November 14 – A Win:win Option?

CCjag

The vagaries of the fixture list see Thistle heading for Pittodrie on Wednesday 30 December and fans wishing/able to attend (likely to be a very few, of whom I will be one) will face the need to take a day (or possibly two if the kick-off remains set for the evening) off work.

Even home fans might be less than enthusiastic about venturing out on what will inevitably be a cold and probably generally inclement evening.

Thistle supporters’ buses, though still costing the same for organisers, will be sparsely populated and, all in all, it’s a fixture most could well do without.

Even the clubs concerned are unlikely to relish the prospect, so why not take the obvious way out?

Scotland’s failure to make the Play-Offs for France 2016 was lamentable, but does mean that the week-end set aside for these matches is now free.

There are no fixtures scheduled for 14-15 November, no television agreements which would hold sway over the needs of mere fans and I am unaware of sufficient players from either squad who will be occupied on International duty at the time, although I may be proven wrong on that one!

Assuming, however, that this latter point does not prove an insurmountable stumbling block, why not request that the fixture be switched to 14/11?

Aberdeen FC would certainly get a bigger attendance and therefore increased revenue.

Partick Thistle would find the fixture less onerous both financially and logistically than the midweek alternative.

Fans of both clubs would surely benefit and find a Saturday, or even Sunday, fixture in November preferable to an evening match sandwiched between Xmas and New Year?

In fact, with the exception of those sides with a multitude of players on International duty (few and far between I suspect) the SPFL could do us all a favour and switch the entire fixture list scheduled for 30/12 to the free weekend.

An opportunity to prove that football doesn’t actually operate a business where the customer is always right irrelevant???

• Like 8

The vagaries of the fixture list see Thistle heading for Pittodrie on Wednesday 30 December and fans wishing/able to attend (likely to be a very few, of whom I will be one) will face the need to take a day (or possibly two if the kick-off remains set for the evening) off work.

Even home fans might be less than enthusiastic about venturing out on what will inevitably be a cold and probably generally inclement evening.

Thistle supporters’ buses, though still costing the same for organisers, will be sparsely populated and, all in all, it’s a fixture most could well do without.

Even the clubs concerned are unlikely to relish the prospect, so why not take the obvious way out?

Scotland’s failure to make the Play-Offs for France 2016 was lamentable, but does mean that the week-end set aside for these matches is now free.

There are no fixtures scheduled for 14-15 November, no television agreements which would hold sway over the needs of mere fans and I am unaware of sufficient players from either squad who will be occupied on International duty at the time, although I may be proven wrong on that one!

Assuming, however, that this latter point does not prove an insurmountable stumbling block, why not request that the fixture be switched to 14/11?

Aberdeen FC would certainly get a bigger attendance and therefore increased revenue.

Partick Thistle would find the fixture less onerous both financially and logistically than the midweek alternative.

Fans of both clubs would surely benefit and find a Saturday, or even Sunday, fixture in November preferable to an evening match sandwiched between Xmas and New Year?

In fact, with the exception of those sides with a multitude of players on International duty (few and far between I suspect) the SPFL could do us all a favour and switch the entire fixture list scheduled for 30/12 to the free weekend.

An opportunity to prove that football doesn’t actually operate a business where the customer is always right irrelevant???

Too obviously sensible for everybody concerned to happen.

But why not e-mail the club just to point it out. You never know....

Far to sensible. Rooney for Aberdeen may get in ROI squad. Cannot think of anyone else.

For festive period fixtures should be created for local derbies to reduce travel time and cost.

Years ago the Ne'erday games were always derbies; we used to play one of the ugly sisters or Clyde around then, if I recall correctly.

add in the likelihood weather on 30 december will be poorer than 14-15 november ..... long range forecasts for december point to wetter than seasonal average, with above average chance turning colder and more snow and freezing temperatures late december-into january, while november long range forecast is dryer than seasonal average, and no worse than seasonal average temperatures.

so risk of games being off (doesn't need to be unplayable pitch, police could call off due to unsafe surroundings and access to grounds), increased chances of accidents, poorer driving conditions, fans less likely to travel, and all matches for 30 december which include some long hauls are .....

sheep v thistle

hackies v fake thistle

jamtarts v disunited

notsowell v farmers

shantytown v cunty

and bt sports have dumpdee v greenshite as a 745 live game.

so, that'll be that then, 30 december 745 kick offs for everyone it will be. fu(k the fans.

Edited by yoda-jag

Far to sensible. Rooney for Aberdeen may get in ROI squad. Cannot think of anyone else.

For festive period fixtures should be created for local derbies to reduce travel time and cost.

So why not provisionally schedule for 14-15 November and if Rooney does get called up to ROI squad then it can be put back to the 30th December nobody loses out with that.

CCjag you are genius... I'm going to see Kevin Bridges on 14th Nov at the AECC - if the game at pitoddrie could be switched to the 14th / 15th it would almost be as if Carlsberg were now in charge of arranging the fixtures... :):D:)

please, please, please Mr Doncaster....

I live in Stonehaven (15 miles south of Aberdeen ) and even I would be reluctant to attend a midweek game in the festive season so what chance do we have of getting a support to travel the the 140 miles or so returning home late at night, therefore the proposed switch makes so much sense , but then the numpties running our national sport don't have too much of that !!!

The only issue is that I know some people who have bought their train tickets already, in order to get cheap deals, and have booked a couple of rooms to stay over. However I am sure that they would still rather have a Saturday in Aberdeen than a freezing December night.

Does anyone know if Rooney was in the ROI squad for the last 2 games?

McInnis may also see this as an opportunity to increase their lead over Celtic (he will assume Dons will beat us)!!! Anyway fingers crossed common sense prevails and they move the game

• 2 weeks later...

The high regard we held him in shows just how bad we were at that time. Looking back, he was really no better than mediocre - especially considering the effort and expense the club incurred to get his work permit. Crazy to think that we finished 5th in Division 2 that season - 3rd place would have gotten us promoted as well.

Edited by ian_mac

The high regard we held him in shows just how bad we were at that time. Looking back, he was really no better than mediocre - especially considering the effort and expense the club incurred to get his work permit. Crazy to think that we finished 5th in Division 2 that season - 3rd place would have gotten us promoted as well.

I think he was better than mediocre and would have flourished in a more accomplished team.

Never forget him going head to head and exchanging tricks with Jose Quitongo in the "away" fixture against Hamilton at Firhill. The 2 of them were on a different planet!