Who Are The Strikers, Out There?

potty trained

Not feeling edgy, but I would like to see another two in. Archie has conducted good business before, after the season has started, so not too perturbed just now, however a defeat on Saturday might just bring the doubters to the fore again. With the next game against Celtic, it would be an awful start if we get nothing at Hamilton. We have a pretty strong squad but we are deffo lacking up front

• Like 1

I have to admit I'm feeling a wee bit edgy now. With only four days to go before the start of the season we are lacking in depth. I fear the predictions of many fellow SPFL fans saying that we will be near the drop zone will ring true without at least three or four new faces. Still four weeks until the end of the window, but with the exception of Killie, I think other teams have inveseted well in this window.

We are not going to get 3 or 4, as we are only looking for 2 - a striker and a wing player

I think we have ****** it again regards the striker issue, every season it seems to be the same old failings and people may call others a knicker wetter for it but how hard is it to get one striker from thousands released around the world. I can see us signing Miller who Livi turned down as some sort of panic measure.

• Like 1

I think we have ****** it again regards the striker issue, every season it seems to be the same old failings and people may call others a knicker wetter for it but how hard is it to get one striker from thousands released around the world. I can see us signing Miller who Livi turned down as some sort of panic measure.

We could easily sign a striker in the next hour from the thousands released around the world. It's about quality - we can only judge that when we see who we bring in.

Could it be the case that we're setting the bar too high with strikers? For example we've signed Cerny, is he really so much better than Gal and Scully?, is Miller better than Elliott and is Amoo better than Lawless/Elliot? Archie is always stating he will only sign players who are better than what we have, yet we find ourselves with one striker going into the new season. I don't know whether he just doesn't want to end up with another John Baird and Mukendi scenario where he's basically wasted 2 wages and is too hesitant to sign someone in such an important position or whether we are so skint that we can only afford the dregs of players! Probably a bit of both! Would anyone take Antoine Curier? He would offer us something different and scored goals in the league last year for Hamilton.

Edited by jags on tour

We could easily sign a striker in the next hour from the thousands released around the world. It's about quality - we can only judge that when we see who we bring in.

He has had all summer but like last he wasted time with Taylor and had no other options, cue Alabi coming in and being pants (at least he realised that). But he obviously had no backup plan. It is like when we lost sinclair he wasted two seasons trying to find a left back and now he has wasted two seasons trying to find a striker. Wouldn't surprise me if he is waiting until January to try and get taylor back again

Edited by Pinhead

He has had all summer but like last he wasted time with Taylor and had no other options, cue Alabi coming in and being pants (at least he realised that). But he obviously had no backup plan. It is like when we lost Taylor he wasted two seasons trying to find a left back and now he has wasted two seasons trying to find a striker. Wouldn't surprise me if he is waiting until January to try and get taylor back again

Just because no one has been signed does not mean that there was no back up plan.

He has had all summer but like last he wasted time with Taylor and had no other options, cue Alabi coming in and being pants (at least he realised that). But he obviously had no backup plan. It is like when we lost sinclair he wasted two seasons trying to find a left back and now he has wasted two seasons trying to find a striker. Wouldn't surprise me if he is waiting until January to try and get taylor back again

What makes you say he had no other options?

The club are doing the best they can to bring a striker of reasonable quality in for the money they have at their disposal. There is nobody more frustrated than the manager at the lack of a signing. It is not for the want of trying.

Yes, the season starts on Saturday but we still have five weeks until the window shuts. There will be plenty movement towards the end of August and I for one would rather he was patient and brought in the right player than sign someone for the sake of it.

What are you basing us signing Miller on? Absolutely nothing?

It's like buying a house. There's a chain. Folks need to calm down and get a grip

Dundee Utd are taking Liam Henderson on loan. We might be about to get a break...

Henderson is a midfielder not a striker I thought? If it's Anier who your hoping for we will need to see fairly good at motherwell but seems to have done little at United

But I think one of the points being raised is that people are sceptical when Archie says he won’t sign players for the sake of it and he’d rather play the waiting game, as Archie’s record of doing that has been questionable. For the last couple of seasons he has used the same line, and yet panic signings like Henoc Mukendi, Nathan Eccleston, Jake O’Carroll and Ben-Richard Everton have had to be made to cover key positions. The thing that all these signings have in common was that they were all made in the final weeks, and in Eccleston’s case, the final day of the transfer window.

I will admit that some of these signings were loan deals of perhaps smaller cost to the club, and Archie has always been quick in releasing players that aren’t up to the task (Kerr, Baird etc.), but all at considerable cost to the club I would think.

In my opinion we are quite a bit weaker than last season. I don’t think Miller is a better player than O’Donnell, we still don’t have cover for Balatoni, we haven’t found a suitable replacement for Taylor despite the fact it was becoming obvious that he wasn’t going to be here this season and we are still short a wide-player, and hoping that Welsh is going to stay fit.

We have the lowest playing budget in the division unfortunately, but there are teams in similar financial situations who on the face of it have invested well. I still think Archie will get one or two more in, but I just can’t see us doing anything else this season but trying to avoid the play-offs.

• Like 1

. We have a pretty strong squad but we are deffo lacking up front

I think we have ****** it again regards the striker issue, every season it seems to be the same old failings ..... how hard is it to get one striker

Could it be the case that we're setting the bar too high with strikers? ..... such an important position ..... we can only afford the dregs of players!

He has had all summer but like last he wasted time with Taylor and had no other options, ..... he obviously had no backup plan ..... and now he has wasted two seasons trying to find a striker.

The club are doing the best they can to bring a striker of reasonable quality in for the money they have at their disposal. There is nobody more frustrated than the manager at the lack of a signing. It is not for the want of trying ..... I for one would rather he was patient and brought in the right player than sign someone for the sake of it.

oh go on then. to get peace on forum, and to bail archie out, i'll sign as a striker for thistle. twenty five goals easy.

• Like 1

I don't know whether he just doesn't want to end up with another John Baird and Mukendi scenario where he's basically wasted 2 wages

One wage. Mukendi was a freebie. I suppose Liverpool should really have been paying us but there you go.

Wee Baird failed to make the step up a division. He's dropped back down and is doing fairly well. That happens all the time and I'm not qualified to make judgements. For instance I thought Muirhead was a cert to excel and Conrad would struggle big time. McGuigan initially looked to me a better signing than Craigen.

Anyway it's the same every year. This time last season we were knicker wetting over the lack of a left back and it turned out McMillan was exceptional on the park and, even when Jordan imploded, Elliott never let us down. You never know we might have an unsung goal hero within our midst as it is. My late mother used to say "what's for you will no go by you". In truth I never really understood that expression but in this instance perhaps it makes a wee bit more sense.

But I think one of the points being raised is that people are sceptical when Archie says he won’t sign players for the sake of it and he’d rather play the waiting game, as Archie’s record of doing that has been questionable. For the last couple of seasons he has used the same line, and yet panic signings like Henoc Mukendi, Nathan Eccleston, Jake O’Carroll and Ben-Richard Everton have had to be made to cover key positions. The thing that all these signings have in common was that they were all made in the final weeks, and in Eccleston’s case, the final day of the transfer window.

I will admit that some of these signings were loan deals of perhaps smaller cost to the club, and Archie has always been quick in releasing players that aren’t up to the task (Kerr, Baird etc.), but all at considerable cost to the club I would think.

In my opinion we are quite a bit weaker than last season. I don’t think Miller is a better player than O’Donnell, we still don’t have cover for Balatoni, we haven’t found a suitable replacement for Taylor despite the fact it was becoming obvious that he wasn’t going to be here this season and we are still short a wide-player, and hoping that Welsh is going to stay fit.

We have the lowest playing budget in the division unfortunately, but there are teams in similar financial situations who on the face of it have invested well. I still think Archie will get one or two more in, but I just can’t see us doing anything else this season but trying to avoid the play-offs.

Lindsay is the replacement for Balatoni.

Although I don't agree with your assessment, I must say that's a very reasoned post which makes some good points.

We have Seaborne and Frans, who would have most likely started even if Conrad signed a new deal here, and we've got Lindsay and Hendry as cover at CB.

So what's the deal with Seaborne? How long is this injury likely to keep him out? Is it the same as last season's?

Frans & Balatoni steadied the ship in the defence after a number of defeats. Shameful that many thought (& still think) after last season Seaborne, including his flimsy tights, is/was a better option

than Balatoni.

The 2 young boys have potential & if Seaborne's injuries continue then we'll have to rely a lot on them this season.

On that note, disappointed to learn young Lindsay only has a year left on his contract.

oh go on then. to get peace on forum, and to bail archie out, i'll sign as a striker for thistle. twenty five goals easy.

Yoda, you are burying your head in the sand if you think we are not lacking up front. I am hopeful Archie will get it sorted but as of this minute I don't think anyone can deny that fact that we need another one or two in,up front.