelievable but worked.

That's us firmly back in the playoff battle until we win a couple of games.