Match Day Experience

BowenBoys

I heard today that the club are looking at ways to improve and extend the match day experience. Possibly including live music performances.

More out of the box thinking from the club. What has induced this epiphany?

Who would you like to see performing on the pitch before the game?

Also hear that Kingsley has joined The Yellow Movement. Might be a clue to which band the club have been talking to.

How about SAHB's Faith Healer to announce Kingsley's entrance onto the pitch?

That creepy ominous throb would start the congregational clapping (as on the SAHB live album). Can't see him prancing around on the pitch, he could just coolly strut his stuff in front of the north and Jackie Husband stands, highfive-ing his adoring flock! Instead of arriving 2 mins before the kick-off, you could get people in twenty minutes early to watch the spectacle! How about a local 'Zal' type guitarist each match to blast out the 3 note riff? Mid-week night matches with light show? The away support's reaction could also be hysterical. Maybe getting carried away here, the actual match would probably never live up to it!!!.

• Like 1

We're getting complimented on trying something different and unique, with one article I read suggesting that our board have listened to Barry Hearn's advice and not simply plodded along like Scottish football has been doing for many years in a death march. Saying good grief about live music suggests you agree with the dinosaurs. If the live music I'd pre match, it won't affect the dinosaurs anyway as they only arrive at 3.05 whereas kids or families who we want to encourage are often there early and entertainment would suit them.

• Like 1

Who would you like to see performing on the pitch before the game?

It depends on what we are wanting to achieve. If the idea is to sell out the ground then have One Direction or Take That and we wouldn't have a seat unsold.

If it's something I want to listen to then a bit of Public Service Broadcasting would have me in early

If it's something realistic then I have no idea about the current Glasgow scene.

• Like 1

Was there not something done previously like this? Think it was called the Firhill Music Collective or something similar?! (perhaps I've made this up?)

I know it wasn't run by the club but how succesful was it?

Perhaps if they set up a stage outside the JH with some food stalls, beer tents etc then they could be on to something. Sadly I can't see the authorities going for this....

i think there should be something like a crossbar challenge with the fans at half time or a fan v fan penalty shoot out, instead of the 'wheel the auld timer oot' for a chat.

Can't say I mind the ex player coming out and doing the draw but I doubt I've ever heard more than three or four sentences of chat in the last three or four years. Either I'm getting extremely corn beef or something is seriously wrong with the sound system.

I suppose you have to differentiate between matchday experience and putting extra bums on seats. The glass half empty side of me would question whether a fan crossbar challenge or fan penalty shoot out would add anything to the gate. That said I'm absolutely disinterested with the status quo of a combination of incoherent interview and our version of St Albion Parish News. So anything has to be an improvement and it's all the wee things like fan involvement (penalty shoot outs, whatever) that could contribute to the overall matchday experience.

Can't say I mind the ex player coming out and doing the draw but I doubt I've ever heard more than three or four sentences of chat in the last three or four years. Either I'm getting extremely corn beef or something is seriously wrong with the sound system.

I suppose you have to differentiate between matchday experience and putting extra bums on seats. The glass half empty side of me would question whether a fan crossbar challenge or fan penalty shoot out would add anything to the gate. That said I'm absolutely disinterested with the status quo of a combination of incoherent interview and our version of St Albion Parish News. So anything has to be an improvement and it's all the wee things like fan involvement (penalty shoot outs, whatever) that could contribute to the overall matchday experience.

Yeah... it's a tough balance.

It's good to engage and diversify when times tough and I'm glad the club recognise they could be doing more. I reckon pre match entertainment and activities could be beneficial and rally interest from bored or skeptical fans. But innovative and experimantal ideas on a budget can lead to good intentions being ridiculed.

I hope they take their time and give any new projects or initiatives not just their best shot but a decent shot at success and sustainability.

.. :thinking: ...Turn the Bing scaffold advertising into a sponsored stage. Enough sponsorship to provide a Jumbo-tron big screen and decent P.A? Have a 1hour long Jags radio pre match build up streamed live on t'internet from the Bing stage, interviews, music, bands...Lance Gilmour and the rest do a good job... let them flourish and grow...... show them off a bit instead of being a distant dot on the halfway line with a shite muffled mic ..... .... .. . oh and some Pyrotechnics and smoke bombs as the teams come out.....

Yeah... it's a tough balance.

It's good to engage and diversify when times tough and I'm glad the club recognise they could be doing more. I reckon pre match entertainment and activities could be beneficial and rally interest from bored or skeptical fans. But innovative and experimantal ideas on a budget can lead to good intentions being ridiculed.

I hope they take their time and give any new projects or initiatives not just their best shot but a decent shot at success and sustainability.

.. :thinking: ...Turn the Bing scaffold advertising into a sponsored stage. Enough sponsorship to provide a Jumbo-tron big screen and decent P.A? Have a 1hour long Jags radio pre match build up streamed live on t'internet from the Bing stage, interviews, music, bands...Lance Gilmour and the rest do a good job... let them flourish and grow...... show them off a bit instead of being a distant dot on the halfway line with a shite muffled mic ..... .... .. . oh and some Pyrotechnics and smoke bombs as the teams come out.....

This. Get Kingsley to make the bing his own stage. Let's have fireworks as soon as the final whistle blows on a win. Let's have flame throwers shooting into the sky when the teams come out. Let's have The Crazy World of Arthur Brown's "Fire."

• Like 1

No you're not going deaf M'lady. Firhill must have one of the worst PA systems in Scotland. Like you, I see no point in having someone "famous" to do the half-time draw when it's almost impossible to hear them (in common with team announcements, scorers, next match arrangements, h-t scores etc etc etc).

Being of a certain vintage, I like to see if I can identify ex-players who do the h-t draw - many were my boyhood heroes - but I do wonder what youngsters make of it. Does it mean anything to them at all? Also, in a sad sort of a way, I think it's sometimes better to remember ex-players as they were in their playing days.

Edited by a f kincaid

No you're not going deaf M'lady. Firhill must have one of the worst PA systems in Scotland. Like you, I see no point in having someone "famous" to do the half-time draw when it's almost impossible to hear them (in common with team announcements, scorers, next match arrangements, h-t scores etc etc etc).

Being of a certain vintage, I like to see if I can identify ex-players who do the h-t draw - may were my boyhood heroes - but I do wonder what youngsters make of it. Does it mean anything to them at all? Also, in a sad sort of a way, I think it's sometimes better to remember ex-players as they were in their playing days.

I know what you mean. It's great to see the old idols, but sometimes before the player is announced I try and try to recognise who it might be, to no avail. Then the name comes out (if I can hear it), and with some effort I can sometimes (but not always) see some vague resemblance between this middle-aged or elderly man and my memory of a young and superbly fit hero from my boyhood or student days. I'm sure that I actually get a few more grey hairs every time it happens.

Having live music on a football pitch is always an absolute nightmare for everyone involved. You're at the mercy of the weather which could potentially result in damaged equipment or electrocution. It's also notoriously difficult to get the sound right, especially for drums. Add in our shocking PA system and it all points to a complete disaster. My advice as someone who has a fair bit of experience in live music would be AVOID.

• Like 1

Having taken in a game in Germany, thy do it better than anyone.

Just outside the turnstiles thy had tons of stalls all selling beer, hotdogs an club merchandise. There was even a live band playing there too.

After the game ended, everyone stayed on to take in the atmosphere outside the ground. We may have left around 2 hours after FT having taken in a fair few beers n hotdogs.

Smashing atmosphere. For the regulars, I understood it to be an almost social habit that they all stayed on after the match.

I know st mirren trailed something similar last season which I think was successful. Something that could maybe set up outside the jackie husband stand?????

• Like 1

Long been extremely doubtful of the financial viability of the Aitken Suite. The turnover of the premises based solely on immediately before and after 20-22 matches a year will only be a fraction of the poorest of public houses that will be open for business probably well over fifty times longer. There's little commercial leeway making the place busier during the hours it's presently open as it would simply get too uncomfortable and take too long to get served.

The best way, probably the only way, to make the place profitable is to extend the opening times and get custom in earlier and later during these 20-22 matchdays. To achieve that the Club would need to provide some sort of entertainment without incurring too much expense. No easy challenge but the one thing the Club has that most pubs won't have is a few thousand folk milling about the area. I've no specific ideas as such as to how we can capitalise on this by both improving the matchday experience and making the Aitken Suite a viable business in its own right.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's hope it's a step up from last night's 'experience'. My father brought in a small plastic bottle of water, to take his essential medication during the match. I was looking the other way, so didn't see this happen. Just noticed a steward (one of the ones in the away bit), walking away with the small bottle. My dad was confused, but said the guy just grabbed it off him and walked away. No explanation, no offer of a cup, just grabbing a bottle from a pensioner and walking away. Another steward mentioned in passing that water was available at the kiosk, after a long wait and at a price of £1.50.

Add that to there being no concession price offered last night, and the pre season experience left a bit of a sour taste.

Let's hope it's a step up from last night's 'experience'. My father brought in a small plastic bottle of water, to take his essential medication during the match. I was looking the other way, so didn't see this happen. Just noticed a steward (one of the ones in the away bit), walking away with the small bottle. My dad was confused, but said the guy just grabbed it off him and walked away. No explanation, no offer of a cup, just grabbing a bottle from a pensioner and walking away. Another steward mentioned in passing that water was available at the kiosk, after a long wait and at a price of £1.50.

Add that to there being no concession price offered last night, and the pre season experience left a bit of a sour taste.

That's poor. A brief explanation and an offer of a cup would at least come across as pleasant.

That's disgraceful and unacceptable.

Everyone, irrespective of age, is entitled to be treated with dignity and courtesy whenever they attend a game at Firhill or anywhere else.

If anyone from the club is reading this I hope they make the effort to contact you and your father to apologise for this cardinal example of neanderthal treatment of paying fans. It's treatment like this that drives people away from football.

Hope your father wasn't too shaken by the incident.

• Like 1

Utter disgrace. Have to say the G4S stewards in the North Stand were very good last season so very disappointing to hear this story. I would strongly advise you to email the club about this. Our crowds are bad enough as it is without this sort of treatment.

That's disgraceful and unacceptable.

Everyone, irrespective of age, is entitled to be treated with dignity and courtesy whenever they attend a game at Firhill or anywhere else.

If anyone from the club is reading this I hope they make the effort to contact you and your father to apologise for this cardinal example of neanderthal treatment of paying fans. It's treatment like this that drives people away from football.

Hope your father wasn't too shaken by the incident.

^^^^^ this in it's entirety

as for the first four words emboldened ..... if a supporter acts in a disgraceful and unacceptable manner, the club has the right to eject and bar the offender from firhill ..... i would hope in light of this incident, while it is unlikely the offending steward may be able to be identified (unless paulo took note of stewards jacket number), that the club inform g4s that any future reports of disgraceful and unacceptable behaviour such as this, would result in ptfc barring such offenders from working at firhill, and this be communicated to their employees as part of all future pre match briefings.

stewards who treat paying supporters with such disregard and disdain should not be welcomed at firhill. can't have it one way only.

• Like 1

Saturday at Falkirk was poor as well. I don't know if it happened to everyone but frisking was being carried out routinely and rather robustly. I was told if I refused to be searched then I would be refused entry. I can imagine they were using us as a training exercise in the knowledge they'll have sevco and Hibs support to contend with, but over zealous stewarding at such a low key match, a friendly for ****s sake, is OTT.