Sportscene

angry gaz

• Members

Like most places in those days there wasn't as much segregation as there is nowadays, north stander. The majority of jags fans that day were housed in the enclosure. During all the years I have gone to that cesspit to support the team, I have been in practically every part of their ground

Yep, I can remember a few years prior to that again at a near empty Ibrox in what would have been the traditional Rangers end, Thistle scored to equalise and my Brother and I celebrating as you do then looking round to see everyone else about drawing us daggers! :) To be fair, not a word was said to us considering the end we were in. That wouldn't happen nowadays! Wouldn't want to be anywhere else other than with the Thistle support these days anyway!

Asking 2 ex-Rangers players for their objective view on whether trophies should be forfeited for cheating !!??

Plus no thought of their own - the exact same arguments in almost exactly the same words as in the SMSM. "Trophies were won on the park". Duh! But the key players on the park without which they almost certainly wouldn't have been won were only there because of cheating.

To add another point. Rangers knew their EBTs were being used wrongly so they lied to the SFA and SPL and mis-registered players. Small clubs have been thrown out of competitions in the past because they mis-registered one player (e.g. not putting in a date) - not reporting the real payment of players is a far worse offence and they did in on a large scale.

In fact the Lord Nimmo Smith enquiry found Oldco guilty of mis-registering players and fined them £250K (still not paid). He decided - due to the SFA withholding evidence from him and making stupid statements about being unable to apply sporting sanctions after the event (huh??).

Edited by Mr Bunny

Plus no thought of their own - the exact same arguments in almost exactly the same words as in the SMSM. "Trophies were won on the park". Duh! But the key players on the park without which they almost certainly wouldn't have been won were only there because of cheating.

To add another point. Rangers knew their EBTs were being used wrongly so they lied to the SFA and SPL and mis-registered players. Small clubs have been thrown out of competitions in the past because they mis-registered one player (e.g. not putting in a date) - not reporting the real payment of players is a far worse offence and they did in on a large scale.

In fact the Lord Nimmo Smith enquiry found Oldco guilty of mis-registering players and fined them £250K (still not paid). He decided - due to the SFA withholding evidence from him and making stupid statements about being unable to apply sporting sanctions after the event (huh??).

Was cringing at that "discussion" last night, course they were won on the park!!that's not the Q - it's the quality of player available due to being able to "afford" them and how they were able to afford them that people are challenging!

Anyway, more importantly that highlights programme is brutal...can't help looking through rose tinted specs and wishing we had some of the blokes from the past commentating and presenting.

I don't really understand why it is so bad. Something that MotD do really well is turn games into stories, so even sh*** games look ok. That would have been easy to do with our game at the weekend. It's even easier given that there is over 24 hours to prepare it. Next, it's clear that the pundits don't know every player on every team. Isn't that the most important part of their job?

Was cringing at that "discussion" last night, course they were won on the park!!that's not the Q - it's the quality of player available due to being able to "afford" them and how they were able to afford them that people are challenging!

Anyway, more importantly that highlights programme is brutal...can't help looking through rose tinted specs and wishing we had some of the blokes from the past commentating and presenting.

Steven Thompson "who was there at the time".... No Jonathan. An accurate description would be "EBT recipient".

I don't really understand why it is so bad. Something that MotD do really well is turn games into stories, so even sh*** games look ok. That would have been easy to do with our game at the weekend. It's even easier given that there is over 24 hours to prepare it. Next, it's clear that the pundits don't know every player on every team. Isn't that the most important part of their job?

It's completely down to

a) The attitude of the BBC which (even though they are paid out of our taxes) thinks that anything Scottish is 3rd or 4th rate so don't bother putting any thought or effort into it.

b} Nothing matters to them in football up here except the old firm. It is the only story they understand (or think they do, the bigotry underpinning it is not understood or ignored)

c) the incestuous way both the BBC and Scottish football works so that only old pals get the nod - so it's hard for anyone with something different to offer to get a chance.

There are probably more reasons but they are the big ones I think.

Edit: looks like I should have used square bracket for b]

Edited by Willjag

It's completely down to

a) The attitude of the BBC which (even though they are paid out of our taxes) thinks that anything Scottish is 3rd or 4th rate so don't bother putting any thought or effort into it.

b} Nothing matters to them in football up here except the old firm. It is the only story they understand (or think they do, the bigotry underpinning it is not understood or ignored)

c) the incestuous way both the BBC and Scottish football works so that only old pals get the nod - so it's hard for anyone with something different to offer to get a chance.

There are probably more reasons but they are the big ones I think.

Edit: looks like I should have used square bracket for b]

Totally ruined the post.

• 4 months later...

Don't often watch. Every time I do, I remember why. Absolutely terrible programme.

Both the match coverage and the studio elements seem to be intent on removing all the excitement from the sport. That section where they stand by a screen with arrows is laughable.

Mind numbingly dull.

• Like 1

As Twinny said a while back, they don't seem to get how you can make a match interesting by creating a story. Our match had a player getting injured in the warm up (with his natural replacement missing due to bereavement), players being shuffled about at the last minute and struggling to adjust - then the manager swaps a few things around and a 1-0 deficit is turned into a 2-1 win. How can you fail to make a good story out of that. Work for Scotsport I suppose.

Yes, read twinny's post this morning. He's right and so in this instance are you. Not just a good story but essential information to explain the following coverage. I don't think they send reporters to matches but, as has been said, they could get all the information from the Sunday papers and still have the luxury of many hours to put the show together.

Even when they do "discuss" our game, the emphasis always seems to be on the other team. Generally our games seem to be filmed by the minimum number of cameras and commented on by someone who does not give a toss about us.

Radio Scotland is as bad, we are generally ignored or given the minimum coverage.

When discussing our match, it came to the 'better say something about Thistle' bit.

Don't know the name of the presenter but his question to Nevin was, "What about Thistle? A lot of people thought they would be in trouble this season."

Nevin, with a surprised look, replied, "Not me."

Radio Scotland is as bad, we are generally ignored or given the minimum coverage.

Last season when we were playing Aberdeen away Radio Scotland had the game as their commentary match with Willie Miller as co-commentator. I almost chocked when I heard the bold Willie state "we need to get more balls into their box" So much for famous BBC impartiality :angry::no:

• Like 1

Sportscene really don't have much of an excuse. They have more than adequate time to show all the matches and talk a bit about them. The problem is, they donate half of the run time to talking about Rangers and Celtic, resulting in cramming the other games in to the remaining time.

When discussing our match, it came to the 'better say something about Thistle' bit.

Don't know the name of the presenter but his question to Nevin was, "What about Thistle? A lot of people thought they would be in trouble this season."

Nevin, with a surprised look, replied, "Not me."

MAy17LX.jpg

In response to those responding to my previous post. I was thinking about this topic at the weekend. Match of the day is a well produced programme, the pundits spend the whole day watching matches and picking out what they like, what they don't like, what they want to highlight, etc. Sportscene's pundits are very often involved in matches on the day (eg Thompson), so cannot possibly have seen the full matches. This is a clear demonstration of the jobs for the boys in club approach and contempt for Scottish football.

In response to those responding to my previous post. I was thinking about this topic at the weekend. Match of the day is a well produced programme, the pundits spend the whole day watching matches and picking out what they like, what they don't like, what they want to highlight, etc. Sportscene's pundits are very often involved in matches on the day (eg Thompson), so cannot possibly have seen the full matches. This is a clear demonstration of the jobs for the boys in club approach and contempt for Scottish football.

Sorry, you'll need to expand on why this demonstrates a contempt for sale ottish football.

By the way, you probably shouldn't have used Thompson for your point, seen as he's probably the best pundit they have.