Versus Aberdeen

Dark Passenger

Better than Hearts and Falkirk but still not good enough. Thought McDaid had a good first half, Pogba got himself about well and that was probably Miller's best game in a Thistle top so far. Other than that, we are toothless going forward. Welsh isn't the link between the midfield and the striker, he's not an attacking midfielder. On current form, Welsh and Bannigan are the two centre midfielders we should be starting with. Osman has not been at the races so far. Heads seemed to go down after the first goal, which was as blatant a handball as you're ever going to see. Highlight was the Aberdeen fans foaming at the mouth when the guy gave them a GIRFUY at half time. Total heads gone stuff.

Priority before the window shuts needs to be a central attacking midfielder who can bring the ball forward from midfield with pace and link up with the striker, and a backup fullback.

Both Bannigan and Abdul were disappointing today. The freekick by Bannigan in the first half was shocking as was the second freekick we had in that half. Against a team like Aberdeen you dont get that many chances got to make them work. The freekick by Stevenson later in the second half was far far better and we nearly got a goal out of it.

The lads need to work on this.

Good away support.

McDaid was not man of the match, but I dont really agree with the jeering and laughing as he's a young lad and not to sure if he heard the ridicule but if he did maybe not great for his confidence

Thought we paid them way too much respect first 35 minutes, just sat off them and watched them pass it about, they didn't really trouble us in that spell, a few comfortable Cerny saves, but first clear cut chance of the game should have been buried by Welsh just after half time.

Thought Rooney's goal could've been disallowed for handball but I'd need to see it again.

Be interested to see the stats on teams who've scored as few goals as us in opening fixtures then going on to stay up.

Too many players off the boil and not affecting the game positively. Pogba looked good, other than that little to shout about.

Ozzie and Welsh both want too much time on the ball, for me one of them has to be bench for another forward thinking player. We did fine last year with Ozzy and Bannigan in midfield, and someone in the hole, I don't see why we're having to accomodate Welsh, I like him as a player but we've adapted the system to accomodate him and it's resulted in every game I've been to in the lone striker being hopelessly isolated.

I hate to be the guy to pick an easy target but I'm afraid it's going to take a miracle for me to even consider Declan McDaid as an SPL level footballer, he just does nothing but run about like a wee boy. Must have seen close to 10 hours of him in a jags jersey between his starts and sub appearances, 1 cross at St Mirren which resulted in Elliot's winner is the only positive thing he's done in that time. Never seen him go by a man, play someone in, earn a penalty, force a great save from a keeper. He does zilch. Archie must be raging with Amoo to drop him for McDaid.

And I'm not a moaner, go back and read any of my posts I rarely complain, but this wee guy just is not up to it. Everything breaks down when it comes to him, and on a day like today when Lawless was crap, that amounts to zero creativity when our 2 support options for the striker offer nothing.

As someone else said further up, positive thing is we haven't been cut adrift or anything, international break coming at a good time, hopefully archie can get a signing or 2 in, and get ready for Dundee to try and get the season started.

As above better than against Falkirk but Aberdeen hardly had to move out of second gear. Blatant handball for the first goal but after that the second one was just a matter of time.

Pass marks to Stevie lawless, Miller, Lindsay and hendry. We actually looked reasonably comfortable at the back but it's back to the same old problem of hitting the back of the net.dont understand the point of taking pogba off for Doolan once we were two down. Pogba wins a lot of balls in the air but what's the point when no one is up beside him to collect the knock downs.

Another concern was the complete apathy shown by the crowd, I fear we will go down with a whimper this year unless we see a bit more fight from the team and the fans.

Think your first paragraph there answers itself, we were comfortable sitting off them and letting them knock it round in front of us, they were struggling to create much. We then had two half chances from Welsh and Lindsay before they scored and we could have been looking at a well executed game plan.

Not sure I see as much in Pogba as others, he's clearly got ability but needs to impose himself on centre halves more, referees won't give him too many easy decisions. Lawless was ok, trying things and creating bits of space but he doesn't have much movement around him. Welsh was really poor and I think we need to roll with Bannigan and Osman as the two sitting midfielders for the Dundee game. We really miss Craigen's energy further up the midfield though. McDaid was ok, he tracks back pretty well for a winger but made a bit of a meal of the clearance for their second (although credit for being there in the first place) and is a young guy coming into a team short of confidence, it's a difficult task.

Not a terrible game and again not getting the luck when things aren't going well for us, nowhere near as dismal as some make out.

Both Bannigan and Abdul were disappointing today. The freekick by Bannigan in the first half was shocking as was the second freekick we had in that half. Against a team like Aberdeen you dont get that many chances got to make them work. The freekick by Stevenson later in the second half was far far better and we nearly got a goal out of it.

The lads need to work on this.

Good away support.

McDaid was not man of the match, but I dont really agree with the jeering and laughing as he's a young lad and not to sure if he heard the ridicule but if he did maybe not great for his confidence

The jeering and ridicule was aimed at the sponsors not the player.

It was a total joke though. He offered absolutely nothing. Only Amoo has been a worse passenger this season.

Archie should have hooked him for Wilson. Having seen McDaid in most games he's played, I just don't see him being good enough.

Think your first paragraph there answers itself, we were comfortable sitting off them and letting them knock it round in front of us, they were struggling to create much. We then had two half chances from Welsh and Lindsay before they scored and we could have been looking at a well executed game plan.

Not sure I see as much in Pogba as others, he's clearly got ability but needs to impose himself on centre halves more, referees won't give him too many easy decisions. Lawless was ok, trying things and creating bits of space but he doesn't have much movement around him. Welsh was really poor and I think we need to roll with Bannigan and Osman as the two sitting midfielders for the Dundee game. We really miss Craigen's energy further up the midfield though. McDaid was ok, he tracks back pretty well for a winger but made a bit of a meal of the clearance for their second (although credit for being there in the first place) and is a young guy coming into a team short of confidence, it's a difficult task.

Not a terrible game and again not getting the luck when things aren't going well for us, nowhere near as dismal as some make out.

What he said too ^

Thought we paid them way too much respect first 35 minutes, just sat off them and watched them pass it about, they didn't really trouble us in that spell, a few comfortable Cerny saves, but first clear cut chance of the game should have been buried by Welsh just after half time.

Thought Rooney's goal could've been disallowed for handball but I'd need to see it again.

Be interested to see the stats on teams who've scored as few goals as us in opening fixtures then going on to stay up.

Too many players off the boil and not affecting the game positively. Pogba looked good, other than that little to shout about.

Ozzie and Welsh both want too much time on the ball, for me one of them has to be bench for another forward thinking player. We did fine last year with Ozzy and Bannigan in midfield, and someone in the hole, I don't see why we're having to accomodate Welsh, I like him as a player but we've adapted the system to accomodate him and it's resulted in every game I've been to in the lone striker being hopelessly isolated.

I hate to be the guy to pick an easy target but I'm afraid it's going to take a miracle for me to even consider Declan McDaid as an SPL level footballer, he just does nothing but run about like a wee boy. Must have seen close to 10 hours of him in a jags jersey between his starts and sub appearances, 1 cross at St Mirren which resulted in Elliot's winner is the only positive thing he's done in that time. Never seen him go by a man, play someone in, earn a penalty, force a great save from a keeper. He does zilch. Archie must be raging with Amoo to drop him for McDaid.

And I'm not a moaner, go back and read any of my posts I rarely complain, but this wee guy just is not up to it. Everything breaks down when it comes to him, and on a day like today when Lawless was crap, that amounts to zero creativity when our 2 support options for the striker offer nothing.

As someone else said further up, positive thing is we haven't been cut adrift or anything, international break coming at a good time, hopefully archie can get a signing or 2 in, and get ready for Dundee to try and get the season started.

Agree completely.

Aberdeen weren't troubling us in the 1st half even although they had most of the ball. 2nd half we came out with a bit more aggression and had the couple of chances from Welsh and Lindsay which we need to be putting away. Then the ref intervened to give Aberdeen a goal. That gave them a lift, they got a 2nd and it was all over. McDaid was never man of the match, maybe Lindsay, but to hoot in amusement is not going to help McDaid's confidence. I really wonder at the Jags support sometimes.

Aberdeen weren't troubling us in the 1st half even although they had most of the ball. 2nd half we came out with a bit more aggression and had the couple of chances from Welsh and Lindsay which we need to be putting away. Then the ref intervened to give Aberdeen a goal. That gave them a lift, they got a 2nd and it was all over. McDaid was never man of the match, maybe Lindsay, but to hoot in amusement is not going to help McDaid's confidence. I really wonder at the Jags support sometimes.

Why? Why not have a go at sponsors who were clearly taking the piss?

But the actual performance. What plus points did you tske from it? You were there? Right?

I did foresee this conversation coming.

As you are well aware LSR, I am based in Podgoirca, Montenegro.

My day was spent driving to Ostrog Monastery and thereafter got my backside back down to Podgorica to watch the Chelsea game, because unfortunately, the Jags have yet to find a way, unlike Aberdeen, Falkirk and Raith Rovers, tp stream their games for nomads (another unexploited revenue opportunity).

So, no I was not at Firhill today, and the reasons for that are obvious.

So fair play to you for asking the question.

• Like 1

The first goal we allowed McLean a free run from the throw in, after such a positive start to turn off and let the throw in go over their heads to the runner was criminal. Aberdeen sensed blood and came forward in numbers looking for a second, which Cerny was so unlucky to concede.

Thought we were much better going forward and despite not creating many opportunities we had 2 very good chances, sadly both were struck high and the keeper made the saves.

Lots of positives today when directly compared to the last 2 games.

We probably had more clear chances than Aberdeen and judging from the players' reaction, it was surely a handball for the first goal but it still felt like a routine win for them. The Dons seem to be an upgraded version of St Johnstone's dour efficiency, again doing enough to win without looking particularly brilliant.

Although they controlled the first half, nothing much happened - we were pedestrian without any fluency or team pattern. We were a bit better in the second half but we really miss the wow factor from Higgy & O'Donnell - there's no pace or verve about our attacks.

I like Sean Welsh as a player but he had a poor match and should have buried his chance as should Booth with both of his but at least they got into the box. Bannigan and Osman were a bit subdued too. Pogba doesn't look like the answer and it encourages the easy option of a punt up the park. Lawless was the only player who looked as if he might create something and although I was a critic last season I thought Stevenson made some impact as sub - I would play the two of them and Doolan as our front three.

Henry and Lindsay were fine and I wouldn't say that Frans & Seabourne should be first choices on current form. I am happy to watch young guys get a chance. McDaid however had a very poor game and hasn't shown much anytime I've seen him - whoever nominated him MotM must have been either pissed or taking the piss.

The Thistle fans were surprisingly patient though not enough of us were there...but it looks like a hard season ahead and I suspect we will be fewer in number and more critical.

Was a little bit better than the Falkirk game though I didn't really think Aberdeen came out of first gear. Thought our heads went down a bit after the dubious first goal and can't believe yet again Cerny makes a great save but our defenders sleep and the forward scores similar to Cerny's penalty save last week against Hearts. Pogba looks a physical presence but isn't going to be an out and out goal scorer and certainly hasn't got Doolans touch or movement. Think we're being a bit harsh on Declan Mcdaid , he's only 20 yrs old and I would rather have his effort in the team than say Stevenson's performance against Hearts . Still not sure why Archibald persists in playing right sided players like Mcdaid on the left wing . Middle to front we're sorely lacking and I would prefer Welsh being the defensive midfielder alongside Osman with Bannigan further forward . Hopefully get a couple of players in before the transfer window closes or it's going to be a long season.

Clear handball for first goal - should never have stood.

Other bizarre decisions by ref, surely battling with Beaton for the title of worst ref of the season

Poor attempted clearance by Miller for second goal

Pogba not as strong as I thought he would be but did have some good touches

midfield still not supporting striker quickly enough

Lawless did well today

Booth and Miller not good enough for this level

Only one shot on target

No goals scored

Have to agree with the Aberdeen fans - we're going down with the Killie.

Clear handball for first goal - should never have stood.

Other bizarre decisions by ref, surely battling with Beaton for the title of worst ref of the season

Pogba not as strong as I thought he would be but did have some good touches

midfield still not supporting striker quickly enough

Lawless did well today

Only one shot on target

No goals scored

Have to agree with the Aberdeen fans - we're going down with the Killie.

Was it not mcdaid who "cleared" the ball for the second goal?

Finnie is an appalling ref, some of the free kicks have gave today were shocking, in his book football is a non contact sport. Also when the thistle players were protesting about the handball for the first goal he didn't even go ask the linesman.

Edited by kennymac29

Only one shot on target

Was it not McDaid who cleared the ball over his head, onto the penalty spot?

I thought again both miller and booth were great. Miller in particular was defensively solid and was always available when attacking.

Aberdeen Bigger, fitter and more "professional" than us, but really would like

to see more consistent refereeing.

Seems the "big teams" get away with a lot. Yet Freddy gets booked for 1st foul.

How many times did they kick the ball away when conceding a free kick?Thought that was a bookable

offence?! how many booked?

Not sour grapes at all, after all they are a top 3 team, just would like a level playing field!

Could the standard of refereeing be a factor in falling crowds? _ Discuss

If I didn't have a season ticket, might not go to so many games if I knew who was ref.

P.S. McDaid m.o.m.? what are they serving in hospitality? and can it be available to the rest of us??

Edited by JAGSMAN1968

Aberdeen Bigger, fitter and more "professional" than us, but really would like

to see more consistent refereeing.

Seems the "big teams" get away with a lot. Yet Freddy gets booked for 1st foul.

How many times did they kick the ball away when conceding a free kick?Thought that was a bookable

offence?! how many booked?

Not sour grapes at all, after all they are a top 3 team, just would like a level playing field!

Could the standard of refereeing be a factor in falling crowds? _ Discuss

If I didn't have a season ticket, might not go to so many games if I knew who was ref.

They were cuter than us, falling over at the slightest contact, pushing our players just at the right moment. Assisting the referee with every decision.