Versus Aberdeen

Dark Passenger

Whether we win, lose or draw I want to see an improvement on the last few performances. The rot can't be allowed to set before the break.

Cerny

Hendry

Seabourne

Lindsay

Miller

Welsh

Bannigan

Booth

Lawless

Doolan

Seaborne....really! Thought he was shocking last night. If Hendry is still here I would rather run with the two boys!

Cerny.

Miller - Frans - Lindsay - Booth

Osman

Fraser - Bannigan

McDaid Lawless

Pogba

Cerny picks himself, he's been our best player so far. Think last night proved that Frans is better than Seaborne definitively, and I personally prefer Lindsay to Hendry so I'd go with that back two. Miller seems to be getting an awful lot of stick, not entirely sure why as I don't think he's done an awful lot wrong. He's not great going forward but he's relatively solid at the back and there was one play he defended superbly last night IMO (Falkirk breaking with about 4 players on 2 from a corner). Booth was shocking last night, but we don't have any options. Osman needs to be told to win the ball and then give it to someone as soon as he can, he's far too ponderous and it slows down play too much. Fraser was alright last night, I'd give him another go, Bannigan is guarenteed a start if he's avaliable so he'll play, and his linking play is important anyway. Our wingers have all been shite so far, with Lawless the least bad so start him, and McDaid has shown a willingness to run at people akd looked good whenever he's played so give him a run out. Play Pogba up front. Definitely need his physical presence and he'll cause Aberdeen far more problems than Doolan would.

Whether we win, lose or draw I want to see an improvement on the last few performances. The rot can't be allowed to set before the break.

Cerny

Hendry

Seabourne

Lindsay

Miller

Welsh

Bannigan

Booth

Lawless

Doolan

we starting the game with only ten players?

:crazy:

certainly a new tactic.

(or not really, as we're well used to playing with ten men, either through a sending off or someone being waste of a jersey (that player can change from game to game))

Will Saturday be the first time that the size of the away support is bigger than the home support (other than games against the ugly sisters)?

Also, I'll be expecting the announcer to especially thank the Thistle fans for turning up.

Edited by Big Col

AA's reaction (from the club website): "We'll take it back to basics for the rest of the week, work on what we know we're good at and try to build some confidence back up in the camp."

Is that enough? My suspicion is that it's time for the other side of managing - anger rather than nurturing. There's a place for both, of course, but two dismal performances in a row suggest that something different is needed from the management team.

Cerny

Hendry

Seabourne

Lindsay

Miller

Welsh

Osman

Bannigan

Booth

Lawless

Doolan

I wouldn't have a problem going with this but I can't see the manager changing the system.

The Aberdeen game I think we'll see the same system with personnel changing.

However if it doesn't work Saturday I'd hope that during the international break they look at trying something different system wise!

Back to basics for me . Lawless and Wilson for pace. Lindsay to bring the ball from defence. Pogba because the only results we got from Aberdeen came with the strength of Taylor up front. Assuming Welsh is injured

Cerny

Miller

Booth

Frans

Lindsay

Banzo

Osman

Lawless

Stevo

Wilson

Pogba

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

Perhaps it's worth looking at it the other way round: what would you not do?

Put out the core of a team that is desperately slow: Seabourne, Osman, Stevenson and Pogba should accomplish that.

Encourage fullbacks to overlap but don't tell midfielders that their task is to cover for the fullbacks when they're attacking. Either that or play midfielders that are not capable of covering for fullbacks: Lawless is a good bet, since he doesn't have the legs to cover ground or the muscle to tackle. Osman can help by being too slow to get there in time to cover the space, but if he does then that leaves a nice gap for attacking forwards to shoot from the centre.

Play two wingers as if it's all our yesteryears (perhaps two wingers that are more comfortable on the same side of the park), and encourage them to put high crosses into the penalty box for 5 feet 7 inch Doolan; if possible, ensure that the crosses go behind him so that his back is always to goal. After all, he has shown he can manage a backheel to score when there's no support. A useful variant is punting the ball up the wings for Doolan to collect, so that he busts a gut bringing the ball under control but is then isolated on the wing with no support and two defenders to beat. See slow midfielders for the inability to be there to receive a pass from him.

When losing, forebear from changing anything until 10 minutes into the second half, by which time the pattern is set and young substitutes can be confused by sending them on without instructions about where to position themselves or how to combine with others in the team.

Just avoiding all those might even result in a few attempts on goal.

• Like 1

We had a game against Dundee Utd last season at Firhill (Friday night if my mind serves me correctly).

Playing side was decimated due to illness and we had to field youngsters.

They played the best 45 minutes I've seen for a long time and we were 2 up at half time. Gene finished 2-2 which was a good result considering Utd were still at full strength with Armstrong and Mackay Stevens.

Why not do the same on Saturday? Would give the so called experienced players a kick up the ar5e and show them that they're not immune from being dropped.

We had a game against Dundee Utd last season at Firhill (Friday night if my mind serves me correctly).

Playing side was decimated due to illness and we had to field youngsters.

They played the best 45 minutes I've seen for a long time and we were 2 up at half time. Gene finished 2-2 which was a good result considering Utd were still at full strength with Armstrong and Mackay Stevens.

Why not do the same on Saturday? Would give the so called experienced players a kick up the ar5e and show them that they're not immune from being dropped.

The dominant premise of your post is sound and I agree with it.

BUT the game you refer to was on Sunday 4th January and we were never 2 up because Gary Mackay-Stevens scored after 4 minutes, a feat against us that he bettered by some 3 minutes and 20 seconds early in February.

A. Pedant

Edited by Barney Rubble

Don't agree with every one of the selections Fearchar, but that's a well reasoned and constructive post.

The sort of thing I didn't have the enthusiasm to type out just yet.

Thanks. I would probably play two of them, but all four together would be suicidal, and there are sound arguments for minimising lack of pace - as Falkirk showed last night.

Cerny

Hendry

Seabourne

Lindsay

Miller

Welsh

Osman

Bannigan

Booth

Lawless

Doolan

5 defenders and a defensive midfielder when we have a problem scoring goals.