Mcdaid - Contract Extension?

Third Lanark

Aware its only a rumour but lad posted on pie & bovril that Declan McDaid may have signed a new 2 year deal.

Great news if true and by no means near the finished product but I think he has terrific potential and one of our best players over these last few despairing weeks as a Jags supporter. Also one of the few that has looked like he has been trying as hard as he can and genuinely interested the last few weeks

• Like 2

Aware its only a rumour but lad posted on pie & bovril that Declan McDaid may have signed a new 2 year deal.

Great news if true and by no means near the finished product but I think he has terrific potential and one of our best players over these last few despairing weeks as a Jags supporter. Also one of the few that has looked like he has been trying as hard as he can and genuinely interested the last few weeks

Be good if true. Have seen Declan play on numerous occasions and I don't think you have to be that clever in spotting talent to see he has a future in the game. Maybe out on a limb after yesterday but I think there's also a good bit of mileage in his game re defensive attributes. I feel the days of one trick pony widemen are well in the past and McDaid shows every sign of offering a good bit more.

I'd rather disassociate myself from comments about others not trying as those comments only ever come about after poor results. If certain players weren't giving a toss it would be even more obvious in games where we've had a good result. In other words they'd stick out like a sore thumb. Unless someone can come up with the necessary specifics then that's just bandwagon stuff.

• Like 1

I'd rather disassociate myself from comments about others not trying as those comments only ever come about after poor results. If certain players weren't giving a toss it would be even more obvious in games where we've had a good result. In other words they'd stick out like a sore thumb. Unless someone can come up with the necessary specifics then that's just bandwagon stuff.

That's your opinion, no problem with that.

It's never in my interest or character to be unnecessarily negative about any Jags player in particular a young man setting off in his career. With this in mind I don't see anything in Declan's game that suggests he has a future let alone be a star of the future for the Jags particularly if we maintain our status in the top flight. Yes he has an all action style and a trick or two however there has been no end product to date other than the set up for Christie at Paisley. A big improvement is needed on performances like yesterday were he was in many great positions yet offered nothing other than frustration.

For the record I sincerely hope I am wrong and premature in my judgement and that he goes on to prove that he is closer to a Mo Johnston than an Adam Strachan.

• Like 1

I find it slightly disrespectful to liken McDaid with Strachan. Unless you think lifestyle, discipline and general attitude are merely marginal issues.

I don't prejudice against the factors that make a potential talent into a failed one at the end of the day it is their career and they need to take the right decisions that give them the best chance to make the most of their talent.

I didn't liken Declan to Adam I merely offered the two ends of the spectrum as I saw them it's up to Declan to decide where he fits in within those extremes.

I don't prejudice against the factors that make a potential talent into a failed one at the end of the day it is their career and they need to take the right decisions that give them the best chance to make the most of their talent.

I didn't liken Declan to Adam I merely offered the two ends of the spectrum as I saw them it's up to Declan to decide where he fits in within those extremes.

I didn't quote you, Metz. Apologies if it appeared that way.

It's never in my interest or character to be unnecessarily negative about any Jags player in particular a young man setting off in his career. With this in mind I don't see anything in Declan's game that suggests he has a future let alone be a star of the future for the Jags particularly if we maintain our status in the top flight. Yes he has an all action style and a trick or two however there has been no end product to date other than the set up for Christie at Paisley. A big improvement is needed on performances like yesterday were he was in many great positions yet offered nothing other than frustration.

For the record I sincerely hope I am wrong and premature in my judgement and that he goes on to prove that he is closer to a Mo Johnston than an Adam Strachan.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Declan Mcdaid after 4 first team games , even watching yesterday's highlights ,two of our best moments involved him chesting the ball down to Lyle Taylor who should have scored and his reverse pass through to Christie Elliot to set up a cross. We've given Higgy the last 12 games to see if he can reproduce last seasons form ( he hasn't ), Declan Mcdaid deserves the chance to evolve and improve into a player who can be a success for PTFC, obviously after 4 first teams games that's not quick enough for you .

Think you're being a bit harsh on Declan Mcdaid after 4 first team games , even watching yesterday's highlights ,two of our best moments involved him chesting the ball down to Lyle Taylor who should have scored and his reverse pass through to Christie Elliot to set up a cross. We've given Higgy the last 12 games to see if he can reproduce last seasons form ( he hasn't ), Declan Mcdaid deserves the chance to evolve and improve into a player who can be a success for PTFC, obviously after 4 first teams games that's not quick enough for you .

Is there anything I have wrote that suggests different? I guess from your comments you weren't there I was so with all due respect when you are looking at a compressed version of the game you at least respect the opinion of those that where there. I'll make it simple for you if Declan is a regular feature next season I will buy another season ticket for the following season. Delighted to do so for two reasons firstly the Jags have a quality player secondly we have home grown talent that others will try to emulate.

Edited by Metz

Is there anything I have wrote that suggests different? I guess from your comments you weren't there I was so with all due respect when you are looking at a compressed version of the game you at least respect the opinion of those that where there. I'll make it simple for you if Declan is a regular feature next season I will buy another season ticket for the following season. Delighted to do so for two reasons firstly the Jags have a quality player secondly we have home grown talent that others will try to emulate.

Never said I didn't respect your opinion , but you can't judge a young player coming into the team after 4 games , they've got to develop physically etc etc , over the years I've seen players like Alan Hansen , Mo Johnston come into the team and develop and ultimately carve out fantastic careers for themselves, they weren't the finished article after 4 games. There have been others like Paddy Kelly , Adam Strachan and even more recently Shaun Fraser and Kieran Burns who I thought had good chances to do well in the game but for one reason or another it didn't happen for them.

If the club is going down the youth academy route which it should , we should show a bit of patience and encouragement and let the young players develop to see if they can play at a higher level.

• Like 2

Pretty much sounds like many or even most people's opinion of Erskine when breaking through.

If the club is going down the youth academy route which it should , we should show a bit of patience and encouragement and let the young players develop to see if they can play at a higher level.

Sadly we don't have enough brave people in our game to give youth a chance

We as fans need to be a bit more understanding and show a bit more patience to allow youth players to develop.

It's difficult as we have never really had an enviroment that shows much patience with fans getting on the backs of managers after a few dodgy results and a system where clubs are terrified of relegation or failure.

Putting in young players to first teams is deemed too risky by too many managers who go down the experienced player route.

The financial restrictions in the game here will hopefully mean more are forced to play and develop youth and hopefully with the great work being done at the Academy, Thistle can take advantage of this situation in the future by bringing through good talent.

Good luck to the lad Mcdaid and with alot of hard work and a bit of luck he will go on to have a good future in the game.

• Like 2

I'll make it simple for you if Declan is a regular feature next season I will buy another season ticket for the following season. Delighted to do so for two reasons firstly the Jags have a quality player secondly we have home grown talent that others will try to emulate.

apologies if i am misinterpreting your point, but technically speaking, young declan (only turned 19) is not a "home grown talent".

he had already broken into the morton first team in 2013, and featured four times for scotland schools under 18's in the centenary cup held in spring 2013, including scoring a goal against the auld enemy at mcdiarmid ..... all before he signed for us (and after turning down a fulltime contract with morton) in summer 2013.

there is no doubt he has been developed further with us, featuring mainly in the development squad in his first season or so with us, and is now turning into a serious contender for first team squad inclusion on a regular basis now, but i'd suggest to call him a homegrown talent is a touch fallacious.

as for your initial assessment of declans attributes and future, i am of the opinion you are being rather hastily harsh on him, and i for one from what i have seen of him am hopeful of declan becoming much nearer a mo johnston level of career success than that of a waster like knife-wielding heroin-possessing woman-bashing strachan.

Without putting too fine a point on it if Declan has the talent to succeed then that is the prerequisite he needs, all other factors will generally only detract from this he and other young talented players need to take control of their careers and not let their talent go to waste.