What's The Point

Jago1953

Full SPFL odds from Ladbrokes:

Premiership: Celtic 1/20, Aberdeen 12/1, Hearts 50/1, Inverness C.T. 80/1, Dundee Utd 100/1, St Johnstone 125/1, Dundee 200/1, Motherwell 350/1, Partick 350/1,Ross County 350/1, Hamilton 500/1, Kilmarnock 500/1.

Championship: Rangers 10/11
; Hibernian 11/5
, St Mirren 10/3
, Queen of the South1 4/1
, Falkirk 16/1
, Morton 33/1

, Raith 33/1
, Dumbarton 50/1

, Livingston 50/1

, Alloa 66/1.

League One: Cowdenbeath 4/1; Dunfermline 4/1, Ayr 4/1, Stranraer 9/2, Forfar 5/1, Brechin 7/1,Airdrieonians 11/1, Peterhead 12/1, Stenhousemuir 25/1, Albion 25/1.

League Two: Clyde7/2; East Fife 4/1, Queens Park 4/1, Stirling Albion 4/1, Arbroath 4/1,

Annan Athletic 8/1, Berwick 12/1, Elgin 14/1, East Stirling 25/1, Montrose 25/1.

Thought we'd be rank outsiders but the bookies obviously fancy us more than Killie and Hamilton. Which is nice.

The League has been won by either Celtic or Rangers for the last 30 years. With their business partner's spectacular demise, Celtic can canter to win the one-horse race every season...winning the League is not really much of an achievement for them and nobody else much cares.

I'm not a betting man but I think I would be looking for odds more like 120/1 (or maybe even 1200/1) before I would be tempted to put money on Aberdeen or any other team. Unless the SPFL actually enforce the rule about deducting points for sectarian/offensive chants, I don't see anyone but Celtic winning the League.

Edited by Winter of '63

I believe it was Billy Dodds who once said "As far as I can discern, the sole purpose of the SPFL premiership is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being". I don't think anything has changed.

Might explain why Doomcaster has had so much trouble getting a sponsor. Probably put too much emphasis on the football angle.

Last night watching panorama with the Salazar drugs allegations and thinking about the corruption at FIFA made me wonder what the point in sport in general is to be honest.

As a Jags fan is all about masochism, as a H*n the "orange order" and as a tim the "IRA".................................hope that answers the question !!

and all this is why the MSM (as well as our great football administrators - and no doubt club chairmen as well) will tell you every day non-stop and as loudly as they can that we need Rangers back in the top league to create competition (though they didn't bleat about this when the old club was winning 9-in-a-row (paid for with other people's money) and Celtic were really poor).

Maybe the MSM should campaign for OF money to be taxed and hived off to other clubs to create a challenge. After all it's all about competition and having a league worth watching isn't it?

In fact if you follow any club outside the top handful in almost any league you don't care about competition - except the competition that affects your own club. Like staying up, getting a good cup run, maybe get new high position if you have a good year. Especially when in many leagues there are clubs backed by big money sugar-daddies, huge TV deals and (uniquely I believe) a history of bigotry which has given them a huge country wide support they wouldn't have had if their clubs hadn't developed on the back of it.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 4

It gives you something to do on a Saturday.

Hijacking the thread on a different topic... but this is why I oppose summer football, when there are other things to do on a Saturday.

if it wasn't for winter football I'd never get out the house. That would be even more depressing than Thistle's recent winter form.

At 12/1 we can bankrupt the bookies if Aberdeen win it

A most obvious nod to Jean-Paul Sartre there, Norge. :thumbsup2:

Reminds slightly of the swiftest ripostes from John Colquhoun when pressed under typical Archie McPherson forensic questioning...."I am responsible for everything except my very responsibility, for I am not the foundation of my being." I can well remember thinking to myself, a grand answer there, John, considering you're such a tit.

• Like 1

A most obvious nod to Jean-Paul Sartre there, Norge. :thumbsup2:

Reminds slightly of the swiftest ripostes from John Colquhoun when pressed under typical Archie McPherson forensic questioning...."I am responsible for everything except my very responsibility, for I am not the foundation of my being." I can well remember thinking to myself, a grand answer there, John, considering you're such a tit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Proper good chuckle was that.

Suddenly, the whole thread has become clear. The point is, the banter.

When we finally beat the Hoops again you will see the point.

When Celtic lose to Derry City in the champions league qualifier

When Hibs win the league and Hamilton beat Rangers 6-1 in the play offs

etc

Thistle have never won the league and never will yet many thousands have followed them 139 years.