Versus Aberdeen

Dark Passenger

I hate to be the guy to pick an easy target but I'm afraid it's going to take a miracle for me to even consider Declan McDaid as an SPL level footballer, he just does nothing but run about like a wee boy. Must have seen close to 10 hours of him in a jags jersey between his starts and sub appearances, 1 cross at St Mirren which resulted in Elliot's winner is the only positive thing he's done in that time. Never seen him go by a man, play someone in, earn a penalty, force a great save from a keeper. He does zilch. Archie must be raging with Amoo to drop him for McDaid.

McDaid was poor today, but went by plenty of Hearts players when he came on last week.

Why? Why not have a go at sponsors who were clearly taking the piss?

Well most times when the fans don't agree with the sponsors there is maybe a murmur raised through the stand - but today it was derisory, a reaction that McDaid couldn't fail to miss. At the moment all our players need encouragement from the fans.

I cannae be ersed with this we need to have a jags man of the match. If we get beat, then unless the thistle goalies (or another player) had a great game, either don't give a man of the match or give it to an away player.

To be fair today I don't think Aberdeen had any standouts so no one really deserved it but how can it be helpful to give a thistle player a man of the match when we have lost? They must feel as embarrassed receiving it as we do hearing it over the tannoy.

I cannae be ersed with this we need to have a jags man of the match. If we get beat, then unless the thistle goalies (or another player) had a great game, either don't give a man of the match or give it to an away player.

To be fair today I don't think Aberdeen had any standouts so no one really deserved it but how can it be helpful to give a thistle player a man of the match when we have lost? They must feel as embarrassed receiving it as we do hearing it over the tannoy.

Well, that's a positive to take from the day.

• Like 1

Thanks Barney. Sounds like a lovely day. Thanks for providing the context. After all, it's kind of important.

Just to say, not having a go. However you are pretty critical of what goes on. I appreciate not everyone can attend due to commitments but it's kind of important that criticism has context imo.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

Well most times when the fans don't agree with the sponsors there is maybe a murmur raised through the stand - but today it was derisory, a reaction that McDaid couldn't fail to miss. At the moment all our players need encouragement from the fans.

I doubt he would have noticed, he didn't seem to notice much else.

He ran about lost today. Management are to blame as well as some senior players for not getting a grip and giving some direction.

However I just don't see what he offers. Lightweight and not good enough. He's been in the first team long enough now to show what he can do. If the choice is between him and Amoo then we have some real concerns.

How can you give a man of the match to someone who's barely touched the ball apart from their second goal and offered next to nothing? The sponsors are to blame for the reaction of the crowd as it was sheer disbelief.

Edited by 1876Jag

As I saw it, we were fairly even with them in first half in terms of possession and chances (admittedly, the stats might prove me wrong). Second half, they looked more composed than us and more likely to score, without being particularly outstanding.

Far too many occasions in the first half when Pogba received a decent ball only to look up and see no Thistle players within 20 yards of him as an outlet. The game in the first half was screaming out for a Pogba / Doolan presence. But if we must go with 5 in the midfield at home, surely there has to be somebody supporting the lone striker and ready to follow up everything that goes to him? Nope.

Difficult to summarise a game like that apart from the fact that they took their goals well while we struggled to reciprocate with our chances. I think we seem to be carrying some irrational fear at the moment, and it looks like we expect to struggle. Whether that's coming directly from Archie, or whether the players have lost some self-belief, I just don't know. I would, though, like to see us jettison some of the undue caution we're exhibiting just now; it seems to have begun with the inexplicable hyper caution we demonstrated against Celtic. We've never overcome any opponent by showing them excessive respect; even K*llie showed enough audacity against the Tims to burgle a point off them. We need to start acting like a team that believes it belongs in the Premiership rather than one that feels guilty for being there.

Btw, looked like a definite hand ball from behind the goal, but I look forward to having another look when the chance arises.

Monni Jags.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Osman awful today again weak link in midfield. Frans again weak at the back I'm confused about the love in with him a slightly better piccolo and that doesn't say much. We looked better in defence with Lindsay and Hendry to be honest.

There are worse teams than us Kille Inverness Hamilton etc' top 3 gone for now bring on he rest.

Thanks Barney. Sounds like a lovely day. Thanks for providing the context. After all, it's kind of important.

Just to say, not having a go. However you are pretty critical of what goes on. I appreciate not everyone can attend due to commitments but it's kind of important that criticism has context imo.

Cheers LSR. It really was a lovely and humbling experience.

Before going to the monastery, I had thought of saying a prayer for the Jags while I was there. When I arrived, I saw literally hundreds of pilgrims who had made their way up a very steep summit in various states of frailty and/or disability, so it then seemed kind of inappropriate.

Just to clarify, I'm delighted with the advances the club has made since ditching the Bunnet in 2007. If I ever come across as critical, it's probably due to frustration that the team is not achieving to the full level of its ability on certain days. As many others have said, this is easily the most talented squad of players the club has had since the late 70s. They have the ability to make the top 6 if they can find that element of self-belief that would bring the consistency which is required to do so. Archie has done a great job developing the foundations that Jackie laid, and I'm confident that he will get us out of the current run of disappointing results.

While I'm at it, this neanderthal nomad does not do Facebook or Twitter, so this message board is an invaluable resource to get the information on what really happens during the games. It's great to read all the opinions and debates on here as it keeps me fully in touch from afar. If it does occasionally get a little heated, it's only because we are all passionate about the club and want the team to be what we know it can be. Which is the way it should be.

• Like 1

On watching the video Finnie's view of the handball may have been obscured by Osman. I can't believe any ref would have allowed that to have stood had he seen it. Decided the game as far as I'm concerned. I have no doubt that Aberdeen are a better side than Thistle but they didn't show it yesterday. The first half was a non event, but we'd started the second well before their goal. It really rocked us and the next 10 minutes Aberdeen were well on top and capitalised with the 2nd goal.

The sponsors choice of McDaid as man of the match was laughable. The boy had a poor, poor game. Don't remember him going past his man once, his positional sense was poor and he was at fault at both goals. He's shown flashes of ability in other games but he's going to a need a lot of coaching to turn him into a player.

...Far too many occasions in the first half when Pogba received a decent ball only to look up and see no Thistle players within 20 yards of him as an outlet. The game in the first half was screaming out for a Pogba / Doolan presence. But if we must go with 5 in the midfield at home, surely there has to be somebody supporting the lone striker and ready to follow up everything that goes to him? Nope.

...Monni Jags.

Spot on: what's the point in having a potential combination of adroit smallish player and big bruiser and not using them to disrupt the opposition's defence?

It really is time to stop insisting on players sticking to a formation that doesn't take advantage of the capabilities they have to offer.

Lumping high balls to an isolated Pogba without any midfield support through the centre or any companion striker to play off him? Just a waste of possession. Taking the ball up to the wing and crossing it in the hope that somehow the tall goalkeeper and two tall centre backs will misjudge it and allow our one striker to get past all three of them? Another waste. When the system requires a centre back taking the ball into the centre of the park to release it and retreat, despite the hesitance of the Aberdeen players - then the system isn't working.

Keep doing the same thing, and you'll get the same result - which is exactly what we're getting. Time to change it, Archie.

• Like 1

Spot on: what's the point in having a potential combination of adroit smallish player and big bruiser and not using them to disrupt the opposition's defence?

It really is time to stop insisting on players sticking to a formation that doesn't take advantage of the capabilities they have to offer.

Lumping high balls to an isolated Pogba without any midfield support through the centre or any companion striker to play off him? Just a waste of possession. Taking the ball up to the wing and crossing it in the hope that somehow the tall goalkeeper and two tall centre backs will misjudge it and allow our one striker to get past all three of them? Another waste. When the system requires a centre back taking the ball into the centre of the park to release it and retreat, despite the hesitance of the Aberdeen players - then the system isn't working.

Keep doing the same thing, and you'll get the same result - which is exactly what we're getting. Time to change it, Archie.

Exactly.

The worry is that things cant be changed with the current set of players.. The return of Welsh only seems to have made the midfield unit worse. We have never had success when punting in long balls from the middle or from wide since we have been back in the top flight . It's desperate stuff to watch as well. The next two signings will define our season imo.

Edited by angry gaz

Exactly.

The worry is that things cant be changed with the current set of players.. The return of Welsh only seems to have made the midfield unit worse. We have never had success when punting in long balls from the middle or from wide since we have been back in the top flight . It's desperate stuff to watch as well. The next two signings will define our season imo.

You're absolutely right about the balance in midfield , biggest thing for me was letting Craigen go with no replacement lined up to replace him. James Craigen polarised opinion amongst Jags fans but for me he improved every year coming from university football.

At this moment in time he's exactly the sort of player we're missing to get the balance in midfield right, linking midfield and the forward ! with an energy and fitness .

• Like 2