Beatts Is Back!

Lindau

hmmm… "...people don’t want to eat pies any more, perhaps they want salad or a bowl of fruit." Slimline salad cream? woofers and tweeters?

Just went into a wee day dream there Imagining half time and me shouting down the stairs...

Ben.... Ben.... BEEEENNNNNNN.... Get me some green salad leaves, mate, I'm starving! I'll square you up when you get back.... Yeah, brown sauce. Two sachets.

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 1

I'm sure loads of people like pies and bovril. I am also sure a lot of people would prefer a coffee/tea bar wth other types of snacks. God forbid, some people might even want a banana or an apple! There's plenty of space in the concourse.

Just back from Italy were a lot of the catering is done outside the ground. Again no reason why that couldn't happen at Firhill in the JH car park and the club can licence pitches-as an example.

I'm sure loads of people like pies and bovril. I am also sure a lot of people would prefer a coffee/tea bar wth other types of snacks. God forbid, some people might even want a banana or an apple! There's plenty of space in the concourse.

Just back from Italy were a lot of the catering is done outside the ground. Again no reason why that couldn't happen at Firhill in the JH car park and the club can licence pitches-as an example.

Completely agree, I'm sure a lot of folk would prefer coffee that isn't 2 quid for a teaspoon taken straight out a Nescafé bucket.

Plenty of space for a Costa Cart.

They could use the space at the side of the North Stand too. If there wasn't the smell of raw sewage lingering.

There recently was the Paisley food festival, which whilst fantastically marketed, was actually about 15 local cafe's and restaurants selling their food from vans... An opportunity for us to do similar, as you say, in the car park.

Artificial pitches aren't even mentioned in the article. I think it's a very positive article and it's a shame that such negative spin has been put on it here.

Correct, but look at post no2 where Les Gray openly stated our chairman spent a good while before the game on Saturday talking about the pitch costs and if it was proving worthwhile for Hamilton. Gray made it clear in the article that our chairman appeared very keen on a similar pitch at Firhill

I'm all for doing anything to raise attendances and it's refreshing to note that the chairman is trying to do something. We've probably been here before but would a more realistic pricing policy be a start? With some of the shortfall being made up by additional money due to more fans and catering - cost of hiring out space etc. Seems that quite a lot of fans are put off by cost - if you have a season ticket it kind of masks the cost in a strange way (as in you don't factor in your gate money when you leave the house). Oh, and I know the club has tried hard to bring in young fans at no or reduced cost.

As for plastic pitches, what do the players think and when will the player's union step in to say that this surface can shorten careers - for all that they are at the top flight in Scotland? Or do the players not mind them? (Someone in a different thread said that recovery times are longer after a game so presumably astro isn't a great surface to play on.) To be honest, Saturday's surface was a shocker and the flow of the game was ruined by stoppages due to injuries etc. Might a change of surface actually put fans off?

He talks some sense to me. This is a problem with the national game and I don't really know if there's any easy solution. There's more exposure now and arguably more competition, but crowds are still evaporating.

I was in the pub at 3 on Saturday (for the first time in years- normally I'd be at the football), and most places were very busy and many of them showing live Premier League games. Perhaps live football at Scottish level isn't attractive any more to people who can 'consume' it other ways..

On the subject of artificial pitches, it is completely understandable why these are being installed more and more. A grass pitch is a huge maintenance burden and is only used for about 30 hours a year. Synthetic pitches let you make use of the pitch (which is a huge piece of property) throughout the year. The specification of these is only getting better, and the Junior game is rapidly switching for obvious reasons. Watching the Man City game at the weekend where it was played on a pitch that looked like it never had a game played on it this season it was so lush, I realised that we just can't compete any more with those standards. For our own development we might need to go through this as a game...

Correct, but look at post no2 where Les Gray openly stated our chairman spent a good while before the game on Saturday talking about the pitch costs and if it was proving worthwhile for Hamilton. Gray made it clear in the article that our chairman appeared very keen on a similar pitch at Firhill

Also agree with allyo, chairman comes out and makes positive noises about improving the fan experience and gets slated here. It's also not exactly a stunning revelation that he might have discussed football related business with a fellow football chairman on Saturday. It would be remiss of Mr Beattie not to be considering the business case for a plastic pitch. Given that we don't have one and have announced no plans to install one for next season, I think it's safe to say he doesn't think the case has been made yet, but it makes sense to be talking to people who have them and finding out their experience!

Also agree with allyo, chairman comes out and makes positive noises about improving the fan experience and gets slated here. It's also not exactly a stunning revelation that he might have discussed football related business with a fellow football chairman on Saturday. It would be remiss of Mr Beattie not to be considering the business case for a plastic pitch. Given that we don't have one and have announced no plans to install one for next season, I think it's safe to say he doesn't think the case has been made yet, but it makes sense to be talking to people who have them and finding out their experience!

Maybe he should just ask one of his players who is now a doubtful starter for the start of NEXT season thanks to that pitch!!

• Like 1

More clubs going artificial will sound the death knell of Scottish Football, which let's face it is already on its knees. Why not invest in a more hardy type of natural grass which I'm sure exists in this day in age. As much as I get the "pitch will get used more if it's artificial" argument, the main priority should always be on the football and creating the best environment for football to be played. There's a ton of other improvements all clubs could make to make the match day experience better and get more fans to attend without destroying the most important thing you need to have to actually play football.

You not reckon that after Saturdays game Les gray would probably say anything to defend his pitch? That's how it looks to me. He actually reveals virtually nothing in terms of what thistles intentions may be. Chairmen will talk.

You not reckon that after Saturdays game Les gray would probably say anything to defend his pitch? That's how it looks to me. He actually reveals virtually nothing in terms of what thistles intentions may be. Chairmen will talk.

He would look a bit of a tit if Beattie came out and denied the story or that he was interested in an AWP for Firhill

You can understand the pitches in the south of England being much better than those in Scotland due to the climate. But how come Newcastle; Sunderland and Manchester are so much better - surely not due to climate ?

You just mentioned three EPL sides - super rich clubs compared to us. I'me sure they can afford the best upkeep possible for thier pitches.

I viewed a house yesterday (someones pride and joy) that had a fantastic view right into the cement factory that fortunately blocked the vista to the quarry but you still make polite conversation before you finish with - NOT INTERESTED.

Now salad and fruit, that's a whole different ball game...

He would look a bit of a tit if Beattie came out and denied the story or that he was interested in an AWP for Firhill

I'm not convinced. A one sided version of a conversation, potentially agenda driven, then reported by the Sun. Just not my idea of reliable information.

I'd be against a plastic pitch, by the way. I thought Saturday's game, and the one at Killie (the draw) were rubbish. I just don't think this story is a fair stick to be beating the Chairman with, at least for now.

I reckon we're pretty lucky. Hibs, St Mirren and Motherwell are all fine examples of what happens when the directors lose interest. And Rangers a fine example of what happens when they don't care about the wellbeing of the club.

The big development in pitch maintenance in the last decade has been the lights they now use to keep the grass growing faster. It means pitches recover quicker between games and it's especially useful in the winter. I worked down at St James Park during the Olympics and they had these lights dotted around the pitch 24/7.

Obviously clubs like us couldn't afford them but what about chipping in for a set with some other clubs and using them for a month at a time throughout the season?

I still don't think the standard of the plastic pitches can rival a really good grass surface. Saturday proved that.

The big development in pitch maintenance in the last decade has been the lights they now use to keep the grass growing faster. It means pitches recover quicker between games and it's especially useful in the winter. I worked down at St James Park during the Olympics and they had these lights dotted around the pitch 24/7.

Obviously clubs like us couldn't afford them but what about chipping in for a set with some other clubs and using them for a month at a time throughout the season?

I still don't think the standard of the plastic pitches can rival a really good grass surface. Saturday proved that.

The trouble is that every club that chips in would need them at the same time, and the lecky bill.